Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Anyone on here ever switched to a contracting gig? Im having a rough look at some figures and want to know if im way off.

Example, a contracting gig paying £450 a day x 220 working days. Gross is £99,000. Factor in 40% for your company's taxes, VAT and bills and so on and that leaves you roughly £60,000.
    Now you can pay yourself a dividend from the company of up to £43,000 which is normally taxed at 20%. Is that 20% tax factored into the 40% off the gross £99,000?

Or have i got this back to front and sideways?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    30% tax, reclaim VAT
  • Sounds good, until you realise you have no leave (because you don't get paid on those days) and you don't have a pension, unless you fund one yourself.

I've got friends that make it work, but the idea of leaving steady pay, job security and benefits freaks me out. Even if I sometimes wish I worked for myself.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My understanding is pretty much what Syph says from talking to others who’ve contracted or are moving into it. The money can be silly, but it’s not risk or drawback free.
  • And you have no life cover. And no security. And people normally treat you like shit.

Our place had a lot of contractors. I know a couple really well. One has been in work constantly for about three years and she's done really well. Another has been out of work for a year and basically can't get a permy job because he's got no valuable experience, he's done bitty stuff here and there.

Swings and roundabouts. Not for me, but can be lucrative, if you are close to fully employed and don't have to get temp accommodation or travel miles. Them expenses are a bitch.
  • Break down of how most one man bands pay themselves, assuming Limited company.

Firstly you charge the client VAT if you decide to be VAT registered. You then pay that back quarterly (iirc) to the tax man. Depending on your VAT status (what field you are in) you may pay back less than 20% but never more.

Right, salary and dividends.

Salary is £11850 per year to keep you from going into the 20% income tax bracket.
    Then every thing else paid is paid as dividend.
    The first £2000 is tax free as a dividend allowance.
    So now you are up to £13850 just paying national insurance, no income or dividend tax.

It then follows the same thresholds as normal salary.
    Basic rate £13,850 (Inc div allowance) up to £46,350
    Higher rate £46,351 up to £150,000
    Additional rate £150,000+

The difference is the percentages paid at each threshold.
    Basic rate 7.5% instead of 20%
    Higher rate 32.5% instead of 40%
    Additional rate 38.1% instead of 45%

However as a business you also need to factor in corporation tax which is 20% of profit but often with a rebate of 10% for contractors, so in effect just 10%. (really complex bit of tax law that I believe is because they tax dividends later)

Still with me? I'm not sure I am.

Let's take that 100k job. I'm not going to do NI because it isn't a lot but be aware the company pays and the individual pays so as a self employed one man band you effectively pay twice.
    Over the course of a year you will invoice for 100k plus VAT at 20% so total £120,000.
    The tax man will most likely take all that VAT back again. For arguments sake let's say they do.

You now have 100k again.

Pay a salary of £11850 leaves £88,150.
    Let's also assume there are no expenses although this would be the point you claim these, before corporation tax comes out.
    So 10% corporation tax leaves us with £79,335 to pay out as dividends.

Dividend tax
    £2000 at 0% = £0
    £32,500 at 7.5% = £2437
    £44,835 at 32.5% = £14,568
    Total £17,005

Take home would be £62,330. Plus the 11,850 Salary. Total £74,180.

Other things to consider.
    Negatives.
    No sick pay, no holiday, accountant fees, insurances such as public liability, loss of earnings etc. No company pension contributions.

Positives
    Claiming back expenses like account fees, food away from home, mileage, software, hardware, tools, home office, internet, phone. Get your own pension sorted, many company pensions are trash even with the contributions.

I'm pretty sure that is correct, don't go using it as a basis for a self assessment mind.

Edit: a note on National Insurance.
    It is only paid on salary, not dividends.
    So with the calculations above both the company and the individual would pay 12% on £11,850. So 1,422 for the company and the individual for a total bill of 2,844, in real terms slightly less as it comes out before Corp tax.
    Call it 70 and change
  • As for how you are treated.
    Well it depends on the business. I found it was the first time I was treated with any respect by upper management. Other staff are normally keen to talk, and it can be a great way of improving your knowledge base if you got to various places.

I have done it for nearly 4 years and really enjoy it.
    My brother did the same amount of time at Nissan solely and didn't get much out of it, he was an employee without the benefits really. He wasn't treated poorly by staff but then most guys there were contractors. He pre-empted the contractor cull and is fully employed now somewhere else (actually the same.location but a different employer) and is happy.

One thing about jobbing is you have to be prepared to make hay while the sun shines. It can involve working long hours, weekends at times then nothing for a month, total freedom. Feast and famine stuff. When you are in work you are there to work as well, it can be a culture shock to some but I like it, I always resented arbitrary 9-5 hours, sitting at a desk doing nothing pissed me off.
  • To expand a bit on pensions.

I'm not an expert, I believe that is Nexx or possibly Dubs' field.

What I would say is to look at your company pension and make sure it is working for you.

The government minimum contributions are pretty low and it depends on how the funds are being invested.

Companies have to cater for everyone from the office runner to the senior 2 days from retirement. It can mean they are risk averse in their investments. If it goes tits up that senior is going to be pissed off.

IMHO when young you are better off putting at least some of your pension contributions into riskier investments as you have time to rebuild and/or ride waves. As you get older there is less opportunity to recover and on retirement you want everything sitting solid and safe as you won't ever have a wage again.

I have a SIPP which I can't withdraw from for 25 years but I can move funds, decide which level of risk to invest in and at what percentages. It is totally maluable and always growing but I have to sit on it.
    It involves some work but is much, much better than what a company going through the motions would offer, even with their contributions.
  • @live thanks a bunch for that breakdown. Makes sense. I'm thinking of going contracting for say ten years, then switch back to a regular salaried job. Contracting only way we can move to the house I'd like us to be in for next 20 years and pay chunks of the mortgage off. Also as we have a little one on the way, contracting is the only way we could realistically still afford a holiday abroad every year.

The lack of sick pay, paid holidays etc is a pain as is the pitfalls of contracts being cancelled and finding work but I think financially it makes sense.

Also if Mrs Dino didn't want to go back to work for a few years post maternity leave, I could pay her a dividend from the company as a shareholder. Effectively paying her to stay home and bring up the baby.
  • Sticking with the example above as @live said circa 70k. What would be the equivalent salaried amount to that 70k?

A wild guess, maybe 60k salaried. Including pension contributions from employer, paid leave, paid sick leave.

So a sidenote, had a general browse of contracting roles in IT. Security / Solutions architect roles rates are crazy £650-£950 a day! Damn. Unfortunately the thought of writing documents all day long bores me silly.
  • Word of warning - it can be a nightmare getting a mortgage if you are self employed, so if you are thinking of moving then just think about timing. You'd probably need at least two years of good earnings to show and even then you might find they lend conservatively.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So get a mortgage first? Or is that naughty?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Sticking with the example above as @live said circa 70k. What would be the equivalent salaried amount to that 70k?

A wild guess, maybe 60k salaried. Including pension contributions from employer, paid leave, paid sick leave.

So a sidenote, had a general browse of contracting roles in IT. Security / Solutions architect roles rates are crazy £650-£950 a day! Damn. Unfortunately the thought of writing documents all day long bores me silly.

We tend to think of on-costs as being circa 20%. In reality, it's more complicated, but it's a good rule of thumb.

On that basis, the salary amount of 70k would be 56k. That's what the employee gets, versus the cost to the organisation to cover NI, pensions and other stuff.

The point above re mortgages is a good one. I personally wouldn't contract out to afford something I couldn't in a more traditional role - especially with a baby in the mix too.
  • Factor in the cost of good quality income protection too, it's a must if you're self employed.
  • Couple of extra things to consider when contracting.

I would expect those rates you quote to be ‘attractors’, our rates for very specific skills, I personally wouldn’t expect to get paid near that. A number of these roles will also never exist, but for the purposes of harvesting CVs.
    You will be first in and first out to cut costs. 
    Expect to be in work 60 to 75 percent of the time, and pro rata your wages/savings to take account of that (so that £100k a year job would actually be £70k gross take out). Anything higher than that is making hay.
    Your take home wage, cash paid into the bank every month is just under £1k to take into account tax and NI benefits noted above, no more. If you pay yourself more one month, the tax man will jump all over it and demand that you increase your basic. You therefore need to ensure that you can comfortably live on that amount until you can top up with the dividend payments.
    No sick, no benefits, etc.
  • Cosby wrote:
    Fucking GDPR. Can I just throw everyone's personal data in the confidential shredding and be done with this? Can't wait to get back to my regular job.

GDPR is an absolute nightmare from my perspective.  Suddenly we have to employ a DPO from somewhere, no-one seems to know the answers to all sorts of fairly rudimentary questions about how it applies in a health setting, we can no-longer charge for the incredibly lengthy and difficult task of wading through someone's entire life story removing references to third parties etc etc etc.

No idea how we're going to afford the DPO (we're looking to try and share one with other practices, but finding someone who both properly understands the legislation AND how it applies to healthcare is proving tricky).  Most ridiculous thing so far though has been having to write a bloody Privacy Statement for kids...
  • Ah feck all around here but I have seen an upgrade on my current role so hhmm I'll have a think. Wanna do another six months/a year for experience though tbh.
    Must mean Serco don't do the contract at ya local, must be NHS then. No idea how they post jobs.

www.jobs.nhs.uk
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Fucking EU red tape.

Seriously though I think GDPR has gone way beyond what is sensible.
  • @Dante unlucky man, good on you for taking the positives out of the interview, which there always are. Use it to power up your next approach.

I’m on my way in for a first interview at somewhere I really, really want to work. This is my third first interview since getting on the job hunt again. The first two were great for suring up weaknesses in the way I present myself, I wasn’t that keen on them but they’ve helped build up my confidence for today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Fucking EU red tape. Seriously though I think GDPR has gone way beyond what is sensible.

I think the reaction hasn't been sensible. What it requires isn't a enormous amount more than the Data Protection Act already does. This time though there is a Bill that means possible arrests - so it has got attention of top of house (or at least it should) 

Fear has created an industry around it - that's for sure. The ICO will only hammer people who are being pricks - as long as organisations are being reasonable, have good practice in place or have a plan under progress with the highest risk stuff dealt with first, there will be some latitiude over the next year or so.

I feel the pressure is on SMEs  esp those dealing with finance etc as there is work to be done to ensure they are keeping people's data safe.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good luck with the interview Nick!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Smash it Nick!
    Can-of-sprite
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good luck Nick.
  • @Dante unlucky man, good on you for taking the positives out of the interview, which there always are. Use it to power up your next approach. 

I’m on my way in for a first interview at somewhere I really, really want to work. This is my third first interview since getting on the job hunt again. The first two were great for suring up weaknesses in the way I present myself, I wasn’t that keen on them but they’ve helped build up my confidence for today.

Cheers man. Good luck with your interview!
  • Cheers hair and temps.

This job is by no means My Calling, but it's proving very good for my general wellbeing as I tackle getting my house in order and trying to become A Real Adult (saving for car, house etc).

This is how I feel about my work. I don't think I can do better than having a job that I don't mind going to each time I have to go. I'm not especially passionate about anything so I don't think I'll ever have "a calling"

Shift work suits me too as I like the odd sleep in and midweek excursion.
  • Good luck Nick, smash it!
  • Cheers all.

That could not have gone any better, easliy the most prepared I’ve ever been. The interviewer was very positive, saying he could imagine me fitting in, but did cite lack of industry-specific experience as a factor. My response was to say that I’d take a course in my own time in the subject matter. Couldn’t have done any more, so whatever happens I can rest knowing I gave it my all.
  • Awesome man, hope it comes off well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!