General Games News
  • Not that one. Two excellent out of a total of Five.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I would like an X-COM ADD-ON
  • XCOM-2: Sausage
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I just pre-ordered The New Colossus but maybe.
  • i'll be getting wotc and twhw2 in some order
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I will be new collosus on dat pc fo sho
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dunno if people have read this but polygon hitting a new low with this piece of shit article

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/23/16184068/why-i-worship-crunch
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    People have had mental health illnesses because of crunch
    People have lost relationships because of crunch
    People have quit the industry because of crunch
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    People have had mental health illnesses because of crunch People have lost relationships because of crunch People have quit the industry because of crunch

Yeah, but he liked it, so it's fine.
  • Crunch is fucking awful practice, should not be encouraged in any way.

It fits a very western attitude to work though, not just in the games industry. I have worked places where people would share war stories over how late they worked etc. Ultimately it's not worth it and just highlights failings elsewhere in the project.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I didn't mind the article. It's not like the downsides were ignored, and some people do get something out of that pressure, I know I do, and I haven't even done it for anything creative. I slept in a shop I worked in once to finish a night shift and start and early one during a refit. I didn't have to, I chose to. If I knew anyone being pressured to do something that I'd be fuming, if someone tried to pressure me to do that I'd be fuming, even if I worked somewhere where that was simply expected, I'd be annoyed, but the truth is that I love those high pressure situations, I thrive in them, I kind of miss the fact that I don't get faced with them very often any more. It sounds like that guy does too.
  • Me too. If it's occasional and not expected, and at least semi-voluntary, the achievements and sense of teamwork can be great.

Mind you I'm pushing 40 now so fuck that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I didn't mind the article. It's not like the downsides were ignored, and some people do get something out of that pressure, I know I do, and I haven't even done it for anything creative. I slept in a shop I worked in once to finish a night shift and start and early one during a refit. I didn't have to, I chose to. If I knew anyone being pressured to do something that I'd be fuming, if someone tried to pressure me to do that I'd be fuming, even if I worked somewhere where that was simply expected, I'd be annoyed, but the truth is that I love those high pressure situations, I thrive in them, I kind of miss the fact that I don't get faced with them very often any more. It sounds like that guy does too.

Yeah, but what that piece is missing is the pressure and often manipulative ways that people have been forced into crunch - "oh the whole rest of the team is staying tonight, but that's okay, go home to your family." Cmon pal, you know it's not as black and white as being voluntary.
    I work in a job I'd describe as rather high pressure and I know for a fact if I'd asked someone to stay back with me on a late night I'd feel awful .
  • I get the thrill of an all nighter, AN all nighter.
    The problem with crunch in games is that can be 6 months+. Forced.

The damage that does to creativity, helathand family is inexcusable.

My last full time job I spent the last few months finishing anywhere between 1 and 7 hours later than I should have. Never again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Yeah, but what that piece is missing is the pressure and often manipulative ways that people have been forced into crunch - "oh the whole rest of the team is staying tonight, but that's okay, go home to your family." Cmon pal, you know it's not as black and white as being voluntary.
    I work in a job I'd describe as rather high pressure and I know for a fact if I'd asked someone to stay back with me on a late night I'd feel awful .

The pressure is mentioned, and certainly not in a positive way, but I think that the point being made is more that the writer is a particular type of person who does get off on this stuff. There's no end of articles giving the other side of crunch, this is one from a different perspective.
  • Yeah these bollocks counter views usually act as inspiration for dickheads who need more (always need fucking more) work.

All this I've got a work ethic bollocks idealism bulshite needs to be chucked in a fucking bin.

You love crunch? Woop de do keep it to your self, get your bonus and fuck off.
  • Much better way of working.
  • Bill Gates: why write code when you can just buy the shit out of it.
  • The problem with crunch is that people who like their jobs but aren't Live To Work types are being made to feel coerced (either explicitly or through guilt / pressure) into participating in a shitty practice, that has gone unchallenged for too long.

I know some genuine Workaholic types, and they'll never stop working. They convince themselves that they're busy and the world will end if they don't deal with everything as soon as it comes in but, in reality, it's the only thing that they really want to be doing. And that's cool, if it gives them satisfaction- but it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat others with.

The problem for me is not the article, then, but the site that published it. I like and read Polygon - not religiously - but I don't have the intense negative reaction most do to it. However, Polygon (bless them) have never been interested in having a "discussion", which is exactly the line they're trying to use in the comments section now that their own readers are ripping into them. Polygon is the most black-and-white no nuance pls mainstream gaming website out there at the mo, and they would be the first in line to rip into a site that published what they published today, as being irresponsible and callous.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Wait, are you teasing me? Is Sotc remake coming on pc too?

Reginald, answer carefully.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Wait, are you teasing me? Is Sotc remake coming on pc too?

Reginald, answer carefully.

No...

They mean Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let me tell you of Wolfenstein
  • Fucker. Although I saw vids of wolfenstien and it looked fun.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am playing Old Blood atm and it has a gammy opening.
  • So, former Valve writer Marc Laidlaw wrote a synopsis of Half Life 2 Episode 3 on his website.
    Spoiler:

It's made me  realise I no longer care that much about Half Life but the best line is relevant to all of us here.
    Spoiler:

I kid, I kid.
  • Well at least their hat sales are strong.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm not sinister. I'm just misunderstood.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!