Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Thanks everyone. Kinda scary but should be good.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Top tip - stay north of the river

Shut that fucking noise
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's meant to annoy yoss up not you. And it never winds him up.

Double fail.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hiya Muzz!

*waves*
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just saw your stuff in the moving thread. Well played WorKid, hope you enjoy it.
  • monkey wrote:
    Nice one kid.

Don't get cocky.
  • So I just got let go.

Was in my probation review after the period was extended at the last meeting by a month, which I was told was normal. At the time we agreed that I need to work on my timekeeping (has been perfect), my operational skills (bar the odd bit of paperwork issues once or twice maybe in the last month) and my people skills, and they deemed there had been little to no improvement. So they let me go.

The final point I get and fully take on my chin, but that's something I can't really help. In there, there's a big big culture of digging people up when something goes wrong, even for the slightest thing. I'd noticed that my mgmt colleagues were really cold with staff at times, so I thought I'd compliment it well by being just a bit nicer. Anyone who's met me or played with me will know it's not in my nature to be nasty (apart from a FNF first corner) but in there it felt like certain people reveled in it. Now I know that there's gonna be big mistakes made by staff, especially when it concerns >£500 stock, but to make me feel like I'm not managerial just because I don't waste time recording meetings for people for the tiniest of things is just... Well, what can I say? Maybe I'm too nice?

But my main issue is the lack of training and support. Most of the time any time I was actually taken to the side and shown something for the benefit of myself it was because I had made a mistake, or just simply didn't know when asked. There wasn't a set structure to what I was supposed to know or do. Trial by fire, it certainly was.

But at the end of the day, it's business. I can't hold grudges. They clearly have a direction they want to go in, and deemed I didn't fit in the picture. Whilst I may have shortcomings and understand what they are (I hope), I know I'm not a bad person and I'm confident I wasn't disliked by anyone. But who knows.

If I'm honest though, the insecurity in knowing my deep-rooted personality traits didn't fit in the weeks leading to this point was making me miserable. The feeling of not feeling dread when waking up in the morning was eroding, and the nature of the job itself made me want to lock myself away and defrag my brain after every shift. Which was affecting my relationships with others socially. So maybe it's a blessing. Still raw right now cos nobody loves the hairy sack but it is what it is, and my head is (trying to remain) high.

Onwards.
  • Fuck. Don't take it personally (hard I know) and try and imagine where you will be in three years. This will hopefully bring you opportunities.
  • Fuck Gav.

Would you like me to see if there is anything going at Game?
  • Arse. That is a shame. Good luck with your next thing gav.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Still raw right now cos nobody loves the hairy sack.

We do.

Hugs Gav.
  • Man, that's shit.

But at some point you will look back and be glad to be out of it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry to hear that Gav, it's terrible being a dead man walking at work. Onto the next one, I'm just a bit gutted that they took you away from HMV, but you didn't burn any bridges there so I guess it might be an option. I imagine most places are starting to pick up Christmas temps around now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That sucks. Sorry Gav.
  • Sounds like you're better off out of there gav, onwards and upwards mate.
  • Aye, that sucks, but it doesn't sound like it was right for you anyway. You're one of the good guys, so fuck compromising who you are just for the sake of a job.
    Don't doubt that pretty soon you'll look back on this as being an absolute blessing, and I hope you find something new real soon mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sad to hear that, Gav. I don't think I'll ever understand retail. If your store was doing well (I thought it was), who the fuck cares what your personality is like? If that's the culture, you're better off out of it.
  • I think you should be proud that you weren't a big enough arsehole for the job.
  • Shit new Gav, but like others have said if you have to change your personality it isn't worth it in the long run.
    Your management style is fine, just not a fit for CEX.

Xmas is coming up, it could be worth getting into some sales assistant interviews with decent retailers and picking brains about management training etc.
    John Lewis and Apple would be much better fits for your management style. It would be a step back to go forward but could be worth considering.
  • Thanks all. Given what today of all days is, it's so great to have here as support and a way to get things out. If I didn't have it, God fucking knows how I'd be feeling right now.

Cheers.
  • Seems barmy for any retailer to let staff go in the run up to Christmas, especially for something subjective like that.

Chin up Gav, we’ve got your back if you need anything.
  • Sorry to hear that Gav - I saw your tweets but thought it best to respond here - Onwards and upwards I say - you seem like a smart and decent chap so I have no doubt you’ll be sorted soon.
  • Shit on them gav. Any place that turns you away doesn't deserve you. You're a diamond mate, I hope some better opportunities come your way soon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think you should be proud that you weren't a big enough arsehole for the job.

Yup. I'd look at it more as a pre-emptive resignation as even if they were falling over themselves to keep you you'd not have lasted long there if it was making you that unhappy. Hope you get something sorted pronto.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shite news Gav, I've no doubt you were smashing fuck outta it and they'll realise what they've lost after. Move down this way and I'll get you on my team at Dunelm, bare dream team and you can make the gals moist while I mop up the aftermath.
  • Sorry to hear that gav, sounds like a shite company and they don't deserve you mate. Hopefully you'll get something soon.
  • Sorry gav.
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yeah definitely sounds like the sort of person they want is a much worse person than you.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Your management style is fine, just not a fit for CEX.

Insufficiently Pranky.

John Lewis and Apple

Yeah, I don't know if they're much better, but you'd hope that financially rosy employers saw nice workers as a bonus and didn't subject them to targets. I can see you in a B&Q, Gav.
  • monkey wrote:
    Sorry gav.
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yeah definitely sounds like the sort of person they want is a much worse person than you.

Fucking too right. Fuck them if what they want is an organisation run by arsewipes and lickspittles - there’s no such thing as being ‘too nice’ in any job as long as you can get the job done. As a manager of staff myself, I find you’ll always get the best out of people if you treat them as you would expect to be treated.

You really don’t want any part of an organisation whose culture is defined by how shitty the management treats its ‘subordinates’. You’ll get more work no problem - you’re a clever, honest and decent person who’s obviously good at your job.

Chin up dude.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Engaged employees perform the best. Pro-tip: employees don't become engaged by treating them like shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!