Just given up on...
  • Took me 2 years to fill the bugs on the museum in ACNL.

I think being able to get that final rare stag beetle would be far less satisfying without the wait.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah, I think AC is really good for this. The seasonal bugs and fish may turn people off if they miss a window, but for me it gives me an set of long-term rotating objectives to work towards.

I didn’t get all the fish in March, and I didn’t buy turnips yesterday but that’s ok because there’s next week for turnips and the fish will be back.
  • I burnt out on AC. Mainly due to the fact I was furloughed and had all the time so I just binged it. As Questor said, repetitive dialogue and gameplay are too much too bare, especially when they expect players to keep logging in everyday for years. Tapping away at the A button is all I seem to do in the game and it can get mind numbing.

It's a lovely game. The cuteness is unparalleled and the graphics are gorgeous. I will still pop it on to have a run about and do some stuff, but the core gameplay loop is so shallow. I expected many, many more mini games and events to get lost in, but really it' just a very simplistic fishing game with some tree shaking and customisation options.

The missus has fallen deeply into it. I've never seen her so addicted to a game. First thing she does every morning is turn AC on. I'm now after something new to play. I really want to buy Nioh 2 right now but my sensible self is telling me to avoid it like the plague...
  • Brotherhood is probably the best one in the series.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Origins, actually
  • Is odyssey any good? It’s cheap on epic store and I’ve got a ten quid voucher burning a hole in my virtual wallet.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Tempy wrote:
    Origins, actually

Is that a serious response? Cos I wanted to play another Creed at some point. Haven’t really played one properly (just bits of 3 and 4) since Brotherhood. I was burnt out.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Is odyssey any good? It’s cheap on epic store and I’ve got a ten quid voucher burning a hole in my virtual wallet.

It's better than Exodus.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Origins, actually
    Is that a serious response? Cos I wanted to play another Creed at some point. Haven’t really played one properly (just bits of 3 and 4) since Brotherhood. I was burnt out.

IMO, yep.

Origins and Odyssey are both good, for various reasons. I played them both (the opposite way around) and I ended up preferring Origins. It's more intimate, has tigther combat, has less of the issues with gear and inability to assassinate/damage tough enemies (though not entirely absent) and I think Bayek is a great protagonist. The Scales of the Crocodile is probably the best mission series in any AC game ever.
  • Just finishing up Origins now before taking on Odyssey. Have struggled a little with Origins as I was initially put off by the levelling to continue the main storyline, however after playing a number of game’s recently that are much more instantly gratifying it’s been a nice turn of pace. Bought origins for a tenner in the sale and some deluxe Odyssey package for £20, excited.
  • Right, just grabbed gold edition of Origins for £9, now to find time to play it...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The thing with AC Greece is that it had just too much going on.  It lacked focus and instead went for as big and as much as possible and then failed (probably through both budget and timescales) to provide either a coherent sense of place or an actual crafted and thoughtful game.  There was stuff to enjoy in there but far far far too much jank around it especially for a triple a.  Both RDR2 and BotW have raised the bar so significantly for open world AAA that what used to pass as acceptable is now just not quite there any more.
  • I think aesthetically the world worked really well. I liked travelling all over by boat and seeing the new places, each island had its own little feeling to it - one of them had a purple dye works going on and they did a good job of suffusing the environment with a nice purple hue, and similarly there was a town that fished tons of octopus and it was nice and ruddy orange hue. 

Fundamentally both places were almost identical, but I disagree that the world design for AAA has had its bar raised by those games in such a way that what Odyssey offers is pointless, it's going for that quasi-historical myhtologic feel and I think it nails that myself. I think the various Ubi studios worked really hard to give areas their own feel and character even if the underlying game was fairly predictable.

I guess what I am saying is... whilst they might not be the best, they're still engaging worlds in many ways.
  • Yeah, Odyssey was truely epic in scale with some lovely moreish combat and a fantastic protagonist (if you played as the lady). I got 3/4 of the divine beasts in BotW and, I dunno, as far as the swamps in RDR2 before boredom set in. Odyssey's open world was just breathtaking at times.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Alternatively I didnt last long with Odyssey at all, mainly because I found the combat dull.
  • I found the combat way less enjoyable than Origins.
  • I definitely do not get the love for the main character.  I’d read loads about how wonderful she was but I just couldn’t get to it.  Never mind the massive cliches they’d saddled her with, i just couldn’t get over how poorly written much of the dialogue was and how downright rotten the soundmix was then forced around it.  I really wanted to like this one too.  The previous entry had (apparently) set decent foundations, the setting should be right up my alley and I usually find Tempys recommendations on here really match my likes too but I just couldn’t find my feet with it all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Origins, actually

I can lend you it if you want?
  • No thanks, I have no idea when I will play it. Just for future reference, when I do get round to it, I was wondering which is more well-received out of latest two. 

What did you think of it?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've obviously not played either yet, despite owning both #classicmuzz

I will soon tho!
  • All I can say is that I was a noisy critic of the AssCree games but Odyssey was class. Can loan on bone to anyone if they'd like.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hi
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually, don't. I need to get on with Persona 5 R
  • Reading about animal crossing and it's mundanities and the issue with being too simple makes me want to shout at folks to try cities skylines even more.

It can be a little daunting at first, but it's actually very user friendly, it's got that puttering along feel, you can frequently just let your city tick along, but there's also miriad things to do, or improve and early on problems to solve.

Mrs face is more obsessed than I am, and I love it.

Anyhoo.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I read earlier that entering the fishing competition in AC involves pressing the A button 29 times.
    Each attempt.

I brought this up while playing Yakuza 0 and it wasnt even that bad in that game.

Pokemon is heroundous for it, been playing this pissing game for decades I dont need
    "Hi welcome to the pokemon centre."
    A
    "This is where you can you heal your pokemon"
    A
    "Would you like to heal your pokemon"
    A
    *animation*
    "Your pokemon are fully healed, we hope to see you again"
    A

The Japanese have too much patience for bullshit.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    It wasn't 29 times but it was kinda annoying

They just need to implement some Quality of Life changes to make it less time consuming.
  • They wont. This is almost every Japanese game.
    I assume it is because in Japanese these things are more compressed due to the characters in their language.
  • Yeah it's the main reason I'm not playing the game now.

@Face Is Skylines on Gamepass?? Are you playing on Xbox?? Might try it...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Say goodbye to the next fortnight

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!