General Games News
  • From a comment it seems like he may have mistook a feature for a bug.
    Spoiler:
  • Slant was the place with the Zeldus review.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    From a comment it seems like he may have mistook a feature for a bug.
    Spoiler:

Even the dude at ign who had their prey save corrupt only gave it a 4. It's madness
  • I'd be fucking furious. It's not up to the devs to decide how I get to play and enjoy a game. And yes I know that sounds a bit ridiculous.
  • It's completely ridiculous.
    Please leonardo da Vinci please adjust the smile so I can enjoy it without having to use my own brain to perceive nuance.
  • +1 for SuperBunnyHop and Errant Signal on YouTube. Cheers temps for getting me on them.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Instead of asking in the Hellblade thread, I'll put this here.  I've noticed Eurogamer seem to be considered a decent source for reviews these days, is that generally the case?  I've lost track of which websites/mags are considered reliable as I mostly read a random good and bad review from Metacritic links.  Destructoid for example - I have no idea, but I've noticed they're a little more restrained than most in terms of scoring.  Which of the names that appear on Metacritic are considered worth reading?  Subjective, obviously, but it'd be nice to know what people like.

As Tempy says:
    Tempy wrote:
    Read the reviewer not the site.

But, yeah, if you wanted specific sites and stuff then, sure, Eurogamer are generally solid and have been for a while, but it's worth checking author as it will give you an inkling of how your tastes match.

Destructoid are fine for Jap nerd shit, generally - Atlus games, niche side scrollers, Souls etc. Their whole fanbase is full of people who discuss who is best waifu and all that shit, so they have their uses, but I'm not a regular there unless there's something Persona related.

ACG on YouTube tends to be worthwhile in that he actually discusses stuff like audiowork. He does that annoying thing where games are broken into their component parts - audio, visuals etc - but just about gets away with it because the guy actually knows his shit.

Easy Allies - also on YouTube - are ex-gamestrailers guys. Which means they're hype prone and basically a video-based IGN. But I tend to check their stuff as it's relatively free of cynicism and they have The Last Guardian GOTY, so I know our tastes often align.

But yeah - if you can find writers you like, follow them rather than the site.
  • While he was doing games a lot Steve burns was a good critic
  • Always liked Edge and find myself aligned with their views and reviews, still do, but they Souls wankery is getting way too annoying
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I haven’t read Edge in years, so I still just assume I’ll generally agree with them on stuff. I’d probably get a shock if I actually picked up a copy.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Always liked Edge and find myself aligned with their views and reviews, still do, but they Souls wankery is getting way too annoying

The review section has gone from being first ready to maybe read after a glance at the scores.
    The Forum Herald™
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I go between Destructoid and Eurogamer for news.
    I think for reviews, Eurogamer is a solid enough replacement for Edge.

But Edge is still very well written. I can't deny that.

That said, it's very expensive now, and I don't have as much time for it.
    I'll buy it if they're covering something that I'm very interested in, but know very little about.

Like, I was tempted to buy the latest one for the Mario Odyssey preview...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • regmcfly wrote:
    1/10 for Hellblade suggests dude was after the Metacriticclick.

Having seen that video (but not the original review which has been pulled), he encountered a situation where the game autosaved in a position where he could no longer progress because he hadn't picked something up, but could no longer go back to get that item.

That doesn't sound like a feature to me, that sounds like a gamebreaking bug.
  • Still not a one out of ten

Skyrim on PS4 has done that multiple times to me
    The Forum Herald™
  • That you seem to be ok with that seems the worse thing to me.
  • Well I wouldn't not want to experience skyrim.

You can back saves up on USB if your that worries
    The Forum Herald™
  • Eurogamer and RPS for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That you seem to be ok with that seems the worse thing to me.

Game being great fun, having a good time, but then it crashes. That's worthy of dropping something down to a 1/10? Something he describes as...

1 (Accursed): A 1 represents not just a bad game, but something offensively bad. Typically, but not always, something so truly vile that the reviewer can’t even manage to get a fraction of the way into it. The game doesn’t have to be broken beyond playability, but that’s common. It could also be so unintuitively designed, intellectually insulting, or even morally bankrupt as to render it beyond salvation. Either way, there is NO potential for a good time, even a meager one. There’s no talent, no skill, no depth, and no hope. This is… The Accursed.

Sorry mate. He's shilling it.
  • Which was my point
    The Forum Herald™
  • His output seems to be a cycle of creating controversy and then reacting to it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    His output seems to be a cycle of creating controversy and then reacting to it.

Yes. Sometimes it's very very funny, but as I said, never reliable.
  • I didn't know that he had descriptions for the scores.

But still, it didn't crash. It had a situation whereby it rendered itself impossible to progress. In other words, the game broke. Now scores are shit, but if you use them, I can't see why dropping that down is all that much of an issue.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck man, those DOS games back in the day must have been SHIIIIITTTT.

And also Portal 2. That crashed on me on PC - got completely stuck and couldn't get out of a wall.
  • Did the game save with you in the wall?
  • Sterling belongs to that school of internet buffoonery that resembles a child's drawing of a dinosaur going RAAARR!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Most of the 500k+ sub club do.
  • Yup.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I had a bug on Half-Life 2 where a door that was supposed to open never opened and progress became impossible.

Then again, it was already pretty shit without that.
  • JonB wrote:
    I had a bug on Half-Life 2 where a door that was supposed to open never opened and progress became impossible.

Then again, it was already pretty shit without that.

I had a copy of hl2 which didn't work if you loaded it from a save point. All the ai and scripting was dead. It did work from chapter starts though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!