General Games News
  • Ah, ok.  Thanks.  Difficult to research while home alone with Spawn.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I can read hyperlinks mate i'm in the matrix.
  • I am counting the hours.
  • Can't remember the thread people were talking about games not achieving "next gen status" this gen, but there's an interesting bit at the start of SuperBunnyhop's re-review of Rainbow 6: Siege where he suggests that the graphical engine that allows for the penetration and destruction of scenery in a totally modular and not canned way is the kind of thing that would only work on next gen, backed up by statements from Ubisoft that say they left behind Rainbow 6: Patriots to work on siege as Patriots was too last gen. Given the nonsense in Siege - bullets of various calibre leave wildly different hole sizes in walls etc - I can totally believe that, and it is in line with my thoughts that the next-generation is really the devil in the details that people take for granted.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks Gav.  OK, so I can't pre-order until Saturday - any idea what time on Saturday?  I've no idea where they're based. We don't even have a record player.
    Every other time I've grabbed one (have been Streets of Rage 1-2) it's gone up at 9am. They're not a fan of limited runs so you should be fine.

Just tried to buy PD.  Site reopens at 7pm for the launch (don't take my word for it unless it changes between now and then, but that's what it says at the mo).
  • Tempy wrote:
    Can't remember the thread people were talking about games not achieving "next gen status" this gen, but there's an interesting bit at the start of SuperBunnyhop's re-review of Rainbow 6: Siege where he suggests that the graphical engine that allows for the penetration and destruction of scenery in a totally modular and not canned way is the kind of thing that would only work on next gen, backed up by statements from Ubisoft that say they left behind Rainbow 6: Patriots to work on siege as Patriots was too last gen. Given the nonsense in Siege - bullets of various calibre leave wildly different hole sizes in walls etc - I can totally believe that, and it is in line with my thoughts that the next-generation is really the devil in the details that people take for granted.

Aye.  Apart from the Bob thing I think people were saying that bells and whistles aside, the jump from 'last gen' to 'next gen' was smaller than it usually is this time around, which I'd definitely agree with.  I'd probably file this example under case in point - the incremental improvements are undeniably there, but the 'not previously possible' aspects are far less pronounced.  There will never be another sea change; if you squint it's the same, basically.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Until the infinite power of the cloud is unleashed...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks Gav.  OK, so I can't pre-order until Saturday - any idea what time on Saturday?  I've no idea where they're based. We don't even have a record player.
    Every other time I've grabbed one (have been Streets of Rage 1-2) it's gone up at 9am. They're not a fan of limited runs so you should be fine.

Just tried to buy PD.  Site reopens at 7pm for the launch (don't take my word for it unless it changes between now and then, but that's what it says at the mo).

Yar, just got the same message.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    UNLIKELY CHECK DMS I AM ABLE TO GET ACCESS EARLY
  • ORDERED, cheers Reg.  Limited edition already gone so no chance of a signed one, unfortunately.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    So, Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite is a thing. Hopefully it's not PS4 exclusive like SF V.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    New Edge just dropped in, here's some scores for you to boil piss over

The Last Guardian
    Spoiler:
    Final Fantasy XV
    Spoiler:
    Dead Rising 4
    Spoiler:
    Steep
    Spoiler:
    Let It Die
    Spoiler:
    I Expect You To Die
    Spoiler:
    Superhot VR
    Spoiler:
    Super Mario Run
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am perfectly happy with that Let it Die score. Was expecting a [6].
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Last Guardian compromise. Everyone will be happy right.
  • The TLG score, would love to read that review as I can't see how it got that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    The TLG score, would love to read that review as I can't see how it got that.

Also it
    Spoiler:
  • Verecocha wrote:

Try Eurogamer review, they gave it their top rating (Essential).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Key piece of work innit. Those cornerstone games should actually get Edge 10s - although I've got a feeling SotC only got about an 8. Which is frankly ludicrous.
  • So did ICO. Which is even ridiciludicrouser
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Also it
    Spoiler:

They still have some taste.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Also it
    Spoiler:

I wouldn't argue over it being a quality game in a number of fashions, but there's too many faults and issues in my opinion for it to have such a high score.
  • Yeah, the faults are glaring. It's narrative is fantastic, its mechanics are broken. [6]
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would give LTG a 9 or 10 based on my playthrough. I feel like SotC and LTG were probably not designed sufficiently around non-ideal playing. I ran into loads of issues in SotC and had a miserable time a lot of the time, so my opinion of it wasn't as positive as others'. I wasn't adversely affected by the issues a lot of people had in the LTG, I think largely because I approached most of it in the way the developers intended, and had a great time with it. I think they will always be YMMV kind of games. Also, art is subjective! It's OK to not agree with a score.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Verecocha wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Also it
    Spoiler:
    I wouldn't argue over it being a quality game in a number of fashions, but there's too many faults and issues in my opinion for it to have such a high score.

They probably didn't experiance them, like me.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Also it
    Spoiler:

No, everyone experiences them, some are more forgiving as perhaps the narrative experience elevates it. It can easily be the GotY as that can be justified in experience, however the scoring system should reflect the game mechanics etc also.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Also it
    Spoiler:

Yeah - I think that the luck you have with regards camera and control issues is gonna play a bit part in scoring this. I never had problems with obedience and rarely had to fight the camera - I dunno why. Maybe playstyle? Who knows...
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Also it
    Spoiler:

No, everyone experiences them, some are more forgiving as perhaps the narrative experience elevates it. It can easily be the GotY as that can be justified in experience, however the scoring system should reflect the game mechanics etc also.

Really? Everyone ran into problems with The mechanics? I'm sorry you had a bad time with the game, but that's some assumption you make there...

• I'll have to play again to be sure, but I'm pretty sure there were at least two points where the camera was an unavoidable problem. The number of times it had issues otherwise lead me to think people are just ignoring them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!