General Games News
  • Mate, please elaborate rather than posting one liners then ducking out; are you saying 'nope' to what Blocks said, or 'nope' to buying RDR, or 'nope' to discussing not buying it?

It's a huge release with a lot of controversy around it, it's going to be discussed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Done it see ya.
  • Reg, stop being a prick, eh.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Done it see ya.

Classic.

See ya, chief.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Andy, stop being instant on stuff when I posted a full response less than a minute later.
  • Maybe post that first you sanctimonious little shit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    See ya.
  • I wonder how those Japanese working hours are for all them Nintendo games, eh?

FTR I'm all aboard the don't-force-overtime-or-punish-those-who-don't-do-it train.
  • Lads, just for the record I was only joshing Reg when I typed that. Can't we just all go back to playing Cowboys and Indians?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I discussed it elsewhere with people. It is quite the quandary. There seems to be no way as a consumer you can have a positive impact here because of the way bonuses are earmarked. The fact that opting out harms the people who are already frustrated at the poor workload management that's been dumped on them. It's easy to say you aren't going to buy it because of Rockstar's bad practices, but then you're chipping in to refusing these people a bonus that might in some way make up for their poorly scheduled work.

Also it's only because one of the Houser's bragged that it's been writ so large. The other place I was discussing it had been really sweet on AC: Odyssey, and I thought it was interesting that no one was questioning Ubi's workplace practicies. On Glassdoor, and anecdotally, it seems the devs are well supported, but in-house QA and QC had complained of unpaid overtime being expected and often worked into project plans. 

I liked Chris Thursten's take on it - that people need to remember the plurality behind big games. They aren't made by single monoliths, they're made by lots and lots of people, and we shouldn't be entitled to all of their time. Hopefully the push for unionisation is successful in the industry, because it'll protect workers better than any boycott.
  • Nicely written Templeton
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I wonder how those Japanese working hours are for all them Nintendo games, eh?

FTR I'm all aboard the don't-force-overtime-or-punish-those-who-don't-do-it train.

At Nintendo, pulling an all nighter is known as "Mario Time". Cute.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    But yeah, as I said before, whoever steps into the gaping union void is going to make big bucks. It's bizarre that an industry as big as this isn't already covered.
  • It's all academic in the Matty, which is part of the issue. It'll sell absolute fucking gangbusters, the Housers will likely refuse to change working practices because they'll be drowning in cash. 

When they discussed it on the recent Crate & Crowbar podcast though, they were interested to see that despite checking Reddit for the "worst take" most people were with the devs: they shouldn't be expected to work unpaid like this. I think the culture of entitlement might be slowing in some aspects, but it'll never go away fully because of the way the whole culture around games is built on consumption.
  • A boycott would be absolutely the right thing to do (although I agree it’s academic and I don’t think it would influence whether I bought it). Every other option rewards rockstar and entrenches the practice, affecting more people in the long run.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I only buy games whose production caused such extraordinary human despair that the disc glows with a lurid purple light and emits audible moans of woe, like something from a children's cartoon series.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Unionisation though, that’s the solution. Games produced by non-union devs go on a blacklist (which would probably then be ignored).
  • What's this statue of a goat all about then? Some sort of pre-order bonus?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I might already have one from my tat collection over the years.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Rockstar are especially cagey about working practices. As I understand it their staff have NDAs built into their employment contracts that prevent them from talking about damn near anything to do with work – not just the creative content of the work (which you’d expect), but things like management structures, tools, working hours, etc. All taboo subjects.

That said, folk I know there are happy in their jobs. They just can’t say why.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I wonder how those Japanese working hours are for all them Nintendo games, eh?

I wondered that also. Maybe this RDR2 crunch thing could be a watershed moment for the topic in games industry.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Most devs do crunch time, don’t they? It’s not a good thing, but it’s true.
  • Is crunch a thing in movies/TV? Maybe like, in post-production? Music?

Not being pedantic. Genuinely curious if it's as widespread to the point where its just dealt with as "lol it is what it is".

Also shoutouts to Schrier. His book is fucking great.
  • If this part has been done before here, apologies as I've missed it.
  • Pretty sure our Pez would talk about massive hours leading up to release.

It'll be every creative industry with a deadline.
  • Once again, I'm not saying it doesn't need improving.
  • poprock wrote:
    Most devs do crunch time, don’t they? It’s not a good thing, but it’s true.

In other words, unreasonable behavior bordering on abuse that is only tolerated because of entrenched cultural expectations within an industry? What does that remind me of?

I would be interested to know how much crunch was done on Zelda BOTW for example. Probably same levels as RDR2?

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Construction isn't really all that creative, but mad overtime towards the arse end of a project is definitely a thing. Unions keep it from getting out of hand though.
  • Japanese working culture is a total fucker Stella. Would be surprised if their game design studios are any different. It's well known for being appallingly bad, and it's not really changing all that much despite the 20 odd years of economic decline they've had. Deeply ingrained cultural norms mean that anything less than ridiculous commitment and unhealthy to your work is frowned upon in most instances.
    nick_md wrote:
    Pretty sure our Pez would talk about massive hours leading up to release. It'll be every creative industry with a deadline.

I am pretty sure from when I've spoken to Pez he has mentioned the awfulness of crunch, but in most cases it is well paid. Entirely depends on the studio I guess.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!