Just given up on...
  • Edit - Darn page turn!

Re: Alien Isolation

Yeah, agree with you all. I think the only reason I managed to finish it, was because at the time I was pretty much going through a period of having only one game on the go.

Would love the same team to make a sequel, with a more 'Aliens' vibe. I think a few more action packed levels, would made the whole claustrophobia of 'isolation' more digestible, and probably more effective as a result.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    City of Brass

It got a couple hours. Its a Rogue-like first person dungeon crawler, usual kinda gubbins, and its in first person. Its decent enough, the whip and sword mechanic are good but quickly get old (first person melee is always shite) and its way too repetitive compared to other rogues. The aesthetic is a bit meh too.

Gonna finish Celeste now then go ball's deep into Ashen.
  • Breath of the Wild:

(For now, at least)

On the 3rd DB. It seems a similar, simple puzzle box design with rotate/raise things functionality as the ones before. Hyrule is often pretty but sparse (with a crazy - edge-softening? - penchant for stable-formed safe-spaces) , narrative is bare-bones....  

I've enjoyed a lot of what I've played and definitely got my monies worth but just struggling to find the motivation to seal the deal - unlike every other Zelda game I've played (almost all of them) to date.
  • Yeah the DB's are one of the weakest things about the game. They are essentially optional, but the last boss is pretty bad too.

The main focus of that game is just exploring the world and seeing what's out there.
  • Yeah, it's got me craving proper dungeons so I'm going to run through OOT Master Quest version (1st time!) then I'll - mayber - get back to it.
  • I know a guy who raves about OOT random mode but I don't know what that is.
  • I mean, I can guess.
  • First MQ dungeon complete. Interesting, didn't expect new enemies along with different puzzle configurations...

Think I'll run both games in parallel to fully scratch that Zelda itch; then maybe try that OOT 'random mode' before the launch of BoTW2.
  • indigoDos wrote:
    First MQ dungeon complete. Interesting, didn't expect new enemies along with different puzzle configurations...

Eh? I don't remember seeing new enemies or any new puzzle configurations when I played it? I thought it was just more enemy health and they hit harder???
  • Yes, probably wasn't clear enough: talking about how puzzles and enemy placement/types are different in Ocarina of Time 3D's : Master Quest - not BoTW's: Master Mode; think that's just a bit harder.
  • Oh fuck I need to try that then I've got a 3DS and a copy. Is it available from the off or do you need to finish it first? Cheers.

I was actually on about OoT btw.
  • Yeah, you have to finish it first. It's still great, plus quality of life improved, not a chore in the least.

• Halo 1 in the bin, this recent playthrough anyway. Now I understand why I just used to play the same few early levels over and over, rocket flood literally ruin it for me, such a poor idea. Cannae be fucked. Only the good bits of Halo 1 are good.

On to a different one.
  • Lel. I mean, yeah, they can fuck a checkpoint, but I reckon I can remember all the spots the my show up, and when you get em at the right time, they fuck everything around them good.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Gurt, walking into h2 like, fuck those rocket dudes...

JySQ8il.jpg
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I definitely agree that only the good bits in Halo 1 are good. In fact, I’d be so bold to go as far as saying that only the good bits are good in every game ever created!!!

At least in the case of Halo 1, pretty much 99.9% of the game is good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • On your last point I massively disagree. If 99.9% of the game is good then it's basically all good. By my estimation around 30% of the game is quite shit, and it's the run of levels after the first appearance of the Flood. In my memory I thought the game as a whole was very good, and it is, but only the good bits, which are the first 6 or so stages which are fantastic and very memorable.
  • Ah forgot to add winkey smiley. Was being facetious. Kinda. 

I hate the Library.
  • I still think it’s amazing and easily a 10 for me, very easily, but there are plenty of niggles.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Halo 2 campaign fuckin rules and one day you'll understand that
  • Yeah i didn't really enjoy fighting the flood. I wouldnt go as far as saying it was shit, unless you're playing on legendary. Flood on legendary is painful.
  • Halo 1's combat is still incredible, probably the best of any of them just in terms of the feel and weightiness of it. And I think the few shitty floody levels are passable because the shooting remains fun despite the mostly uninteresting zombie enemies, in any other game I think people would bounce off hard on those sections.

I've moved on to Halo 2, which has always been my favourite I think, for a few reasons. The campaign and set pieces are consistently memorable, engaging, and have a surprising amount of variety. It doesn't fall into an extended slump like Halo 1 does, there's a couple of levels that aren't my favourites to go back to but even those manage to be generally inoffensive and brief. The gameplay and guns are lacking in some cases, but for the most part the combat feels proper fluid and violent. I love giving the marines OP weapons and trying to keep them alive.

The redone 'enhanced' graphics in 2 are really quite good, it's shocking how cohesive with the game they feel for the most part, they actually make a huge difference in doing justice to the intricate environments and level design. It's not perfect, there's a few areas that don't quite feel true to the original art direction, but for the most part it's a welcome change or enhancement.

It's shocking and odd that the work on Halo 1's enhanced graphics are so completely terrible in comparison, and probably a testament to the clean design of the original.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Yeah i didn't really enjoy fighting the flood. I wouldnt go as far as saying it was shit, unless you're playing on legendary. Flood on legendary is painful.

I think the first level where you meet the flood is fine, but after that the problem is they drag out the encounters with them for far far too long, through rehashed or just incredibly boring and poorly signposted level design. They are not anything like as fun or interesting as fighting the Covenant too. There are some fun story bits and cutscenes here and there, but really I was surprised at how poorly those bits have aged compared to the rest of the game. After the amazing first half it just feels really deflating to have to sit through that drearyness.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gurt is correct, the Flood are shite. That's part of the reason why Reach is the best campaign. It's also why I'm looking forward to Infinite, more brutes and covenant to fight
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Halo 1 is still the GOAT for me. As near as dammit a perfect game.
  • I only played Reach the once I think, and that was waay after release when I briefly rebought a 360 for some reason. I think the chonky frames and blur made it hard to enjoy compared to previous Halos, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it properly now, assuming the PC port is solid.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Halo 1 is still the GOAT for me. As near as dammit a perfect game.

Do you still enjoy The Library/Two Betrayals/Keyes?
  • I played the final level on my Series X recently and it was absolutely bloody brilliant even now.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Gurt, walking into h2 like, fuck those rocket dudes... JySQ8il.jpg

Halo 2 actually has a different culprit for me, flood again but the shotgun guys. In Halo 1 I feel like the shotun wielding flood weren't as dangerous, like they nerfed the damage they could do. In 2 the shotgunners are an instakill if they get within a couple of metres to you, they've killed me more than anything else.

Basically any unremarkable looking average goon enemy that is able to kill you in one shot if they happen to have the right weapon can fuck off. I don't mind it when they stand out like a sore thumb but when they completely blend into the crowd it's just annoying and stressful having to watch out for the fuckers.
  • Just finished Halo CE (well, not quite but I'm done - not doing a 6 min checkpointless warthog section again, so fifteen feet from the end will have to do). It's astonishingly good for how old it is but time has taken its toll here and there. The Flood are okay, especially with a shotty in hand, but there's no denying they're less enjoyable to kill than the covenant. Great stuff on the whole though, it was a [10] in its day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!