Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    The hospital I work at got burgled wednesday night. They knew the door code into the cardiology dept then took the hardrives and cpu's from all the computers.
    Jesus wept.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Why doh
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Could be opportunism to sell clinical data. Though there's very little that's stored locally which they might not realise. I remember something similar happened to my school once.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Patient medical history is pretty big as a black market commodity for insurance companies and who knows else. Someone in the hosp has to deal with fake phonecalls posing as someone's relative every so often enough for us to have a response policy.

Or could be they wanted to know what our PC's run. We got a notice a few months back that a London hospital had basically been ransomewared and we were being reminded to not be dipshits and click links from the Nigerian Royal Fam.
  • Bloody hell. That’s a whole world of data crime I’d never thought about.
  • Data is what I thought from Bollo's first post.
    The value of HDDs and CPUs in standard NHS computers must be minimal, especially given the effort required to remove them.
  • Application away for management role in the Argyle St, Glasgow store. Positive vibes only, folks. Let's do this shit!

And there ye go, just like clockwork, as always with hmGav, just when you think it's all plain sailing..

So on Thursday there, the RM visited. He calls the shots on management appointments. Just a normal visit/walk round.

After the usual chat I ask what's happening with Argyle St. He tells me that, even though it's been advertised, the job appointment is on hold as the branch currently can't afford another supervisor, due to their April employment budget being affected by the living wage increase leaving them with £247 which is obviously way way below what a supervisor should get in any given month. This is despite them NEEDING another supervisor. Fuck, the guy that made the space is my new Ass.manager, even he's baffled by it. So I was told "wait til we see what May is like" and that's it.

The attitude I get from my RM about this wage increase is that it's a burden to him and to the company. That instead of using profits to account for it, head office want branches to trim off what they can to afford it. We've already had to say bye to two part-timers. It just baffles me. And given what's happened to me in the past, I smell something extremely fishy.

I think that the RM doesn't want me for it, in his mind. That he wants someone already on an established supervisor wage to apply so they can get it and be happy when their chunk, and a more experienced sales assistant from Argyle St (all their SA's have been there for eons) can go take their old spot wherever they've came from but staying as a SA, thus making it "affordable" to Argyle St and saving the other branch (and more importantly, his region) money. Its a bloody chess set.

Could be wrong. But I've been shafted three times before. I know one when I feel one (oo-er).

Add in to that, my lady got let go from her job (stylist for international "goth/alternative" fashion brand) today after being thrown in in a position she had zero experience in, got no training given, and got slaughtered for any mistake she did despite giving it her all and nigh on making herself ill with the stress.

Fucking rat race, man. I want out. No luck these days!
  • That sucks, Gav, sorry. Doubly so for your missus.
  • Retail is a cunt. Get out.
  • Jesus, Gav. If your suspicions are correct they’re a shower of bastards.

Or your Regional Manager is bastard, at least. Doesn’t necessarily mean all his superiors are too.

Shit news about your Mrs, sorry to hear that. By all accounts fashion, especially retail-able fashion, is a cut throat industry.
  • Yeah, problem is she's really too nice to people. She admitted herself she's just not ruthless enough herself to have organized shoots and get it done efficiently. The lack of training or guidance made her second guess herself way too often, which took away focus. No prisoners.
  • From what I see, there are a thousand people with little (or no) talent but absolute 100% confidence for every one modest, honest, talented person. And that sucks. The overconfident egotistical no-marks drown out those with genuine skill and potential.
  • Pure hunners of pish, Gav.
  • Aye. Stinks of bullshit mate.
  • Hard lines gav and ms gav.

Sending you good vibes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gav, you need to get outta that. You've got far too much to give elsewhere and you've known that retail is a fucker for a while.

Go do your love elsewhere.

Me, I'm waiting till robots teach.
  • Speaking of overconfident egotistical no-marks …

A headhunter/recruitment person contacted me today. Another design studio (again in Edinburgh, what is it with Edinburgh right now?) want to know if I’d consider leaving to work for them. Since they work mainly in booze branding I told her I’d talk to them if they can offer me £50k a year and sent over my CV.

Which is hilarious. Reminded me of Cindy Gallop’s advice to ‘ask for the highest number you can say out loud without giggling’.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    £68k for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    £68k for me.

Hahaha, that's what I asked for to go and work in Walsall

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Finally had confirmation that I have the job I was talking about back in November/December. Will hopefully start in May.
  • Excellent news. Did they also tell you why it took so long?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Congrats Goob.
  • Congrats dude!

Had a phone interview this morning, been in my job 5 years and although I mostly enjoy it, feel a change might be needed.

Phone interviews are the fucking worst though, no idea how I did, and even if I want the job or just to use it as a bargaining chip for a wage increase. Feels spoilt complaining but I'm not earning mega bucks and have a 2nd baby due in 20 days. Would be nice if my wife could do part time.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Congrats, Goobs. :]
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Nice one Goobs!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thanks everyone, I'm a little bit chuffed.
    poprock wrote:
    Excellent news. Did they also tell you why it took so long?

Bureaucracy I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!