General Games News
  • trippy wrote:
    So, former Valve writer Marc Laidlaw wrote a synopsis of Half Life 2 Episode 3 on his website.
    Spoiler:
    It's made me  realise I no longer care that much about Half Life but the best line is relevant to all of us here.
    Spoiler:
    I kid, I kid.
    Anyhoo, was just reading that and about to post same. Sounds quite good, but as Trippy rightly points out, who really cares any more? All the time-wimey stuff sounds a bit like what they ended up doing in Titanfall2's campaign. I guess we'll never know.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Usually games you enjoy have final entries with shit stories. Halo, metal gear are typical of this. 

Maybe half life is best unfinished, even if that scenario sounds pretty spiffy.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'd love to see Half-Life 3, but mostly for whatever new power they'd introduce.

The gravity gun and the portal gun felt revolutionary. Perhaps that's part of the problem, they've not found a neat enough trick.
  • Phase gun perhaps. Put stuff out of synch or in synch with the surrounding reality. Think of it as a slightly more interactive and localised other world a la Ikaruga and Soul Reaver.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Eg sync someone in phase with a bench or fridge so they inhabit the same space and die/get stuck. 

Pretty good potential if the world is full of machinery...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The problem with crunch is that people who like their jobs but aren't Live To Work types are being made to feel coerced (either explicitly or through guilt / pressure) into participating in a shitty practice, that has gone unchallenged for too long. I know some genuine Workaholic types, and they'll never stop working. They convince themselves that they're busy and the world will end if they don't deal with everything as soon as it comes in but, in reality, it's the only thing that they really want to be doing. And that's cool, if it gives them satisfaction- but it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat others with. The problem for me is not the article, then, but the site that published it. I like and read Polygon - not religiously - but I don't have the intense negative reaction most do to it. However, Polygon (bless them) have never been interested in having a "discussion", which is exactly the line they're trying to use in the comments section now that their own readers are ripping into them. Polygon is the most black-and-white no nuance pls mainstream gaming website out there at the mo, and they would be the first in line to rip into a site that published what they published today, as being irresponsible and callous.

Yeah... I read Polygon too.

But more as a control between the relatively stoic Eurogamer, and the sheer chaotic exuberance of Destructoid.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    People have had mental health illnesses because of crunch People have lost relationships because of crunch People have quit the industry because of crunch

What are you taking exception to here?

It's a shit piece, but it's not particularly damaging to anything but Destructoid's rep for good content.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well you mean Polygon? Yeah I take offence to the editorial team for going "aye this is good to publish" not the writer's opinion. Cinty said it far more eloquently than I could.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just about everything I've ever read has something in it which I though was shit.
    Was quite surprised by the comments tbh.

I'm more put out by what people actually find outrageous these days!

In fact, I've probably read many times as much bollocks in Edge from the revered Redeye!

But, I kinda get your point...

What was the name of the mag some of us badgers tried to get going? Playd, was it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correcto
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just ftr Im not outraged, I just think it's a shitty article and potentially a dangerous one to commission, and given Polygon's supposed remit it just feels clickbaity
  • As some have suggested you can also take parts of that half life story as his feelings about the project. Especially that last paragraph. I like reading it that way, seems like he's given up on it ever being a thing. Not that that's a good thing.
  • To be fair he is a former Valve writer, so his version is probably never going to happen.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Just ftr Im not outraged, I just think it's a shitty article and potentially a dangerous one to commission, and given Polygon's supposed remit it just feels clickbaity

Meh, Polygon have always had a tendency towards clickbaity titles, despite their words to the contrary - it's gotten especially apparent in the last 3-6 months.

It's the hypocrisy that makes me laugh - they're the first to call others out and absolutely hate being called out themselves. But, I suppose that's a human thing, rather than a Polygon thing, so I shouldn't be too hard on them - I'm actually glad they published it, kinda, if it really does mean they're gonna start looking at increasing the scope of discussion on the site, and challenge (rather than mollycoddle) their reader base, but I very much doubt that's the case. *shrug*
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that the line between an interesting title and a clickbaity one is incredibly subjective. I didn't find that clickbaity myself.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think that the line between an interesting title and a clickbaity one is incredibly subjective. I didn't find that clickbaity myself.

Oh, no - me neither. Should have stated as much. Their clickbaity titles are usually the ones related to their comic / TV / Media stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, fair play. I don't know what those are like. Polygon don't get much attention from me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to rephrase my clickbait comment if that's okay.

It feels like something that's designed to get industry / other sites commenting and therefore bring people to Polygon. Rather cynical, and as mentioned, somewhat against their supposed MO.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    'Engagement' whether through comments or shares is becoming a big metric for measuring the success of articles online for the simple fact that nobody has any clue how to measure the success of articles online.

Everyone knows that you can write something super clickbaity and totally insubstantial and get a bajillion clicks from users who will never visit your site again, but few people would consider that a successful article. On the other hand you can write something important that is read by a tiny number of people but causes a change in the world around you (the classic example of this is exposing corruption in local government which leads to the resignation of councillors). That clickbait article may never be shared by anyone, but the corruption-exposing one will be, and likely for a long time after publication (if not widely).

So yes, getting people to engage may be taken as a measure of success, but if you can come up with a better measure, the publishing industry would love to hear it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I call it "good writing"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But it being a metric doesn't excuse the publisher for putting forward what is, at best, a misguided piece that reads the room wrongly, and at worst, a cynical piece that goes against the site's supposed ethos.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That is true.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyway, moving on, here's the gamescom awards

Best of Gamescom

Super Mario Odyssey—Nintendo

Gamescom Award for Best Add-on/DLC

Battlefield 1: In the Name of the Tsar—EA

Gamescom Award for Best Booth

EA

Best Console Game, Sony PlayStation 4

Assassin's Creed Origins—Ubisoft

Best Console Game, Microsoft Xbox One

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War—Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Best Console Game, Nintendo Switch

Best PC Game

Kingdom Come: Deliverance—Koch Media

Best Mobile Game

Metroid: Samus Returns—Nintendo

Best Role-Playing Game

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom—Bandai Namco

Best Racing Game

Forza Motorsport 7—Microsoft

Best Action Game

Best Simulation Game

Project Cars 2—Bandai Namco

Best Sports Game

PES 2018—Konami

Best Family Game

Best Strategy Game

Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle—Ubisoft

Best Puzzle/Skill Game

God's Trigger—Techland

Best Social/Online Game

Destiny 2—Activision Blizzard

Best Casual Game

Hidden Agenda—Sony

Best Multiplayer Game

Destiny 2—Activision Blizzard

Best Virtual Reality Game

Fallout 4 VR—ZeniMax

Best Hardware

Xbox One X—Microsoft

Gamescom "Most Wanted" Consumer Award

Gamescom Indie Award

Double Kick Heroes—Headbang Club

Sorry for crappy formatting
  • Are you here from the future?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shocker on the best hardware. I was convinced it was going to be, um, something?
  • Weird that Xbox and PS4 got different best multiplatform games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just noticed the "best booth" award. Do you think they had carpenters checking out the quality of the joints and giving them marks out of 10?
  • It's whoever had the most 'babes'
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!