Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just seen this. Bossed it Nick, get in. SnB workplace, run go tell ya friend
  • I'm regards to what @equinox wrote. Is it normal to be expected to do unpaid overtime? My initial reaction is fuck that. You (employer) pay me for the time I spend working for you. Why the hell should I work extra for free?

I realise in reality it's not that simple, just wondering how many people do extra hours unpaid.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    … just wondering how many people do extra hours unpaid.

It’s normal in most creative industries, I can tell you that much.

My contracts have always included bits about working extra hours as and when a task requires.
  • Nope, if I'm working, you pay me for it. I've done it when I was younger, it's exploitation pure and simple.
  • poprock wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    … just wondering how many people do extra hours unpaid.

It’s normal in most creative industries, I can tell you that much.

My contracts have always included bits about working extra hours as and when a task requires.

My last job i was contracted to 40 hours a week, would often end up doing 55-60. Current jobs similar, but because there's more managers here it's easier to get the time back if i work extra. When i worked for Arnold Clark, it was 60 hours a week, just 1 day off. And that would always be the day the customer wanted to collect their car. Every bloody time.
  • I want to interview nickfullspec. In my head it's like a life changing experience, ending in chestbumps and bro fists, everyone files out of the interview to pick up ubereat ribs and get smashed in the boardroom waiting for the strippers.

fImlXBv.gif
  • After nearly 3 months I got my GW rejection

woo
  • That's a fucking shambles from them btw. Three months. Fuck em.
  • Ah that's shite. Bad luck mate, but yeah, fuck 'em.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Aw temps, that's balls.  Any feedback or anything?  I can't believe the mess they've been, part of me thinks it's actually a silver lining in that sense that they'd be a bloody nightmare to work for.  Hugs.
  • Irony of ironies, I am on my way to Warhammer World to play some games with some people, good to have thing cleared up.
  • Three fucking months.

Still, look at it this way – it took ’em that long to decide. Means you were 100% in with a chance and they found the decision difficult.They would have rejected you a lot quicker if they definitely weren’t interested.
  • Aye they said as much, just trying to get some feedback now
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry to hear Temps.
  • Yeah. Shit sandwich, Tempo. Sorry.
  • Bugger. At least you have an answer, as shit an answer as it is
  • Not sure where to put this, but I guess here’ll do.

I’ve just finished writing a short book about videogames, or at least how certain games reflect different ideological positions that are relevant in modern societies. It draws on my academic work in ideology theory, political theory and psychoanalysis, but isn’t written as an academic book, so should be reasonably accessible even if it’s still kind of ‘highbrow’ (for want of a better term).

So now I need to get a contract with a publisher, which means writing a proposal. Part of that involves giving as much info as possible about the target audience for the book and the kinds of publicity I could generate to try and sell it. I’m hoping some of you lot can help here.

Basically I want to know of any online outlets that might possibly want to talk about the book, or contain groups of potential buyers. For example: other games forums, blogs or podcasts that might interview me or review/discuss it, particular people on Twitter/FB/YT etc. with a good reach – pretty much anywhere there’s an interest in games that may overlap with an interest in (lefty) politics/cultural analysis. Any suggestions would be good here – I really don’t know much about the world of game discussion outside the academic stuff.

It would also be good if 1 or 2 of you could actually read the manuscript as it is. Just to see if it’s sufficiently easy to read and I haven’t missed anything important about the games. As I say, it’s a short book – about 29000 words – so shouldn’t take long. Perhaps send me a PM if you’d be up for this. Or, if anyone would be up for doing Amazon reviews if the time comes that would also help (unless you don’t like it of course).
  • First thoughts are people who have done previous game focused books like Stanton, Simon Parkin, Keza McDonald and maybe even Darren Anderson, they might be interested?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Luv 2 copy edit. If you want me to run over it, let me know. Having done that literal job, then an English teacher, and now checking UCAS statements, I think I'm getting good at it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Notes at end of every chapter:

Could do with more about Amiibos.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No no no that's too 2016 living in the past man.

Notes at end of every chapter
    "Yes but what about Majima"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    [Insert Homer I used to be with it gif here]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    [Skinner is it me or are the kids gif]
  • Temps, what a shitty way to go about giving you their decision. At least you’re not going to work at a place where they go about things that way.

Jon what an effort, sounds amazing. I’m interested to see how things go with the book and best of luck.

@gonz hopefully you’ll get the opportunity - the interview in question was for a database of legal info, specifically competition and antitrust info. This is probably not your field at all ha

@skade will do man, they are cooking away nicely at the moment over oak wood
  • regmcfly wrote:
    No no no that's too 2016 living in the past man. Notes at end of every chapter "Yes but what about Majima"
    As it happens I’m thinking of adding a chapter on Yakuza 0 later. It would fit well with the rest of the book.
  • What ribs did you get Nick, my ongoing search for baby backs at a decent price continues and I'm stuck with Costco's spares.
  • They look like baby backs, from the Ginger Pig butcher in London. Full rack for £8, not cheap but beautifully marbled and deep pink meat.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Luv 2 copy edit. If you want me to run over it, let me know. Having done that literal job, then an English teacher, and now checking UCAS statements, I think I'm getting good at it.
    Yeah, that would be good too, but seems a bit much to ask for free. Just a quick read through and some general points would be fine, rather than a full proof read. PM me an email address and I’ll send it to you.

Edit: Also, cheers @Tempy, I’ll take a look at those. Would be interested in your opinion of the book as well if you have time.
  • They look like baby backs, from the Ginger Pig butcher in London. Full rack for £8, not cheap but beautifully marbled and deep pink meat.

Nice, local butcher's round my way won't even cut them unless you pay for the full loin as well. You Londoners don't know how well you've got it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!