Work - The pros and the cons...
  • My working day is 8.5 hours and thats at least twice as long as it should be.

Are you still in a customer facing role? Because that's a long time to face the public in a situation where you have to (politely) deal with complaints. I generally try to keep my waiters to 5 to 6 hour shifts maximum because you can see the burnout by hour 5.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Totally misheard a colleague just there asking if anyone wanted any popcorn.

I heard “Anyone want any poppers?” and the afternoon almost took on a very different vibe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So we are about to strike or at least be balloted for strike action and we did a whip round of our guidance dept in terms of hours in the last week. This includes going home and typing up minutes and also doing work emails - something I think the ability to access it from anywhere has really impacted. Here were the 4 guidance teacher results. I'm in there but not going to say which one I am -

Teacher 1 - 54 hours
    Teacher 2 - 52 hours
    Teacher 3 - 64 hours
    Teacher 4 - 60 hours

So much for the 35 hour working week contract.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lol fuck literally as I wrote that, the EIS just got us an incredibly good new deal.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lololol
  • What do you think the long term solution is to the problem Reg?

Obviously getting paid for the hours you work is step 1.
    Given the high pressure nature of the job it doesn't seem correct to be doing that many hours even if paid for them.

Is it just a case of more teachers or could some of this work be taken on by an admin team? 
    Cutting bureaucracy Im sure would help but is that possible?

Genuine questions btw, my knowledge of of the day to day of teaching is limited to here, second hand info from my mate whose sister teaches and decade old info from my Auntie.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The thing we had a discussion about yesterday with the union was we actually don't give a fuck about the pay but want our time back. I actually voted to take the first deal because I wanted the union to focus on time and support .
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In my school we are literally at the cusp and maybe (MAYBE) a bit over the cusp of the max number of pupils a Pupil Support Leader should have and we would rather ration out our caseloads and not have to go home every night worrying about the same 10-15 kids. I'll take 4-5.
  • As someone who watched my wife start teaching, and who 8 years later has continued at the same school, I give my full absolute fucking support.

She would be teacher 4. She gets up at 5:30am, gets in for 7 and leaves about 5 (unless she has to stay behind as she deals with pastoral stuff now and ha does the child safety stuff), and works about 2-4 hours every night.

She is continuously stressed and overworked, and it genuinely puts a strain on our relationship sometimes as I find myself dealing with the housework and kids etc. Not to mention anytime we finally have some time to ourselves she gets a laptop out and starts working again.

I hope it works out Reg (and others here), it’s totally outrageously unfair and complete bollocks to expect that level of work so regularly.
  • It totally broke me in training so, y'know, hats off to teachers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. My fake teaching was tough enough. Actual real teaching is something else entirely.
  • Isn't that why you get the summer off?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Don't start that
  • I spent most of today writing our pitch for a tender that’s valued at about 100x what we usually go in for. No pressure then, eh?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Isn't that why you get the summer off?

You want to fucking calculate hours. This is not a fight you want to do even flippantly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let's not even mention the fact that our salaries as people who have 2 degrees don't include our summer holidays, so with the kindest way possible, even if you meant it lightly and therefore are perpetrating stereotypes, fuck off.
  • poprock wrote:
    I spent most of today writing our pitch for a tender that’s valued at about 100x what we usually go in for. No pressure then, eh?

Gizza job?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • I'm awesome at pretending to be a good teacher and I just push all the anxiety down into a little bubble I've formed in my stomach.

The summer holiday is incredibly good. And Christmas is amazing. But that doesn't take away from the fact that teaching is an incredibly consuming job, that leaves you making far more decisions, making more daily presentations, educating children in ways beyond the job due to how shit most people are at parenting, and is far more anxiety inducing (and all for ok-to pretty good pay) that the vast majority of jobs.
  • Yeah I have nothing but respect for you teacher guys, I have several months of this shit at the tail end of a project, I wouldn't want it to be the norm.
  • Not all teachers have to do it. It does vary between schools. My school is pretty good.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Yeah I have nothing but respect for you teacher guys, I have several months of this shit at the tail end of a project, I wouldn't want it to be the norm.

Seconded. Teaching is hugely undervalued overall as a career by the paymasters. Given its role in the shaping of the future of every country its terribly under paid and funded

SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Isn't that why you get the summer off?
    You want to fucking calculate hours. This is not a fight you want to do even flippantly.
    Apologies Reg, was just a playful jab. Thought it'd be ok as things looked to be going the right direction with the union.
    I too have utmost respect for teachers and would never be able to do their work even if it paid well.
    Sorry again.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No bother. I was grumpy and am feeling generally pretty low right now. Sorry for the narkiness
  • Feeling a bit lost in this job. But whatever I feel about the people, the tools we're given that fail, the constant job-based class system that follows me everywhere and makes me feel like I'm scum in front of nurses and doctors, I can't escape the fact that I simply don't earn enough to do the things I want to do, and build for the future. So I feel bad.

But then I feel worse when I think "well, what will I do?" and realise all my experience is in retail/customer service and that's a sector that's either dying or dead, despite the competition for the small amount of jobs. I don't know what I want to do any more. I just want them fat stacks lololol. Would be nice to have an occupation that didn't leave me scraping to the next payday. Its all I know.

Sigh. Tough day.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Customer service skills can be spun into all sorts of things. Being able to communicate well is a key skill that practically every job wants.

I was in a similar situation to you and something finally fell into my lap. You just have to keep your eyes open and work out how to pull person-specification-related examples out when needed.
  • Not sure this'll help, Gav, and I'm posting in a rush, but from my experience as someone who's had to take both wife and daughter to hospital more times than I'd have liked (i.e. ever) it's not the people at the top of the pay grade that I've been most appreciative of (and frankly some of the ones I've interacted with should not be in their jobs), it's the human beings that make the hospitals tick.  That's people like you. The woman who worked in the reception shop in Livingston.  The nurse who was so sweet at ARI.  The porter chatting shit with my wife as he wheeled her down to the CT unit.

Trust me, you make a difference.

I realise you still get paid very little and so, er, that won't help with the fat stacks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!