General Games News
  • You’ve got to have rules in life. Otherwise it’s just anarchy and people doing what they want and just having fun with their hobbies and I’m dead against it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Moot having his list locked in during September is utterly criminal though - the exact behaviour i’d expect from a deviant.
    Maybe it's full of games that were released last year...
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m sticking by my own principle. It was released this year, I bought it and played it, loved it, still do, so will be voting for it. Others wanted to vote for it last year, so they did, and due to all the usual moaning which has reared its head again just now, I just counted the votes anyway.

The usual moaning is "but it was released this year on something I own".

Slay the Spire wasn't released on anything in that year.
  • Knowing Moot more like 1999
  • Tempy wrote:
    Moot having his list locked in during September is utterly criminal though - the exact behaviour i’d expect from a deviant.

Ha, not locked but I've currently got an ordered list of nine topped by Supermarket Shriek (obvs).
  • You cant have Supermarket Shriek, someone brainstormed the concept in 2015.
  • I have similar feelings to Tempy regarding all the voting and ranking that goes on here (just any form of listing really, fuck lists), and only occasionally participate to see beyond the walls of the three or so threads I actually frequent.

But srsly, if Slay the Spire is deemed eligible for the second year running it makes this whole exercise a bit of a joke.

And I'll be voting Halo.
  • Halo dark horse here we come.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s looking like Halo is romping home.
  • The whole thing isnt what it used to be anyway.
    Many games arent just what comes out on release now.
    Early access at one end and Games as Service road maps at the other. Plus DLC, extra modes patches and updates.
    Then I am sure less and less of us are buying stuff in launch year partly due to time and money constraints as priorities change but also because of all the services available. GwG, PS+, Epic Store freebies, Humble Bundle etc. There is so much gaming to be had that Day 1 or even Year 1 gaming is no where near as essential for myself and I am sure others.

It ends up with a specific type of gamer voting specific types if games.
  • Hollow Knight got voted two years in a row. By the same person. Guess who?

Hint: he’s a moron and a cunt.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I haven’t even played Hollow Knight.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The best part of GotY is the mini reviews that people do do the games and the justifications they for sticking games in that barely got a showing elsewhere.

I've bought multiple games on the strength of enthusiastic badger recs in GotY threads over the years.  I'm a sucker for passion.
  • Ima vote for Tobe Nwigwe's Tobe from the Swat as my goty, because it's such a good album.

Take that, fuckers.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The best part of GotY is the mini reviews that people do do the games and the justifications they for sticking games in that barely got a showing elsewhere.

I've bought multiple games on the strength of enthusiastic badger recs in GotY threads over the years.  I'm a sucker for passion.

Also this.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Hollow Knight got voted two years in a row. By the same person. Guess who? Hint: he’s a moron and a cunt.

This might be me but I can't remember.  Seems unlikely I would've voted for it on PC, so I'm gonna guess...Muzzy?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Also this.

stupid new phone has me typing like a total idiot, apologies
  • Andy wrote:
    Tell me why it matters.
    Stuff.

The thing is, you’ve explained why you think it should be the case, but not why it matters.

Why does it matter?
  • monkey wrote:
    That makes Dead Cells the 2018 GOTY.

Dead Cells is the 2018 GOTY and that's that.
  • 1. Supermarket Shriek
    2. Untitled Goose Game
    3. FutureGrind
    4. Cadence of Hyrule
    5. The Outer Wilds
    6. Katana Zero
    7. Trials Rising
    8. Blazing Chrome
    9. Mechstermination Force
  • Facewon wrote:
    Ima vote for Tobe Nwigwe's Tobe from the Swat as my goty, because it's such a good album. Take that, fuckers.

This honestly makes as much sense to me.
  • Let's just call it for Tetris now and leave it at that.
  • Andy wrote:
    Tell me why it matters.
    Stuff.
    The thing is, you’ve explained why you think it should be the case, but not why it matters. Why does it matter?
    It doesn't matter. None of it matters.

But some of us like doing a thread where people vote for their favourite games that came out that calendar year, and we've been doing it for a number of years now and that's what it was. Then we thought we were doing it again last year and it turns out we weren't really, because the way it's done was arbitrarily changed, and it was too late to do anything about it.

For those of us who liked the way it was, it's a shame. I'd like to do it the way we did before, and if anyone else wants to do something different they're welcome to. But obviously there's no earth shattering significance either way.
  • Slay the Spire is a pretty unique case because their update schedule was insane. The game was essentially feature complete when they added The Defect, and they felt as much themselves. They updated with minor tweaks and updates - mostly to animations and card graphics - every two weeks, but in 2018 the version of the game you could play was effectively complete. It wasn’t like Hades or Dead Cells where less frequent updates revamped the systems of progress or the mechanics underneath (having played pre-baguette Dead Cells it had a totally different system for managing skill points and weapon perks to what we have now) so it’s very hard to classify a firm release date for it. What I played for 200hrs in 2018 was a game of the year. That felt logical to me, given its status. People will be happy to know that the developers are no longer planning any major updates after they’ve finished the current character.
  • Yeah, fine, but if someone's going to run these things they need to be willing to say no sometimes. It just didn't fit last year, this year it does. And now we'll have a weird situation where last year's winner will presumably be this year's favourite for quite a few people.
  • I understand how you can make an argument that it was as good as released in 2018 and treat it as an exception. I just don't understand how anyone thinks it can then be eligible in 2019. Unless it's just a free-for-all 'Best game that we played in 2019'. In which case the winner is Pulseman on the Megadrive.

Congratulations Pulseman.
  • Everyone knows everyone likes Slay the Spire. Maybe we should declare it to be the definitive best game of the past two years and exclude it from this year's voting.
  • monkey wrote:
    I understand how you can make an argument that it was as good as released in 2018 and treat it as an exception. I just don't understand how anyone thinks it can then be eligible in 2019. Unless it's just a free-for-all 'Best game that we played in 2019'. In which case the winner is Pulseman on the Megadrive.

Congratulations Pulseman.

Its official release date was in 2019.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah, fine, but if someone's going to run these things they need to be willing to say no sometimes. It just didn't fit last year, this year it does. And now we'll have a weird situation where last year's winner will presumably be this year's favourite for quite a few people.

That’s the organisers fault, not my fault for voting for it. If the same people don’t vote for it I don’t see it being a huge issue, but then as i’ve said I think people but too much import in the number something gets rather than why it’s being voted for anyway. For a bit of knockabout fun on a forum I am surprised it rubs people up so fiercely.

If it really matters to a lot of people so much, then it should be ineligible; but the people annoyed should have to play Slay the Spire to atone for their sin.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I understand how you can make an argument that it was as good as released in 2018 and treat it as an exception. I just don't understand how anyone thinks it can then be eligible in 2019. Unless it's just a free-for-all 'Best game that we played in 2019'. In which case the winner is Pulseman on the Megadrive. Congratulations Pulseman.
    Its official release date was in 2019.
    Yeah I understand that. But if you're going by official release dates, then it's not eligible for last year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!