Just given up on...
  • Agreed (with meh), puzzling positive critical reception for it. Iconoclasts is much better if you want a pseudo 32-bit Metroidvania lite.
  • I finished Owlboy. It was pretty average aye but not total pish.
  • Yeah agreed, I think I settled on a [6] for it.
  • It definitely did not spark joy when I played it. Beautiful, but soporific pacing.
  • Yeah. I wanted to like it as it did a lot of good but it’s pacing just put me right off. Shame as critical reception was strong but I haven’t come across a irl person who actually enjoyed it.
  • Jet Lancers. It's a 2D shooty thing like Luftrausers. I thought it was OK for a while, but it has the oddest difficulty spike at stage 15 and I just can't do it.

Score 60000 points in 3 minutes. That's it. None of the other missions work like this - usually you just shoot all enemies or specific targets. This is the first one to introduce scoring and a time limit. So I shoot things non-stop for 3 minutes, barely making a mistake, and I've got about 30000 points. Do it again. Same. There's no obvious way to increase score quicker. Then I manage 40000, but I don't know how. Next time it's back down again. After hours of this, I once managed 59000 - I don't know how, but just short. So tough.

This game has accessibility options. You can make yourself invincible. Makes no difference here. You don't score the points, you don't win. And you have to finish this level to move on to the next.

Maybe it's just a really challenging game? Nope. Not until this point anyway. I did the first 14 levels and level 16 (which is also open at this stage) with few problems. I've even got the best rank on some of them. Nothing has been particularly taxing so far.

I watched a Youtube vid of someone doing stage 15. It was a Japanese one so I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I could maybe pick up some strategies that I'd missed. They were doing exactly what I was. There's no trick, no combo system I've missed. Just shoot an absolute shit load of planes solidly for 3 minutes.

Except even that might not work. A couple of times whnen I've been doing quite well, suddenly there's a gap between waves, and by the time the next lot arrives you're behind again. It's a nightmare. The game isn't even particularly good.

I'm going to bed. Just needed to vent a little first.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Something something git gud
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    Jet Lancers. It's a 2D shooty thing like Luftrausers. I thought it was OK for a while, but it has the oddest difficulty spike at stage 15 and I just can't do it.

Score 60000 points in 3 minutes. That's it. None of the other missions work like this - usually you just shoot all enemies or specific targets. This is the first one to introduce scoring and a time limit. So I shoot things non-stop for 3 minutes, barely making a mistake, and I've got about 30000 points. Do it again. Same. There's no obvious way to increase score quicker. Then I manage 40000, but I don't know how. Next time it's back down again. After hours of this, I once managed 59000 - I don't know how, but just short. So tough.

This game has accessibility options. You can make yourself invincible. Makes no difference here. You don't score the points, you don't win. And you have to finish this level to move on to the next.

Maybe it's just a really challenging game? Nope. Not until this point anyway. I did the first 14 levels and level 16 (which is also open at this stage) with few problems. I've even got the best rank on some of them. Nothing has been particularly taxing so far.

I watched a Youtube vid of someone doing stage 15. It was a Japanese one so I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I could maybe pick up some strategies that I'd missed. They were doing exactly what I was. There's no trick, no combo system I've missed. Just shoot an absolute shit load of planes solidly for 3 minutes.

Except even that might not work. A couple of times whnen I've been doing quite well, suddenly there's a gap between waves, and by the time the next lot arrives you're behind again. It's a nightmare. The game isn't even particularly good.

I'm going to bed. Just needed to vent a little first.
    Bob wrote:
  • So I ditched Owlboy, thanks guys. 

Started MO:Astray. Much more like it. Reckon I'll stick with, elements of Dandara and Rain World. But not as unpolished as Rain World and not quite as you can only stick to walls as Dandara. A real looker in the pixel art genre too. Hope it doesn't shit the bed.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Jet Lancers. It's a 2D shooty thing like Luftrausers. I thought it was OK for a while, but it has the oddest difficulty spike at stage 15 and I just can't do it. Score 60000 points in 3 minutes. That's it. None of the other missions work like this - usually you just shoot all enemies or specific targets. This is the first one to introduce scoring and a time limit. So I shoot things non-stop for 3 minutes, barely making a mistake, and I've got about 30000 points. Do it again. Same. There's no obvious way to increase score quicker. Then I manage 40000, but I don't know how. Next time it's back down again. After hours of this, I once managed 59000 - I don't know how, but just short. So tough. This game has accessibility options. You can make yourself invincible. Makes no difference here. You don't score the points, you don't win. And you have to finish this level to move on to the next. Maybe it's just a really challenging game? Nope. Not until this point anyway. I did the first 14 levels and level 16 (which is also open at this stage) with few problems. I've even got the best rank on some of them. Nothing has been particularly taxing so far. I watched a Youtube vid of someone doing stage 15. It was a Japanese one so I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I could maybe pick up some strategies that I'd missed. They were doing exactly what I was. There's no trick, no combo system I've missed. Just shoot an absolute shit load of planes solidly for 3 minutes. Except even that might not work. A couple of times whnen I've been doing quite well, suddenly there's a gap between waves, and by the time the next lot arrives you're behind again. It's a nightmare. The game isn't even particularly good. I'm going to bed. Just needed to vent a little first.
    OK, I did fuck up. A bit. It turns out there are two different secondary weapons - special and charge - mapped to the same button, both with separate cooldown timers. I was only using the big charge weapon, which takes longer to cool down, but in between you can also fire off homing missiles by tapping the same button. That obviously helps in taking out targets quicker. I guess this was explained at the beginning, but not in a clear way and I still think it's a confusing way of doing things.

But, with all my previous practice it was enough to get me through mission 15 after a number of tries. It's still a terrible difficulty spike - by contrast I then did mission 17 on my first try in under a minute - and a shitty kind of challenge. It's not good design - someone just decided to go too big on an arbitrary number. But it's not quite as ridiculous as I thought before, and fuck me I've wasted a lot of time on it.

Edit: I suppose the amazing thing is that I almost did it without missiles.
  • Mission 37 - 120000 points in 3 minutes. Oh just fuck off.

At least I feel like I'm far enough through to form an opinion now.
  • Hahaha. Brilliant.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Use the secondary primary weapon!
  • Or the tertiary reserve first choice secondary one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • There is more stuff to shoot in this one and I do have a few more upgrades now, but it's still a shitty and tedious challenge.
  • Luigis masion 3

King boo can go fuck himself along with the shanky controls
    PSN - minkymu
  • My karcher pressure washer. Just set it up and wife insisted she clean the patio. Shes made such a mess. Im gonna have to go clean up after her. Sigh.....
  • Shes a squirter
    PSN - minkymu
  • How did the patio come up? I've been tempted to get my washer out...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Patios. Stick astro turf on them. Vacuum to clean and a lovely feeling underfoot.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm building a dick over the top of mine.

• How did the patio come up? I've been tempted to get my washer out...

Really nice, pressure washers do make a difference. Gotta use it on driveway as well to see if that makes a difference. Also plan is to use it to wash the cars as well. Got a snow lance attachment and snow foam is on order.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm starting to think Morrowind is a game you definitely had to be there for.
  • N'wah!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • God of War.

At least, I shifted down to 'Tell me a story' difficulty, and I may just pack it in altogether.

Was this game really over rated? I enjoyed the original GoW but Kratos was such an arse I never felt inspired to play beyond GoW 2. In the reboot I've found to combat to be a bad combination of dull and frustratingly tricky at times - this was coming in straight from completing Bloodborne, by the way. I've returned after a break and still hated the combat but am enjoying it a bit more on lower difficulty.
    The RPG systems feel half baked and a bit opaque
    and the open world back and forth doesn't feel like it suits a game with such a simple overall goal.
    Kratos is a bit more interesting, I guess, but I'm not as gripped as I was with Horizon Zero Dawn.

I just hate giving up on a game that everyone else wets themselves over.

I'm not too far in - cleared the dark elves section. Can anyone persuade me to stick with this? I want to clear a lot of my stack of shame before Cyberpunk launches...
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Pretty much agree with all that. I found it very overrated. It's a decent game but the puzzling and exploration was painful after a while.

There are some good moments that are probably worth seeing I suppose.
  • Don’t think it’s overrated, it has a fair few detractors. There are definitely some poor choices in the combat compared to your tighter Japanese fare, but apart from the horrible teleporting shaman lads (whose ground based poison waves you can counterintuitively block) and a handful of difficulty spikes here and there, often off the beaten path, biffing up goons is a fairly decent affair. There are some pretty decent challenges too, if you do eventually get to grips with stuff.

I’d say that I similarly disliked the Dark Elves section too, it is quite rough and you don’t have a lot of answers to their ranged attacks. I think it’s trying to get you used to throwing Leviathan, but I found it a bit fiddly. I preferred the majority of the game after.

Can’t argue with the RPG stuff, it’s really misplaced. Best advice is to find some kind of regen or health on parry rune, slot that and forget about most of it.
  • If you’re not enjoying it, it won’t get better for you. Pack it in. Personally, I loved almost every minute of it. The world/level design and progression is great and the combat is decent enough. I loved what they bad did with the lore, and the different encounters and hidden enemies are just my kind of thing. Easy GotY for me, that was.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have God of War 3 in my PS+ catalogue. I have never played a GoW game. Worth a go?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!