Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    We need to invent time travel, I'd love to go back and show this to the frère Lumière.

Does feel like the 'tuber guessed at 'light blue/grey' for a lot of the clothing.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Made me smile:

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I assume this is fan made. It’s sooo good.

https://youtu.be/ALUSAvGAji4?si=VM4PK8HdUwsZXSZE
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think that guy would have preferred to go about his day without a dickhead sticking a camera in his face
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-AnOsD18K91Q%2FUa9YAs2BGAI%2FAAAAAAAAKdE%2FCWI9dGg1lB0%2Fs1600%2Ffreaks%2B1932%2Bmovie%2Bpic2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=27f954cc05982d5e1826f6944f613a5103cb6745180e6d468e35cf8cf65b87eb&ipo=images
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This is a cool little run of posts isn't it?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Shut up Paul, just point and laugh.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    After spending five years teaching it, I can confirm English is bonkers.

• I know it's quirky but isn't English one of the easiest languages to learn? I'd read that Mandarin is one of the hardest and wondered how easy Mandarin speakers pick up English? Maybe it's just hard to switch between the two because they're so different?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I don't know where it ranks on the easiness scale, but it really trips up my students from time to time. For example, stuff like when to use 'her', 'she', or 'herself' can be quite confusing to a non-native speaker. There's various other things, and yeah, what people find difficult does change depending on what their first language is.

As I said before, five years of teaching it has revealed just how mad a language it is. How mad it is compared to other languages, I don't know (I'm looking at you, German - die, der, or das? How about you just have one word for 'the', eh?) Stuff that I'd never thought of before but had to learn so I could teach it:

- adjective order. (You can say "big red bus", but you can't say "red big bus".)
    - when you can say 'the' (thee) and 'the' (thuh). (The former for emphasis, sure, but 'thee elephant' works in generic speech, but 'thee pheasant' doesn't.)
    - when you can say 'shall'. (You can say "Shall I... ?" but not "Shall you... ?")
    - prepositions of place are quite difficult for a Chinese speaker; a literal translation would give 'above/on the bed', but we'd say 'in bed'. 'The bird is in the tree' takes some time for them to wrap their head around.)
    - spellings in general; English isn't as phonetically consistent as it is in our heads. (Like the video said: compare 'bough of the tree', 'I had a cough', and 'He's eating a doughnut'.)

Bonus challenge. What does this say? (Hint: It's an animal.)

ghoti
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    English is a bitch of a language to learn due to nasty grammar full of irregularities, multiple different words with similar meanings and multiple similar words with different meanings, coming from the myriad of languages that English is bastardised from. Add to this unintelligible or non-existent pronunciation and spelling rules and you have a recipe for disaster. The reason it's maybe easier is that it's the language that most people will come into contact with outside of their native language, due to the prevalence of American film/tv/music etc, and the fact that it's the international language for business (again thank the yanks for that).
  • It's a Frankenstein language, that's why it's difficult.
    It's made up of the languages of all the people who invaded us before we started invading everyone else.

The positive is that outside of the sad act grammar Nazis it's a language where creativity is encouraged. This doesn't help with the learning of it but makes for great literature and other written word art.

The Frankenstein nature of it might make parts easier for certain other language speakers. The French and Germans will find plenty of similarities for example.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It's made up of the languages of all the people who invaded us before we started invading everyone else. The positive is (...) it's a language where creativity is encouraged. This doesn't help with the learning of it but makes for great literature and other written word art.

This.

I think English is the language with the highest number of words, but feel free to fact check me on that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and after it was a Frankenstein language, it was (and still is) a magpie language. Veranda, pyjamas, and zeitgeist have all been yoinked from other tongues.
  • I’ve always thought (as someone who married a non native speaker and has met lots of them from Central Europe) that English is easy to become comprehensible with, and really difficult to master. So: you can quickly communicate your needs and then your wants, but a native speaker (even not trained in grammar etc) will easily be able to tell you aren’t a native speaker cos of all the irregularities and weirdnesses

Other languages I think are harder to get comprehensible with: the rules need to be learned properly, or people really seem to have no idea what you’ve said (whereas in English if you use words out of order, grammatically incorrectly etc most will still understand what you’re saying, my experience of Slovak and French is they’ll look at you quizzically until you remember the gender, the word order, the declinations and conjugations and try again slowly). We just don’t have as many rules which means mastering is v hard

Plus an immense vocabulary. One word is good enough for most languages, we seem to have a dozen words for every thing
  • Like for example the bird is on the tree or I am above the bed: we get what they mean. It just betrays their lack of mastery, doesn’t stop meaningful communication. Easy to learn hard to master
  • Crazy amounts of colloquialisms, slang and other informal language as well, that doesn't always even travel across regions of the UK.

I was chatting to my boss about it the other day, how even when talking to American clients we have to be careful.
  • I still struggle to understand some Glaswegians and I've been here over 20yrs.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    When Sega had their customer service line in Glasgow and I needed to change my Dreamkey password in the Dreamcast era, sometimes I would just have to put down the phone and try again with a different operator.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Related: I was researching stuff about computation, languages and their implications on thinking the other day and there are some invented languages that are designed to be syntactically unambigious -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loglan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban
    https://toaq.net/refgram/introduction/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    One word is good enough for most languages, we seem to have a dozen words for every thing

I tell my students this, that there's not just one word for something, there's probably 50.
  • I enjoyed learning German much more than I did French.
    It's a very literal language.

We have 50 words for many things, they have a single word for everything but that word is just several words shoved together.
  • The gender thing killed French for me.
    My teacher smelt really strongly of Oxo cubes as well. I'm not getting shouted at for misgendering tables by a beef stock goblin.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    We have 50 words for many things, they have a single word for everything but that word is just several words shoved together.

I remember the German word for 'salt and vinegar crisps' almost wrapping completely around the packet.
    LivDiv wrote:
    The gender thing killed French for me.

German is worse for that though, right?
    LivDiv wrote:
    I'm not getting shouted at for misgendering tables by a beef stock goblin.

Genuine chuckle-snort.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think any native speaker of any language will recognise a non-native more or less immediately. English is no easier nor more difficult in this case. One thing I would say about the difficulty of English is that you hear how difficult it is to learn more than other languages because literally billions more people are learning it than any other language. I mean the percentage of native English speakers who can hold a reasonable conversation in another language must be tiny because everyone else is learning English. I also think this means that native English speakers don't really have much grasp of what makes a language difficult to learn.
  • Italian is pretty easy to learn because you just wave your hands around a lot.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or the tried and trusted Brits on the Med method. If people don't understand just say the same thing again, but shouting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!