Star Trek
  • No, it will be terrible.
  • Well, obviously. Star Wars has always been terrible.

Apart from lightsabers. They're cool.
  • Lightsabers were cool until that class full of kids with their babies first lightsabers and Yoda's fucking mongfight with Christopher Lee.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Don't worry, give Lucas enough time and he'll retcon that out. Turn Yoda into something resembling the Incredible Hulk or something.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'ma get my geek on this weekend and start DS9. Never seen it before.
    Get schwifty.
  • First three seasons are not great, but stick with it and you get the best Trek series there is.
  • Yeah I was going to write something similar. Great pilot though.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I found the first few seasons of TNG to be of questionable quality, but I still enjoy them nonetheless. Don't really know why it's taken me so long to get around to it, but I'm looking forward to watching it.
    Get schwifty.
  • DS9 really is dreadful. I wouldn't waste your time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ignore this man. 

TNG is better for my money, but only just.
  • G is full of shit, DS9 is awesome. So much more character development than other series!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It was the best Star Trek at the time easily, but TV as a medium has moved on a lot.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The problem is there is fucking seasons of "Oh, Kira has a new boyfriend!" and if you know what happens later you're all like "Pff, this relationship is NOTHING."
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm probably predisposed to enjoy it. If I can enjoy Voyager I can probably enjoy almost anything. Although I would probably draw the line at Enterprise. I caught a few episodes of that on TV last year and it was shit. And that opening song...fucking hell.
    Get schwifty.
  • You mean THIS?

Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Did he sing on the track used for the show?
  • Indeed he did. Terrible song.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    As if we needed telling, but here's why Star Trek is awesome. Fully willing to point out what's wrong with each series, whilst also picking out the good bits of the "bad" stuff, e.g., praising the fourth (and final) season of Enterprise. Makes me want to go back and finish off Voyager (probably gave up around season 3) and Enterprise (saw the pilot and one random episode with those blue geezers with the antennae).
    Nicholas Meyer, writer and director of the best Star Trek movies, once wrote that “at its absolute worst, Star Trek is a plaid-pants, golf-course Republican version of the future where white men and American values always predominate (despite blatant tokenism), and gunboat diplomacy carries the day.” And perhaps that’s true—when the show was at its worst. But at its best, the Original Series reflected not plaid-pants arrogance but Great Society optimism.

To dismiss Kirk’s multiracial crew as blatant tokenism seems unfair, given that it piloted the Enterprise at a time when legally entrenched segregation was a subject of ongoing political controversy. Nichelle Nichols’ Lieutenant Uhura is a black woman whose name means “freedom” in Swahili and who served as an officer aboard a starship at a time—back on Earth,  I mean—when there were no female astronauts or military officers and black characters on television were more likely to be maids than professionals. Equally striking, given the political context of its era, is Ensign Pavel Chekov, navigator and proud Russian nationalist. The show asked audiences to imagine a seemingly amicable resolution of the Cold War.

More important, perhaps, than these dollops of diversity, is the very nature of Kirk’s five-year mission: “To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.” The line is so famous today as to be a cliché, but it’s striking when you take a second to really think about it. The Federation, which our beloved crew serves, is engaged in something like a cold war with the Klingon Empire. But its premiere starship is not a military vessel and has no sharply defined political agenda. [...]  And though the message of peace, progress, and tolerance may seem corny today, I happen to think those are still good ideas.

This article by the same author, that puts the series and films into 'best to worst' and lists the top ten villains, etc., is also worth a read. Controversially puts TOS as the second "worst" TV series, but let's be honest, he's probably right.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I dunno. It's aged badly in some respects, and the distance between that and the other series can be jarring at times. But at its core, its got some bloody good stories in it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I dunno. It's aged badly in some respects, and the distance between that and the other series can be jarring at times. But at its core, its got some bloody good stories in it.

It is a difficult one to call, given how long ago now it was made. If I randomly find Star Trek on TV, I'll probably watch the TNG/DS9/Voyager without much complaint, but I have to be in the right mood for TOS, if you see what I mean. (Enterprise I'll watch if there's not a hint of time travel in the episode! ;) )
  • I hate when they come back to our time and it's the year that the episode was broadcast. They should always go back to the decade before. I can't tell you what is uniquely 2014 from a historical perspective but I can nail 2004 down to a tattoo and a handset.

Just so everyone knows, DS9 really is one of the better Treks. I'm still waiting for a Garak spinoff prequel, 'Elim' where each episode would be in the format of his official report to the Obsidian Order and may contain up to 65% of the truth.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's amazing how often Star Trek crews end up in 20th/early 21st century America. Just like Doctor Who; all of time and space and around half of his adventures happen in or around 2000-2014 London. ;)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well that's DS9 all over and done with.

Should've listened to g.man.
    Get schwifty.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Did g.man say it was really good?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    DS9 really is dreadful. I wouldn't waste your time.
    Get schwifty.
  • You were warned.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bisexual kardasian tailor says no.
  • Ds9 is noteworthy only because is was the brownest television series ever.
  • I was always told DS9 was worth sticking with because it eventually rewards the viewer for patience in a big way.  Never saw the end, so I didn't listen.  I thought Voyager was good for a fair while though, so there you go.  I've got the soundtrack to the latter on cd somewhere, I liked the theme.
  • First four seasons of Voyager are good, but then it just kept getting worse.

DS9 started a bit ropey, but seasons four through seven are the best TV Trek there is.

TNG is the most consistent in terms of quality.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!