Work - The pros and the cons...
  • First, was your letter dated and clearly state when you expected your last day would be? And do you have evidence they received it?

Secondly, have you checked with hr that they have received it?
  • Don't you decide when you leave?
  • Careful, you can get sued for loss of earnings if you don't fulfill notice.
  • They sound like they are taking the piss. Not long till you never have to see them again.
  • Application away for management role in the Argyle St, Glasgow store. Positive vibes only, folks. Let's do this shit!
  • Good luck mate!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Crush them and hear the lamentation of their women.
  • Application away for management role in the Argyle St, Glasgow store. Positive vibes only, folks. Let's do this shit!

Was walking dougie as I read this, when I looked up from my phone, I saw two magpies just sitting there. That's a good sign, should be easy for you. If you want me to go through management speak before your interview, gimme a shout.

Update on my job hunting: had the phone interview for the cable guy job with virgin. Think it went well, waiting to hear if I get through to the final stage.

Although.

It's not working directly for virgin, it's a subcontract with mcnicholas utilities. My brother in law and his son are working for them just now, laying fibre optic cables. It might not have the long term stability I'm needing.

But, got a call today, inviting me to an interview for a cash in transit operative. Basically, driving around, replenishing ATM's. Got experience of that, it was a daily duty when I ran bingo halls. 4 on 4 off shift pattern with overtime available, and they'll put me through the sia badge course. Obviously danger of being robbed, but that was a constant threat in the bookies as well, so I'm not hugely put off by it.

Both jobs are a drop in money from what I'm on now, but both offer something different, with regular shift patterns, which is a motivating factor, given impending fatherhood.

Updates to follow, although the luck I'm having recently I won't get close to either.
  • I work for a large IT cloud company in London, I like my job generally, I'm a regular employee. It's just that I'm wondering if I should pack it in and switch to IT contracting. Some of the contractors we hire (for their skills and expertise) charge in excess of £400 a day and their level of IT ability isn't any greater then mine. Their individual companies bill for the year around 100-120k gross. Yes it's ALOT more money but they don't get sick pay, holiday pay or pension. Plus they can be axed at a moments notice and as a contractor you need to have savings for the times you are out of work. Also they can only take a maximum of 40k out of their company a year to pay themselves before hitting the higher tax rate. Missus says I should give it a go. It's a risk and I do like my job. I'm wondering if it's a case of grass is greener on the other side?...
  • Just to add, I'm thinking that the market place is getting saturated with IT people who have Windows, Linux and now AWS (amazon) skillset. Google are making inroads into cloud services and will catch AWS and Microsoft Azure eventually. There aren't that many certified Google cloud IT engineers, it could be a good niche in the IT contractor in space to go into. OR I could train up as a AWS IT engineer with aspirations to become a AWS IT architect. Or just still to my comfortable day job? I dunno what to do....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It can be a lot of fun, I've been in both camps, and as much as I'm enjoying being an employee again, I do get the odd hankering to get back to contracting. Questions to think about?

How long have you been with your firm?
    What other benefits do you get, stock options, work from home, increasing holiday allowances?
    What specific skills can you sell yourself with?
    Are you prepared to travel for work?
    Will you be happy working 9 months a year?

A mate convinced me by reminding me that I rarely stay with an employer longer than 18-24 months anyway. Ding worry about the £40k thing, because you can buy yourself almost anything through the company, especially being a software developer, if it's got a chip in it, you bought it for the company to see if you could write an app for it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Glad you added that but e, because that's where the catch is, you need something to sell, simply being bloody good at it, no matter how good, really doesn't look good to agencies. If the national agencies I found Reed to be really good for me, it felt like they were looking for employers for me, not pressuring me to take jobs I didn't want
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also best of luck Gav, I reckon you'll be grand
  • Personally, I love working freelance/contracting.
    However I wouldn't like to big it up too much as it won't be for everyone and making the move is a huge deal.
    So instead here are a few things to consider some obvious some not and by no means an exhaustive list.

Money. You will likely get lump sums way over what you normally would earn in a month, followed by droughts of earning nothing. You need to know you will be disciplined enough to even out that money over the year.

People treat contractors differently every where. They may be treated well at your current place, other places give them the cold shoulder. In my time doing this I have made friends for life, been invited to xmas and summer parties, increased the amount of people I know in the industry ten fold.
    The bad. I have been ignored, sat there all day while waiting to be provided equipment, wifi passwords, briefings etc, then still expected to deliver. I have experienced bitter staff members who obviously know my day rate is way higher than theirs (never ever tell anyone your dayrate btw). I have been patronised by people clearly worse than myself at the job.

You will be going to places where you don't know anyone and no one knows you. You will have to ask people where the toilet is, if this makes you uncomfortable you may find life hard. Beyond that you really should attempt to talk to people and make yourself a presence, people rehire the guy they remember. At the same time there will be in jokes and social things that you won't be a part of, that can leave you feeling quite lonely. It is a tricky balance tbh, one aided by going to drinks/lunches when invited and joining in on tea rounds.

You may end up working totally alone, be it at home, in an empty office or in the corner on the shitty desk. I think you have to be happy in your own company.

Never ever dip into what you owe the tax man. Work with an accountant who can tell you what to put aside exactly. Never assume more work will come in before you have to pay the taxman. Taxman is king.

Ignore anyone who encourages you to claim back expenses you can't straight face, honestly say are relevant to your work and keep all receipts for what you do claim. Everyone I know who has been investigated has had a shit time of it every year since.
    e.g I am a 3D artist, some would say I could claim games as research but none of my clients are game developers. Whereas I will claim textbooks, courses, plugins etc.

Sector dependant you may have to use your own hardware and software. Even in what I do there is a definite divide on that. Architects always seem to have setups, branding agencies barely have plug sockets.

You jettison all that bullshit that goes along with work.
    Office politics become fun, like watching a soap opera.
    If a company folds another company picks up the customers/clients/contracts and most of the time they still need a freelancer.
    When bonus and pay rises were due announcing I always used to get stressed out, knowing it was always disappointing but prepping for how much so. None of that shit when you work for yourself.

Pensions. You can get just as good or better a pension privately than a company pension depending on how good your pension is there.
    You can also control a private pension, put in some time and make it work.
    Many companies offer the absolute minimum and play it so safe it is worthless.

Lastly I would always ask people how secure they felt in their job anyway. I have had two permanent career jobs. The first I was made redundant from despite my output being profitable (along with most of the department), the second I was being forced out.
  • Good luck to Gav, Dino, hb and all others looking to change things up. It sounds like there's too many work places run by ding dongs in UK. Not that we don't have issues here but I don't think I've heard such consistent and extreme shiteness from friends here. So my tip is, move to Australia.

Also, T, what's a first?
  • 1st is the top grade for Bachelor degrees.
    Followed by 2-1, 2-2 and 3rd class degrees.

Most consider a 3rd to not be enough and CVs go in the bin. Most who get a 3rd are encouraged to resit modules.
    A 2-1 or 2-2 can get you past the initial stage depending on the role, I have a 2-1, my best mate has a 2-2 but our careers mirror each other across different industries.

Heavily oversubscribed industries sometimes only look at graduates with a 1st class degree. Personally I think this is short sighted but I understand Tempy's worries. An amount of work experience and portfolio can make up the gap between 1st and 2-1 though.
  • Ah okay. Sounds like a shit system. Obviously doing well in assignments and exams is a good sign for employers re work ethic etc but considering how subjective a lot of writing stuff can be (and marking in general) it seems a bit harsh to judge based on those marks and not a portfolio.
    Surely the degree is the starting point and the career is where the skills get cemented.
  • You can do fine off a 2-1, I can get a master's entry off a 2-1, I just think after hitting uni at 25/6 I should have got a first. Things are not that simple in a subjective subject though.
  • Yeah, it is crappy but it is an easy (and probably fairest) way of trimming down a stack of CVS.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A 2-1 is a drinkers first. It demonstrates social skills.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You can do fine off a 2-1, I can get a master's entry off a 2-1, I just think after hitting uni at 25/6 I should have got a first. Things are not that simple in a subjective subject though.
    I wouldn't stress too much. It feels like the world now because you are so intensely in it but it won't matter much in the long run.
    In terms of Master's, I would start asking around whether employers prefer a Master's or a year of experience in the field you want to enter.

For myself a Master's would have been pissing money up the wall.

edit: Also what Goober said. Not sure if that attitude still stands but I remember that being a thing when I graduated. Also "Curse of the First" where people with firsts struggled more than those with a 2-1.
  • I have half an eye on academia and a masters is a good way to get research experience and prove ability, without having to take a potluck shot at a PhD or a research assistant position.
  • A 2-1 is a drinkers first. It demonstrates social skills.

You can drink and get a first so this is lies.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have half an eye on academia and a masters is a good way to get research experience and prove ability, without having to take a potluck shot at a PhD or a research assistant position.
    Yeah, fair play then.
  • Sounds like it isn't the end of the world then.
  • It's just investment, vs a declining work ethic that's primarily a personal criticism rather than a suggestion it's all been a waste. I am on the border, and have mismanaged my time somewhat so have loaded play thanks to my dissertation. I dunno precisely why I fell into bad habits again (probably because I am just human) but I did, and it'll just be a bit of a personal let down when I see my GPA a handful of points from the requirement for a first, but that's just part and parcel of life I guess!
  • Not to belittle you or ignore the importance for yourself but what you are going through seems fairly typical for third year students to me, especially with the extra pressure of being a more mature student.
    I think the main thing to remember is that you are you, not the grade or the degree.
  • Eh, I'm the same T. I always have the best intentions of not falling into bad habits when taking on new things but it only lasts so long. The fact that you are aware of these traits is a start at least. Plus you've got obvious talent, I just hope there's some places that will see you for the asset you are. Or just do what Skerret did and give up and become a lecturer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!