Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Got punched in the face by a student today. I’m itching for a days exclusion, senior management for a permanent. Anyone got any advice?

Sorry chaps, did add more but in between leaving work,drinking and rolling home pissed I obvs managed to delete it.

Context:-

At the end of lunch 2 colleagues and I were walking towards the central hub of the school because there had been a minor incident with a Year 8 and we were hoping to resolve it. As we entered the mall (main hub) there was a fairly large group (40-50 students) congregating, predominantly Yr11 and 12. There was an argument between a Yr 12 and one of the Year 11s. There was obviously an argument going on, one of them called the other 'a fucking pussy'. We tried to dispel the groups at that time.

It was obviously then getting quite volatile, we were trying to calm them down. One year 11 then came towards the Year 12's who I was then stood just in front of and started mouthing off towards them. Although I didn't see it, he aimed a kick at a Yr 12, which apparently hit him in the genitals. The Yr 12 then launched a haymaker at the kicker but instead of connecting with him, hit me in the side of the head.

I then turned around and glared at the yr 12. The school rumour mill then went into overdrive and the Year 11s were saying that I took the punch without flinching, then went to retaliate and had to be told to leave the premises. Which was utter bollocks.

Anyway, was more shocking than anything else and I was laughing about it straight after. The lad who hit me was pretty aghast about it and was apologising profusely. Now turns out he’s got a day’s exclusion rather than permanent, which I was happy with.

Never a dull moment.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Jesus Stoph, way to leave out the context.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Hi guys, missus and I had a wee argument.  Should we have a chat or divorce?
  • An argument about work?

Chat. Definitely chat. Get some rest and clear the mind first though. Easier said than done.

I'm currently buzzing at work cos I've got Monday off simply because it's a bank holiday. That has never ever ever happened to me in my working life. And I'm getting paid for it! Gotta love not being in retail anymore.
  • 1 day exclusion seems right. That a permanent exclusion was even discussed is ridiculous, if you ask me. Unless he's had multiple exclusions for violence before.

Shame on those of you calling for a permanent exclusion. You're all monsters. Monsters who clearly have no regard for the youth.

Stoph becomes a school legend now though. Winner!
  • Skerret wrote:
    Jesus Stoph, way to leave out the context.

I did nearly die, saving the life of a sweet, innocent, 6’3”, 16 year old who was uttering the poetic words ‘you’re just a sweaty prick’ to another student.

Hoping for sure me sort of medal. Or a chest to pin it on,
  • "Sir took the punch and didn't even flinch, just tasted his own blood and smiled"
  • WorKid wrote:
    Never put personal stuff on a CV. At best they won't care. At worst you'll look like a dick.

Matt should definitely be making the most out of his photography work on his cv. That can be by a listing of skills, brief summary about projects etc.

Without any of that the cv is going to read as a list of retail jobs and it'll be binned.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got a pretty clear mental image of the incident now
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    People here have far more experience and knowledge than me, but permanent exclusion surely just means passing the problem off to someone else. Kids who are permanently excluded just end up in shittier schools with shittier life chances and will likely end up being a burden on society.

That doesn’t mean that I have any good suggestions for what should be done, but I don’t see much good coming from exclusion, at least not for the kid.

You're missing a heck of a lot of info there mate. Permanent exclusion from state school actually opens up a lot of channels of support, at least in Scotland, of special schools, camhs, barnardos, all sorts. It's not a death knell.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1 day exclusion seems right. That a permanent exclusion was even discussed is ridiculous, if you ask me. Unless he's had multiple exclusions for violence before.

Shame on those of you calling for a permanent exclusion. You're all monsters. Monsters who clearly have no regard for the youth.

Stoph becomes a school legend now though. Winner!

See above post. Actually angry about this tiger.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All that being said, stoph did miss a hell of a lot of context there and I've also been on the receiving end of a hit aimed at someone else, of course I was not for permanent exclusion.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    People here have far more experience and knowledge than me, but permanent exclusion surely just means passing the problem off to someone else. Kids who are permanently excluded just end up in shittier schools with shittier life chances and will likely end up being a burden on society.

That doesn’t mean that I have any good suggestions for what should be done, but I don’t see much good coming from exclusion, at least not for the kid.

You're missing a heck of a lot of info there mate. Permanent exclusion from state school actually opens up a lot of channels of support, at least in Scotland, of special schools, camhs, barnardos, all sorts. It's not a death knell.

Fair play, I hope it’s the same here in England.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But also see post above yours. It's hard when you get a "kid punched me" message and you want to support the teacher, but this was not aimed at him and I would never ever ever look to permanently exclude a kid who accidentally did that to me. And I'm the guy who does exclusions at our school.
  • Angry about what? I'd have thought the 2nd paragraph was clearly a joke. Hyperbolic.

If you're angry about the first, then I simply don't know what to say. Child accidentally punches a teacher and SLT discuss permanent exclusion from school... That's farcical.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tiger. Read the thread and the timeline. First thing I saw was "kid punched a teacher" and then it was only way later we got the context. Don't call it farcical if the only info you have seems like it was direct.
  • I'm talking about SLT who had the context...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Y'all don't realise it but I'm getting ready to fucking go here grinding axes considering I've started and implemented an alternatives to exclusion procedure at our school to ensure that young people get the best opportunities. If you think I'm for permanent exclusion I've got a truckload of papers I've written to send you.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Tiger. Read the thread and the timeline. First thing I saw was "kid punched a teacher" and then it was only way later we got the context. Don't call it farcical if the only info you have seems like it was direct.

I think Tiger is referring to his post-context post as deliberately farcical. I read it as very nudge-nudge wink-wink.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm talking about SLT who had the context...

Then yes. Fuck that old fart. Love you.
    regmcfly wrote:

I think Tiger is referring to his post-context post as deliberately farcical. I read it as very nudge-nudge wink-wink.

I get very into this stuff as it is my literal remit.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Y'all don't realise it but I'm getting ready to fucking go here grinding axes considering I've started and implemented an alternatives to exclusion procedure at our school to ensure that young people get the best opportunities. If you think I'm for permanent exclusion I've got a truckload of papers I've written to send you.

Yeah - Tiger wasn’t saying that. I think maybe you misread some stuff in anger, dude. It’s all good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Yeah - Tiger wasn’t saying that. I think maybe you misread some stuff in anger, dude. It’s all good.

I did. Love to everyone. It's good Friday and nearly noon. Time for a beer.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    (and sorry btw. Not enough people say sorry when they slip up, but I do like a good sorry.)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just as one more axe that I'll grind. I hate when people say SORRY if I offended.

THATS NOT A SORRY
  • No need to apologise, chap. But accepted/thanks anyway. :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Xoxoxxox to two of my favourite Bois
  • GROUP HUG! *accidentally clouts Stoph with flailing arm when going in for hug, faces disciplinary proceedings*
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s Easter, crucifixion surely?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!