Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Managed 2 hours with Days Gone, doubt I'll ever go back. The most wooden ass cut scenes ever, just awful, and the game is just generic predictable zombie shite. Zzzz indeed.

Final straw was getting to a hospital type place I needed to get some medical stuff from (which is like 20 seconds drive from the nearest settlement yet is still full of tons of supplies?) and seeing the speakers on it ready to attract zombies to when I break in. Fuck off.

Deleted.
  • Mario 3D World Switch

Spent £100 on two copies so me and the missus could play together. We didn't even make ten minutes before switching off. Far too hectic to be any fun.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Managed 2 hours with Days Gone, doubt I'll ever go back. The most wooden ass cut scenes ever, just awful, and the game is just generic predictable zombie shite. Zzzz indeed.

Final straw was getting to a hospital type place I needed to get some medical stuff from (which is like 20 seconds drive from the nearest settlement yet is still full of tons of supplies?) and seeing the speakers on it ready to attract zombies to when I break in. Fuck off.

Deleted.

That's a shame there are some really good bits to that game. The hordes are great fun. Takes about five hours to get interesting though. The start of the game is boring as fuck.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A cinque chalice?
  • I'm burnt out on the mario formula it seems. Even single player ain't doing it for me.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The start of the game is boring as fuck.

Pity you didn’t stick at Sea of Thieves then ;)

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dead Rising

I'd never played it before, but thought i'd give it a go via gamepass. Although bashing zombies is fun, it just made me wonder how did we ever manage to play games with archaic save systems back in the day?
    There's a chance i may go back and play some more, but it was quite jarring how starting different missions and going through what i guess were loading screens (though basically non existent on SX) didn't save or checkpoint at all. My first death basically took me right back to the start of the game.
    Also trying to aim the guns is perhaps the most horrible aiming system ever.
    Also also, dunno if it's just the SX loading speed messing with things, but the start was a muddle of overlapping radio calls and mission intros

Whacking zombies with chainsaws and lawn mowers and plant pots was fun though, so might draw me back in...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, the save system, bosses etc were poor even on release. It's meant to be replayed over and over again to see everything. I just used it as a fun zombie smashing much about, seeing what you can find to use against the zeds.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The original DR? It's a very, very odd beast and I bounced off it several times when it was first released. Mod made me persevere though, and read a few guides, and once I'd got into the flow of it (easier said than done, admittedly) I absolutely loved loved loved it. One of my favourite games of that gen.

I can't imagine it's aged gracefully though, the save system was annoying back then. Honestly though, I think it'd be a totally different game if it wasn't like that. I've been tempted by a replay, but I've probably forgotten most of nuances at this point. I finished it twice on 360. Actually maybe 3 times.

One of the hardest games to get into that I've stuck with. The sequels never captured what I loved about the original.
  • Yeah the original, though dunno if there was a touched up rerelease on xbox one as it doesn't say xbox360 on the 'box art'.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DR2 was the best the series ever was, but I missed the wonky charm of the first.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nah.

*plops a bucket on reg*
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You just played yrself.gif
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    NG+

*ignores reg's call*

:D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just played myself
  • I tried twice to get into the first game. I had even bought it on release. But nah. It was way too clunky and laborious.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yup. The fact I powered through thanks to Mods encouragement and ended up absolutely loving it makes me think I should give a Souls game another pop some day after bouncing off when Elliot was a baby. I even bought the remaster on Bone in a sale, and have Demons on PS5 through game share. Still haven't dabbled.
  • Dead Rising reaaaaaally appeals to me and I really wanted to love it.  And I suspect I will if I persevere, which in hindsight I should have done.

Yeah, Souls can get a bit to get into - for some.  I went right into it.  But the (initial) harsh difficulty and how daunting it can be can put some off.  Once you get past some of the opening areas, it becomes easier.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • DR is definitely unique and takes some time to really wrap your head around.
    You are really set up to fail for a few runs but iirc your stat progression rolls into your next run.

So each restart offers better stats and better knowledge. The best way to start out imo is to just have fun for a few restarts, get the XP for the easy starting story missions and survivors but let it restart on death rather than reload.

Build up to surviving the 72 hours and getting to the roof. Take out some psychos, learn the map.

A run at the story takes some prior knowledge of where things are and really needs to be a somewhat dedicated run.
  • Yeah, people put up with its save structure because doing it another way would have undermined the core premise. It’s basically a roguelike, without randomisation or proc gen.
  • I've never played a Dead Rising game.
  • Hated Dead Rising when it launched. Went back to it years later and it became one of my favourites of the entire gen.
  • DR one had its flaws especially the save system. But theres something fun about playing a game set in a shopping mall full of zombies and using whatever you find as a weapon. DR2 improved on the formula. I think DR2 introduced the weapons blueprints (Coffe Maker + Mop becomes a wierd zombie killing weapon). It was fun to find those. Didnt finish DR3, save game is still on my pc but it was fun. Also DR4 which i have on my PS4 i nees to still complete.

I think the boss battles were really tough in DR series. The optional ones even more so. The janky controls didnt help. Theres still something very satisfying about slicing down herds of zombies with gardening shears attached to a frying pan while wearing a blanka mask and a tutu. Great stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe only temporarily... But Horizon Zero Dawn really ain't doing it for me. But quite sure why but. But all a bit laboured, and fighting is really disappointing, the story but grabbing me. Looks nice, and the world is interesting, but that's kinda it? Also 30 FPS smdh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I got to the end of Horizon, I liked what it did, even though it fed plot beat after beat at me via a little climbing sequence.

That being said, if I remember correctly, it did the same thing that
    Spoiler:
    did way before that, which I really enjoyed.
  • I played it for the gffx but wasn't that taken with the game. Preferred The Order.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Tried to give it another shot on the Series X but the frame rate and graphics boost aren't doing anything for the fact that it's a real clunky bastard. Just can't be arsed to wrestle with it any longer
  • regmcfly wrote:
    When I got to the end of Horizon, I liked what it did, even though it fed plot beat after beat at me via a little climbing sequence.

That being said, if I remember correctly, it did the same thing that
    Spoiler:
    did way before that, which I really enjoyed.

I do believe you passed this on to me Reg but I couldn't gel with it coz BotW had spoiled me in all the right places. There's just no chance for it now. Also, Enslaved was an enjoyable videogame but I can't remember much about it. Lots of overgrown cityscapes.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Maybe only temporarily... But Horizon Zero Dawn really ain't doing it for me. But quite sure why but. But all a bit laboured, and fighting is really disappointing, the story but grabbing me. Looks nice, and the world is interesting, but that's kinda it? Also 30 FPS smdh.

Skip the side missions and errands and just stick to the main story missions. Story improves and gets better. The story kept me going. I just started running past dinosaurs etc. Only fought if necessary.
  • Forget the story and go off into the wilds. Concentrate on taking down packs of robo-beasts and mucking about with weapons and traps. Find hunting ground challenges and hidden areas and other fun stuff without being told what to do. It's all about tracking down the biggest dinos and fucking them up with their own weapons.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!