PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/773790/Ostriv/
    Bought this City Builder nearly 2 years ago because I thought it looked a bit special. It's a one man team, which makes it all the more impressive. 

Coming to Early Access in Q4.
  • Cute little game Ooblets signed up to Epic store for release. 

Developer posts tongue in cheek blogpost explaining their reasoning and pre-empting the response. 

All hell breaks loose.

https://medium.com/@perplamps/regarding-whats-been-happening-3af0f27d863c
  • Whilst all the death threats and other bollocks are clearly way out of line, the announcement may as well have been titled This is a Bad Idea Which Could Only Ever Backfire on Me
  • It's weird how a popular streamer can sign a exclusivity deal and be applauded for it making good business sense/yo bro u get dat paper etc, but if a dev team does it well oh no you guys are just the worst

Longest of sighs.
  • Whilst all the death threats and other bollocks are clearly way out of line, the announcement may as well have been titled This is a Bad Idea Which Could Only Ever Backfire on Me

I read it and thought it was mild as all hell tbh. Absolutely didn't warrant even a fraction of the response it got.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    People got annoyed at this?

https://ooblets.com/2019/07/we-did-the-thing/

Srsly?

That seems like a reasonable explanation to me. No wonder the Gamerz didn’t like it.

• Whenever's there's mass shootings and vidjagames get blamed, and we all figure that "hey, there's nowt wrong with games"... well, there's definitely something rotten in the fanship, that much has been clear since Gamergate.
  • I agree that most of the response was way out of proportion. Partly because a lot of it was from people who never have any intention of buying the game. But they should seriously have read the room. Look at the response everyone who has taken an Epic deal has got.

If they thought this was never going to be read outside their Patreon community, then that's a serious lack of self awareness. They were aware enough to know that Epic exclusivity backlash is a thing, but then wrote that?

To re-iterate, most of the response that it got was not right. But if I worked with the chap I'd have tied him to a chair to prevent his posting it.
  • There’s something rotten amongst angry young (male) people who only ever interact with other angry young (male) people through a screen, regardless of what’s being discussed.
  • But they should seriously have read the room.

Given that the post is on their website, and the people who are likely to be reading that are likely to react reasonably, that seems unfair. It’s also a bit victim-blamey, which is unusual for you.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Cute little game Ooblets signed up to Epic store for release.  Developer posts tongue in cheek blogpost explaining their reasoning and pre-empting the response.  All hell breaks loose. https://medium.com/@perplamps/regarding-whats-been-happening-3af0f27d863c
    I mean, isn't this exactly the sort of 'girly' game that these people aren't supposed to be interested in? What kind of real gamerz are they?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can understand the frustration of having to buy different consoles to play the games you want, but there’s no extra cost to use EGS. The store and launcher just require a free signup. It’s not like having to pay for HBO and Netflix and Hulu to watch all the shows you want, it’s more like just having to press a button on your remote to change between free TV channels.

Just about sums it up for me. Death threats over that seem a tad OTT.
  • The EGS definitely has some issues that mean I can understand why people wouldn't want to use it (even if they don't bother me) but people are so damn entitled.
  • Andy wrote:
    But they should seriously have read the room.
    Given that the post is on their website, and the people who are likely to be reading that are likely to react reasonably, that seems unfair. It’s also a bit victim-blamey, which is unusual for you.

It's in a wider anti-Epic backlash though, so the people reading it are not going to be just their own community. I can totally understand that it might have been written for their own community, but it was never going to be limited to that audience.

In addition to it not being right, it's also not fair. But to me it was a fairly predictable consequence if you've seen how arseholes have reacted to Epic exclusivity in the past. If they hadn't posted anything past "Angry at Epic, us, the world?", I think you'd have had a different reaction.
  • It's a fucking videogame. People need to get a fucking grip.
    What luxury one must live in to be so frustrated by something so meaningless.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t imagine there would have been much difference in the reaction if they had excised a few, mild jokes. Anyone taking offence at those were clearly looking for reasons to be offended.
  • Pre-empting complaints in the initial announcement was unnecessary and a risky move.

But being a bit of a dick doesn’t deserve the sort of punishment he got.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    People got annoyed at this? https://ooblets.com/2019/07/we-did-the-thing/ Srsly?

LivDiv wrote:
    It's a fucking videogame. People need to get a fucking grip. What luxury one must live in to be so frustrated by something so meaningless.

You've seen this board... You honestly surprised? X'D

I only half jest...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I wonder how many of these dumb wits vote republican and their free market ideals.
  • It's not like they actually give a shit about the game though, or it's availability. It's something to lash out at, and because someone made a joke at their expense this time they've really lost their shit over it. A bunch of giant baby snowflakes with nothing but contempt to brighten their days.
  • True.
    It's all very tragic. It is easy to see the bread crumb trail to that cunt in El Paso.
  • djchump wrote:
    Whenever's there's mass shootings and vidjagames get blamed, and we all figure that "hey, there's nowt wrong with games"... well, there's definitely something rotten in the fanship, that much has been clear since Gamergate.

Boom shakala.

I loved the tm after gamers they snuck in.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Andy wrote:
    There’s something rotten amongst angry young (male) people who only ever interact with other angry young (male) people through a screen, regardless of what’s being discussed.

Don't bother with the screen bit.

Tech Fouls in junior basketball tells me they do it face to face too.

Boys techs this season in our state comp: 934.

Girls:88.

Every fucker is angry about some shit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The best take on the whole Epic Game Store shit attitude was made in the, I think, waypoint podcast

It goes a little something like this
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Ten years later
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    Give us Shenmue 3
    we could do with the extra money that epic store is providing!!
    i hope your company, you’re children’s company and their children’s company burn
  • I have a couple of meandering thoughts

a) All marketing is good marketing, right? Maybe he knew exactly what he was doing.
    b) I really like the original post. I thought it was honest, funny and addressed some good points, i think he should be applauded.
    c) Young people are gonna say stupid shit, especially on the internet, i know i did. Yeah, it seems inane to us to be so upset about EGS, but i bet we got embaressingly overly passionate about something at some point in our lives. It doesn't excuse the abuse he is getting, but we should be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking 'it was different in my day, we respected our elders' and all that. Then again, i am technically a Millenial according to some definitions so i guess i am a snowflake too
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    All marketing is good marketing, right?
    This isn't really true, TBF. Poor messaging can kill a product or a brand stone dead. I doubt anyone with half a brain would deliberately piss off a large section of their potential market with this in mind.
  • You’re assuming they’re all young and they definitely aren’t.
  • Tempy wrote:
    You’re assuming they’re all young and they definitely aren’t.

That's very true, i have made a massive assumption there. Sadface if they are older than 17 and behaving like that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    All marketing is good marketing, right?
    This isn't really true, TBF. Poor messaging can kill a product or a brand stone dead. I doubt anyone with half a brain would deliberately piss off a large section of their potential market with this in mind.

Yeah that is kind of a dumb phrase actually. Allow me to re-phrase: I've never heard of this game, now i have! I'm probably within their target market. It would be interesting to see how many of the people going nuts would actually have ever bought the game anyway. Maybe a better statement would be 'It doesn't matter if you anger some people, if you get the attention of the right people.' I mean, look at Politics. I'm not explaining myself well, it's late, i should be asleep!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!