General Games News
  • Is crunch a thing in movies/TV? Maybe like, in post-production? Music? Not being pedantic. Genuinely curious if it's as widespread to the point where its just dealt with as "lol it is what it is". Also shoutouts to Schrier. His book is fucking great.
    TV is complicated because the vast majority of technical people are freelancers and not on contracts.
    We frequently work all the hours under the sun because sometimes that's just what it takes to get a live show done if the shit has hit the fan, and the people that go that extra mile are going to get the lion's share of the work in the future because your reputation is everything in this game.
    100 hour weeks? Done plenty of 'em over the years (though thankfully not for some time), and none of them was in a nice warm office either. Never complained about. It's just part of the job when it needs to be, and we love what we do.
    Bear in mind also that we aren't paid overtime or bonuses or anything like that. We're all on daily buy-outs where you work till the job is done. If the phone rings with another job, that's your bonus.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Anime work is also bad, no? Lots of time and effort and very little pay/reward.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Crunch up to deadlines is standard in any creative industry, aye. You should see what publishing can be like … Imagine working on a newspaper, where every day is a crunch day for the next issue. Stress levels through the fucking roof.
  • Yeah my best mate is/has been a grip on big UK productions for TV and he works all hours. Hardly ever see him. But he's in work he loves and provides (a lot) for his young family.

Edit: in response to G.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Crunch is definitely a thing when up against deadlines, the difference with games is that crunch can be factored in as part of meeting those deadlines in the first place.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Crunch is definitely a thing when up against deadlines, the difference with games is that crunch can be factored in as part of meeting those deadlines in the first place.

This is anecdotal ofc but that's never been the case in my experience.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    IIRC filming big budget cinema involves long hours as there's massive overheads associated with keeping the production going so they try and do it within as few days of shooting as possible.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There are various ways you can make a project fit
    - run it longer
    - reduce the quality
    - throw more people at it
    - work harder

The first three reduce profit, short term (paying out more salaries) or long term (reputational damage, blah). So in a tight market I can see why companies take the fourth, sad to say.

There are ways to defend against it, like realistic estimates, producing indie games, demanding less profit, but the industry is kinda fucked IMO - people expect on time games with production standards up the wazoo & ideally in the bargain bucket by Christmas. Something's gotta give somewhere, if it ain't the consumer or the company it's the staff.

No excuse for Rockstar though, cos they're giving minted and people would wait for their output. So I'm basically on team Reg here. But I've really give the extra mile by getting a free copy hence seeing the Dev's output without bulstering their paymasters' bottom line.

FTR I'm in the tech industry. I crunch sometimes, occasionally more than I'm happy with, but it's a small enough company in which I own shares, so you kinda go with the flow and know it's for good reason.
  • Also in second hand tales from Pez, there's also a lot of *fix it in post* bullllllssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit that happens in VFX as parts of movies are reshot, fucking up the schedule late in the day and all the fixing is dumped onto the VFX teams. 

This seems like something that would be avoidable in games, but I suppose a random bug could fuck some shit up for you late in the day. That said, it isn't the first time any of the really big dev houses are making these games and these days there is a big push to reuse engines and assets which should mitigate some of the showstopper bugs coming out of nowhere and even if they can't, they know from experience how much time they go over on each production because of unforeseen issues, so they absolutely can quantify it and plan for it on subsequent projects. 

They just don't, probably because they lack the ability to program in the sequence of work to keep 500 people busy for 12 months, so they just program for 350 people and let them do 18 months work in 12, because hey, at least there won't be any downtime or people sitting around with nothing to do costing the company money. I feel like issues with smooth project delivery are not limited to games or vfx and they apply to any large "creative" undertaking, where the creative vision cannot be overseen by a few individuals and requires a whole group of people to manage. 

Getting people to collaborate and plan to that level is really difficult, the same shit happens in construction all the time on big jobs. Designs are fucked around with until the last second because people can't leave things alone or don't talk to the right people during the design of a particular element, which causes remedial work to start cropping up which starts fucking with your programme because it's effectively unplanned for because people are dumdums. 

I'm with reg tho, not picking this up, not looking for a fight with people who are getting it, this is a horses for courses, pick your consumer battles thing. UNLIKE FALLOUT SHITTY ASS 76 KILL ME NOW OH MY SWEET POST NUCLEAR PRINCE WHAT DID TODD HOWARD DO TO YOU?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Andy wrote:
    Reg, stop being a prick, eh.
    Andy wrote:
    Maybe post that first you sanctimonious little shit.

That's out of order.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reg could have contributed more constructively than one post with unclear content and five saying "cya". Anyone else who does that gets shot done. Not the most constructive language from @andy but I kinda share the sentiment...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    sanctimonious
    /ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/
    adjective DEROGATORY
    making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Shame about the derogatory bit, but...
  • You could take issue with the swears, but the sentiment wasn't out of order, for the reasons Muzz stated.
  • What Nick said. Let's try be a bit kinder to each other.
  • Two wrongs don’t make a right

Not ok hun
    The Forum Herald™
  • Fryface unsure if Muzzy is getting shot done or getting shot done.

• I've still genuinely got no idea what Reg's point was.
  • I don’t think he knows apart from some vague notion of supporting the poor abused rockstar employees.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Speaking of R*/RDR, it's nice to see Eurogamer's review saying it's actually a little worse than I was expecting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m just giving that a read now. So far, it’s not selling me on the game at all. It sounds like they’ve put in just about everything I disliked about San Andreas and added a bit more besides.
  • Bob wrote:
    Not ok hun
    This is really annoying as well BTW.
  • The stuff about having to eat and maintain your weight in RDR2 brings back bad memories of San Andreas.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m just giving that a read now. So far, it’s not selling me on the game at all. It sounds like they’ve put in just about everything I disliked about San Andreas and added a bit more besides.

Yeah, while I'd like to do some horse-based pootling in that world, the eating/drinking/bathing/grooming can do one.
  • JonB wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Not ok hun
    This is really annoying as well BTW.

PM me
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    This seems like something that would be avoidable in games, but I suppose a random bug could fuck some shit up for you late in the day. That said, it isn't the first time any of the really big dev houses are making these games and these days there is a big push to reuse engines and assets which should mitigate some of the showstopper bugs coming out of nowhere and even if they can't, they know from experience how much time they go over on each production because of unforeseen issues, so they absolutely can quantify it and plan for it on subsequent projects.  

They just don't, probably because they lack the ability to program in the sequence of work to keep 500 people busy for 12 months, so they just program for 350 people and let them do 18 months work in 12, because hey, at least there won't be any downtime or people sitting around with nothing to do costing the company money. I feel like issues with smooth project delivery are not limited to games or vfx and they apply to any large "creative" undertaking, where the creative vision cannot be overseen by a few individuals and requires a whole group of people to manage.
    I've been angry with B about this a couple of times. I'm also convinced studios should know by now how to schedule for bugs and unforeseen problems. B insists it's impossible, for example, at his new place, he's a senior tech something. He was tasked with fixing / rewriting something a previous employee had done. No one really knew what was going on in the code, and the person responsible wasn't around anymore to ask. A lot of it had made it's way into other parts of code, so while fixing a problem in the main file could mean another one popped up somewhere else. This might not even be found immediately, depends if anyone was using that little bit of code. There were two weeks scheduled for this, but even B's lead admitted he had no overview of the actual problem and just didn't realize it was gonna take over a month to fix. Now this was around pre production I think, so there was time to fix it, but it was still stressful. 

Re-using engines, that's not completely true. GG wrote a completely new engine for Horizon, and RaD is using their own tech too. Features in engines are often specified for specific genres, so it's not always easy. Using the Frost Engine for Dragon Age (if I remember correctly, would need to have a peak into "blood, sweat and pixels" to confirm) completely killed that game. The team had to do so much hacking, the dice engineers were in a completely different timezone and it was just impossible to get it working for an RPG in stead of FPS.
    Plus the tech is still evolving. If there's an update for Unreal Engine, you need to decide if it's worth it for everyone to update. There might be stuff in the update that would make some parts of development easier, but could also mean a step back in other areas.

Hollywood is probably more stressful than most game companies. One of B's friends at GG went to game development after Hollywood just got too much for him. He didn't want to have the constant possibility of being part of a lay off all the time while working crazy hours. He worked at ILM before leaving for games (which were a disappointment at first, but when settled in after some months he was happy with the change he made) and before that he was working somewhere that had all the lay offs, when there was industry trouble a couple years ago. I forgot what, but he was part of the lay offs then.

Here's an article. Someone asked different devs how they think of people not wanting to buy RDR2 and how they think people could or should react in their opinion.
    It's not written in the best way, but there's a couple of interesting things in there. 

I've never played a Rockstar game, and I won't be buying this. B might buy it, but I asked him to wait for second hand copy's to show up. I rather spend the money on the physical release of Hellblade.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thanks Nina. Good info. It is indeed a nuanced debate.
  • I'm incredibly naive in this (not a coder in the slightest) but I would have assumed from a project management perspective they should have a reasonable estimate of how much unexpected code behaviour adds to a development cycle. Not perfectly, but a reasonable estimate based on similar situations, engine and platform idiosyncracies and team size.

Not planning for that is basically incompetence. However I wonder who pays the price for it? Surely its reasonable to expect that the shit rolls downhill as in any heirarchy.

There really needs to be labour laws to protect the non-management people from being exploited. I tend to agree with Reg, but I'm arguing from ignorance. Fortunately, Nina's opinion from experience is compelling.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They will estimate it and they will plan for it but accurately predicting how long it might take to fix a game breaking bug in the millions of lines of code that make up a video game is pretty difficult. You can only ever take a guess, and a single difficult to reproduce bug could wreck your estimates on its own.

That’s fairly common in all software development, the issue with video games is the pressure to hit a particular release date is so much greater that when this does happen, people don’t want to just delay the release.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!