Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Awesome! Chippy tea to celebrate?
  • I wish. Promised to make a biryani to use up our piles of spare veg. Booked myself Friday off for a celebratory lie-in though, which is even better than a chippy tea.
  • Nice one Kaz. Good news is still good news, even if legally-driven.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well done kaz. You a goodun.

On Monday, for the first time, I was part of a panel who decided a final position for a teacher job. It was a significant one as well. Previously I've only been on the pupil panel for promoted jobs.

My best advice -

It's all about how you come across on the day and depth and detail are important. Don't talk about a million things you've done, talk about 2-3 things you've done at depth a d in detail.
  • So I've been freelancing at a place as a designer/artworker for 6 years now. 
    About 1.5 years ago they advertised for a part time job that was part of what I was doing there. 
    I didn't get told until the ad was in the paper so I was like fuck, you bastards, but I wasnt too put out because, to be frank, it was part of the job I detested so I wasn't going to apply for it anyway, but it would've been nice to have been approached, you know?
    Things carry on and I'm doing slightly fewer hours... 

Today I walk in and get called into an office to be told they are setting up a role for a full-time print designer/artworker. The role will entail some of the stuff I'm currently doing week in week out. 
    At least I was told just before they advertise this time but I'm livid that no one has come up to me and said 'Hey panty this is the position we want to set up, are you interested?'.
    Instead it's 'We are advertising, you can apply if you want.' the difference is subtle but it feels like, you can apply but you won't get it. Rather than we'd like to have you here more. 
    Add this to scores of little snubs over the years and I'm Ready to just disappear. Being freelance works both ways. 

I fucking hate design to be honest, I've been at it for years and is just the same old shit again and again.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • That's pretty shite of them mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Exactly. 

I got dropped from the last Xmas party after being invited because, get this, a girl who's been there 3 weeks (and been off sick for nearly two of those weeks) was invited instead and space was tight. 
    6 fucking years I've been there! 6.
  • Aye, well shite.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bad vibes. Get out if you can. Freelance elsewhere, apply for full-time gigs, or straight up change career. Any way you slice it, you’re not being treated well there so this could be the push you need to make a change.
  • That is a fucker Panty. It's that awkward thing of being a long term freelancer I guess.

In regards to being bored with the industry, I can definitely understand that but I find moving on to a new client with different projects and challenges can really help. My lifespan at any one job is about 18 months, then the cycles start to repeat and there are only so many times you can create "The Bodyshop's xmas packaging theme" before you are creatively spent.
    I assume you are sorted financially given the 6 years, so maybe take a month away from it all, go away for a week, come back and do some design just for you then towards the end of the month start lining up some work, take some short contracts and see how things feel.

It can be easy to get caught up in the design industry machine which can really destroy any sense of actual creativity.
  • That's about 17 months longer than an office job at least
  • I told one of the girls in work today whats happening and she said she'd noticed the weird treatment towards me (one foot in, one foot out when it suits them) and she's only been here about a year.
  • So I got told off today for using deodorant at my desk, with a stern warning to 'read the comms'.

When I manage to log into my computer, I then find out that this is the comms for a completely different department, which I would never have read had I not gone looking for it because we haven't had any for 3 weeks.
  • Print it out
    Take it to bossmans room
    Use deodorant and lighter to create flamethrower
    Set it on fire
    Light cigar
    Walk out
  • So I got told off today for using deodorant at my desk, with a stern warning to 'read the comms'.

When I manage to log into my computer, I then find out that this is the comms for a completely different department, which I would never have read had I not gone looking for it because we haven't had any for 3 weeks.

Is there an official 'no deodorant' policy? Why would that be an issue?
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's aerosols rather than deodorant specifically. Asthma apparently.
  • You should use pitrock. Just wet your armpits with Evian and then apply some. No aerosols, and you can convert colleagues to that shit
  • My boss (headteacher) comes in this morning, glaring at me.

HT: "The book fair stuff was all delivered this morning and nobody knows about it. It's out in the hall. Does it start today?"

Tigro: "Oh, right. It's been delivered for next week. It's on the calendar..."

HT: "Well we've not put anything in the newsletter, we don't have posters up about it. Nobody knows it's on."

Tigro: "Ok, I've got all the leaflets here and they're going home today. Here are the posters - I'll take a picture of one for the newsletter and go put the posters out now."

HT: "We haven't got anybody to run it next week. Who is running it?"

Tigro: "We'll do a rota - I'll print one off and just ask the rest of the teachers to sign up in the staffroom."

HT: "I'm having nothing to do with it." And he walks off.

You're. The. Fucking. Headteacher. You can't just wash your hands of things in your school ffs. And you certainly shouldn't wash your hands of things that are so easily fucking solved. Utter twat.
  • Sel-preserving Cunt
  • It's aerosols rather than deodorant specifically. Asthma apparently.

Ok, suppose that's fair enough.

And tigers head teacher sounds an absolute waste of space.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Tiger, maul him to death.
  • I'm in a real wonky situation at the moment. He asked me to apply for the currently vacant deputy head position (I've basically been doing a lot of it already due to the current deputy being on maternity) but has been very distant about it since the job advert went live and there was a lot of interest in it. My feeling is either...

1) There's now more interest than he expected so he wants to give it to someone very experienced because he's fucking clueless and with multiple members of the senior leadership team jumping ship this year, he needs someone to do the bureaucratic bit because he's awful at it. Not that he knows anything about the teaching side either, but that's neither here nor there.

2) He's realised he can't be seen to be favouring me.

My bet is... #1.

I'm tentatively looking elsewhere for a promotion because I need the leap in pay, but I know the petty cunt would be awful about me going to look around in school hours. 

Ozno nailed it. All about looking out for himself. He talks the talk about wanting to develop people and to have an enriching, creative curriculum for the kids but it's complete bullshit. All he cares about are SATS results. We've not had OFSTED for 12 years(!) and he just absolves himself of the teaching and learning stuff, putting it onto other leading figures in the school so he can blame us if we get a bad inspection (results this year will 100% trigger an inspection next year).
  • Sounds a bit like our previous head who left us in special measures. Seeing some proper leadership now, can’t believe what we had to put up with.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    News breaking here in NI about the latest peado priest. This cunt was a violent, drunken teacher who slapped the boys about in the corridors while clearly drunk - laces undone, staggering about , shirt hanging out , stinking breath etc - in the morning.

Was sexually and physically abusing kids too. A real charmer. Died in 2002.

Was only fucking made headmaster and held that position until retirement. This was the the 70s/80s but Holy Fuck......

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/paedophile-priest-finnegan-beat-and-tried-to-groom-me-says-sinn-feins-murphy-as-he-calls-for-answers-for-clerics-victims-36734438.html
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Fired.

I kept my cool during the meeting, which was extremely sly in the way it was booked, to talk about something else, and left with my integrity and a couple of quid in my back pocket that should mean I can pay my mortgage for a couple of months, but fuckkkk.

I was there 11 months and they are going the Short Term Dismissal route, which I had not heard of. Seems like it applies to employees under two years and they can make me leave immidiately (which they did, I’m drinking booze on the empty commuter train home).

Do the Stophs and Mostlies know if I should be looking to lawyer up here, if I feel it was unfair? Can’t acutally claim unfair dismissal it seems.
  • Fuck, sorry man.

I can't help with advice other than suggesting ringing citizen's advice or perhaps having a look at gov website.
  • Fired for what?
  • @liv My schedule is pretty free if you fancy a beer soon mate x

@unlikely fired for not being as close to their unrealistic sales targets as they wanted, specifically I’ve made them £180k in new business since April last year, and it needed to be £300k by the end of my first year. Ok, that wasn’t looking likely to hit, but the £300k number was pulled out of thin air by them, a tiny agency that had never hired a sales rep before. And here’s the thing that is so frustrating about it - once they realised they had no idea what they were doing in terms of a sales or marketing plan, they started using an external ‘sales management training’ agency to give them advice. That agency offers an outsourced cold calling service, along with their management training. They advised my employer about KPIs on the amount of cold accounts me, their only sales rep, to target, the amount of cold calls to make per day (a disgusting amount). All the time knowing that if I didn’t exceed my employer’s expectations on these, they could say ‘well, ykno, we do offer a very cheap cold calling service you could use....’. They had the perfect way of saying I should be made redundant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!