Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • Google Pixel then eh? 4th October announcement. I know nothing about it. May be I should Google it.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Gonna be pissed off if they do a premium phone and no midrange one, like the rumours say.
  • Further to HTC10, same size as z3, hard to tell if it's lighter, as my z3 has a case and a tempered glass cover, but I still think it's lighter.

back, Home, Recent buttons are off screen though, so a touch more screen visible. 

Seems to be a noticible bump in sound quality and pure volume too, when it comes to music playback.

Also, massive credit for at no stage during set up forcing a single HTC app or anything on me. As vanilla as, and I simply transferred my last phone back up and last nova launcher back up and was 95% set up. 

obviously had to re login to a lot of apps, but outside of the physical time it took to download apps, I reckon everything took less than 30 minutes.

32g storage out of the box too.

So far, so good.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • App wise: have been trying Drupe as my dialer. it's cool.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Also, massive credit for at no stage during set up forcing a single HTC app or anything on me.  As vanilla as [...]

Quick look on Google image search suggests it's more that they've just integrated their shit better, rather than using all stock apps. Still, that's a massive improvement on the crap they used to do.
  • What are people's gripes about Samsung phones then? I've not owned one.

Considering the S7, I think if I'm going to be spending a bit on an expensive phone some decent water resistance is kind of essential.
  • Bloatware probably.

I like Samsung. If they made a top end phone with a removable battery I'd probably buy it.
  • Ugly UI, too many stupid features and too expensive.
  • My gripes are based on my 2 years with an s3. So take them with a grain of salt given we're up to s7.

My smartphone history: htc desire, s3, z3, htc 10.

Loved the desire. Lasted most of 2 year contract, and was fine as home streaming/Bluetooth music player for another 18 months.

S3: bloatware out the wazoo. Took me a month to set it up and find third party apps to do what I want. From keyboard on down. Battery life was average at first and got worse. Only third party options helped. And for the last 8-12 months of a 2 year contract it just ran like fucking turd.

Z3: battery life is a+. Far less bloatware. Ran nearly everything how I wanted it straight up.

(in fairness, part of this will be my experience with andriod and knowing what I could just export and save etc.)

Z3, apart from touch screen not working any time I got any cracks (screen protector solved this) is still running like a boss.

It just works. Always.

HTC 10: so far, so good. Great transfer process, and everything is working like z3. Seems faster, better camera and better sound. Battery TBA.

S3 experience so bad I have vowed never Samsung on phones.

(I have gone Samsung TV twice. And they've been fine for the price.)
  • S4 is an amazing phone.

I still don't understand why you would use 3rd party apps. Like what other functionality do you want from a text message app or a phone dialer?
  • All reviews of the s7 I've seen so far have been pretty positive, not many complaints regarding bloatware. My Z3c has had a fair bit of slowdown and weird issues, culminating in the camera and OS button failures (I did a full firmware reset/repair (twice) which fixed the bottom row buttons for all of five minutes before they stopped working again, I think it's related to the camera being broken). And the bloatware stuff is rather annoying too.

I think these sort of issues are very much 'YMMV' in nature..

Only concern I can see atm about the S7 is the apparently quiet headphone output level, as long as it's not worse than the Z3c I don't care though.
  • wrote:
    S4 is an amazing phone. I still don't understand why you would use 3rd party apps. Like what other functionality do you want from a text message app or a phone dialer?

I'll grant you sms, although see above re ulgy UI. (I'll also say that for third party sms, it's more stuff like Pushbullet and Mightytext I'm talking about, so being able to sms via chrome browser on PC/laptop. Which is godsend for my work, as I confirm shifts and such via sms, so pop ups and quick replies are totally FTW.)

Dialers can be a mixed bag. Trying out Drupe at the moment, and I really like it. lots of very cool features.

Keyboards are usually my main gripe. And web browsers. I recall not being a fan of the s3 contacts list either, actually.

• I think these sort of issues are very much 'YMMV' in nature..

I don't know what that means, but still feel like it's accurate somehow.

• Facewon wrote:
    Dialers can be a mixed bag. Trying out Drupe at the moment, and I really like it. lots of very cool features.

I might be being thick here, but what features?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    As well as numbers, it's got extra buttons

a. Weird noughts and crosses grid, '#', I guess it's to play noughts and crosses when you're bored on hold to a big firm

b. Some star thing ,'*', I guess it's to call famous people, I imagine most use it to phone Gary Lineker and tell him he shit himself 20 years back
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Facewon wrote:

I think these sort of issues are very much 'YMMV' in nature..

I don't know what that means, but still feel like it's accurate somehow.

Haha, yeah I was a bit overtired when I posted that, it doesn't make sense but I think you can get what I mean. Your Z3 experience was stellar whereas mine was less-than. I have really enjoyed the Sony over the last two years but sadly it has let me down.

I think I'm pretty set on the S7 atm, seems to do everything pretty well and isn't humongous. Wish there were more water resistant options though.
  • The missus has the compact z5. Stats seem noticeably different to the big boys. No issues.... Yet.
  • But yes, very good point.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sony haven't really specced up since the Z5, I has the Z5C for a bit, but lost it and am back on the Z3C, I doubt I'll buy a new phone until something blows me away, and if I want that from Sony it probably won't be until next year. Here's hoping someone saw the sales of the Xperia Compacts and decides to do a small screen beast with flagship specs, as long as it has an unlocked bootloader then I don't think there's much difference between the big players at the minute
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Hmmmmmmm. Not sold on this htc battery life. Doesn't have a stamina mode, or at least one that works at any battery %. Juice defender used to be my go to third party app, doesn't look like it's been updated since 2013 though.

Suggestions?
  • Might be too hardcore for your purposes but, if it's there: settings, battery, top right menu dots, battery saver.
  • Not too hardcore, just says everything is already optimised. Trying the boost thing. Htc thing apparently designed for games. Let's you add pretty much anything though, so we'll see.
  • Ah, balls. Just tried the switch I was talking about on mine and it didn't do anything. What does this stamina mode on Sonys do, exactly?
  • I assume it just does what other power saver options do, but it doesn't force a battery percentage before it kicks in. So you have a fully charged phone, and stamina is already on, it just shuts shit down when idle. Cocko, please confirm.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I reckon that's a Google thing. Apparently, it's Android itself that broke Stamina on the latest Xperias - the Sony stamina mode could no longer work alongside Android's built in battery optimization. Frankly, it can't hold a candle to it. Probably the same for HTC.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah, vanilla Marshmallow included a feature very similar to Sony's stamina mode, and that does seem to have screwed with Stamina. I think it now only kicks in at 30% and 15%, whereas before if I knew I was away from a charger I'd turn it on whenever. All it really does is stop background functions from your apps, so unless it's on the screen it's not doing anything, which means that it runs a bit slower when you switch between tasks, but that's a fair tradeoff imo

Just a shame that with Marshmallow, Google have tightened up a fair few things including preventing Stamina Mode from stopping apps running
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    With old stamina mode I had it permanently on, but now I have to toggle it during the day, as it's shit. It really doesn't seem to make much difference to battery life anyway. I really hope they listen to all the complaints and do something about it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not really sure that it's in Sony's hands. Google also pinned down a minimum graphics capability fro Marshmallow, which is why the z1 cannot be upgraded to Marshmallow, despite being more than capable of running it, just won't run some of the games that are available for it
  • Ah, my phone was just being buggy last night; you can turn the Google one on whenever you want. I thought it was odd having a switch there that just turned back off soon as you changed it.

It does more than just the background apps, though; things like turning off some animations and lowering refresh rates of others. Annoyingly, it also makes the status bar and system soft keys (if you have them) orange.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!