Star Trek
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    As Wil Wheaton says in his Memories of the future  book, it's a surprise TNG got past the first season, because it was objectively TERRIBLE
  • Yeh when roddenberry stopped being so hands on S3 onwards it improved immensely.
  • Re holograms.
    Spoiler:
  • I agree that it should be properly implemented (science fiction, not science fantasy) and this wasn’t. It’s also stupid to bring them in now when it’s set 10 years before a series where tape was still being used to keep records on a spaceship.

I’m still not sure why they did a prequel when they were determined to change so much of it. Unlike the Abrams movies, I can’t even really see there’s a cash incentive. But having made that decision, it would be even more ridiculous if everything was set within the limits of tech that was imagined 50 odd years ago, pre-microchip. A lot of the Enterprise tech can be found in a smartphone now. AR isn’t a million miles from holograms.

I don’t want to keep banging the same drum but there was nothing I saw that required this thing to be set in the ‘past’. Just say the Klingon alliance broke down a century ago, they got ravaged by war and regressed or something and now they’re fighting the federation again. Or better yet, create new enemies and new threats and do whatever you want with the tech. But no it’s more Klingons and shite and Spock’s Dad again and a new previously unmentioned sister for Spock.
  • I really don’t want to be that middle-aged man on the internet raging about an updated version of a beloved kids program. And yet here I am. But it is fine for it not to be targeted at me. Just seems with a few important changes they could have had dweebs like me and the new kids on board at the same time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I suppose an alternative way of looking at it is that the TOS era was always the least coherent anyway, as it look the pilot and first season for the continuity and tech jargon, etc. to settle down. Then TAS comes along and some of the tech is so anachronous compared to TOS that it even gets declared non-canon for a bit. Then tech changes so dramatically in the short time between TOS and the movies that a 'refitted' ship ends up basically being a completely new one.

Star Trek has a slightly undeserved reputation for being a coherent, realistic setting. There's always been an element of space-bollocks about it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There is a strange urge in the franchise as a whole to always go back and explore the galaxy (and fan favourites Klingons and Romulans) again for the first time. It's a bit like comic book films always doing origin stories. They could do a show set after Voyager, but it's a bit more difficult.
  • You have to, because faster than light travel doesn't exist for example.

You're right that TOS is probably the most volatile (warp is hyperdrive in The Cage for example). But as to how it works, they explain it. You mix matter and anti-matter, which cause a fusion reaction that is controlled by dilithium crystals.

This is plausible enough, as we know that the collision of matter and anti-matter releases energy Dilithium is obviously bollocks, though the discovery of a new element is not, so again, it's plausible.

Edit - @ERE
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely dilithium would be a new compound rather than a new element?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Surely dilithium would be a new compound rather than a new element?

Nope, it's an element in the show. Although for some reason they put it in the periodic table in the place of an actual element.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Did you try and start them at the beginning of TNG Season 1? "Daddy, why are you making us watch this racist trash?"

That's exactly what happened in my household.  They got as far as the episode where Space Africans kidnap Tasha Yar to make her their queen, and refused to watch it ever again.
  • I_R wrote:
    There is a strange urge in the franchise as a whole to always go back and explore the galaxy (and fan favourites Klingons and Romulans) again for the first time. It's a bit like comic book films always doing origin stories. They could do a show set after Voyager, but it's a bit more difficult.

We've seen very little of the Klingon or Romulan empires. There are huge swathes of unknown space which you could introduce new enemies from. You could maybe even set a series around the idea of exploring the galactic core, which the idea of a series long arc would fit well.
  • I think Enterprise and Voyager made them very wary of trying to create new races too often. The space Africans example above is a good example of things that they could throw out there and get away with in the original and TNG days, but will see you slaughtered now. If you don't actually cross the line into being offensive, bad concepts or execution will see you ridiculed on social media.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It also exists as a compound: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilithium

It does. That isn't what Dilithium is in Star Trek though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilithium_(Star_Trek)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's still early days yet, lead is good, alien guy not so much. Klingons are well realised for me. I couldn't give a crap about continuity from stuff 50 years ago. I'm willing to see where this goes.

And for once, the set and FX quality is up with the movies, rather than looking like a soap opera set in space.

And as for people banging on about DS9 doing story arcs, it was rip off tosh that Babylon 5 did first, bigger and better, everything part from DS9's budget compares badly to B5.
  • Babylon 5 is a big pile of shite!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Get out
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Hey Bilbo!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You have to, because faster than light travel doesn't exist for example.

Wormholes held open by exotic matter are thought to be far more realistic than teleportation and other ST things. FTL is actually towards the more plausible end, based on the manipulation of space curvature to envelop it around the Enterprise.
  • We can teleport photons from the earth onto space satellites right now. FTL is just theoretical.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Theoretically impossible without curvature, but humans are so complex to teleport from a distance. We'd need new forms of compact data storage, and massively shrunken scopes with radically improved, atomic-level resolution that could be carried by ships. And then you have to account for disturbances between the ship and the surfaces of planets...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched Episode 3. Starting to wish they'd marketed it as a soft reboot as it's just really hard to reconcile this with existing continuity.
  • Seen episode 3 as well. This could so very easily be post Voyager. I love it btw.

Also theme tune is growing on me.
    Spoiler:
  • Discovery is starting to lose me. It's becoming obvious that it just doesn't fit into canon at all, and I've no interest in the Federation waging war.

I'm starting to think this could be a complete turd.
  • Everyone has different tastes, for me personally I think it's fantastic. You can tell Bryan Fuller put in alot of work before he left.

I wasn't sold on the war with the klingons, but right now the episodes can't come soon enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fitting into canon is about the last thing that concerns me with any Star Trek thing ever.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    When people say that, internally I'm like "That's a perfectly valid opinion but I just absolutely do not give a fuck about what you are saying."
  • If you're going to do a star trek show do a fecking trek show and have it part of the history otherwise make a different sci do show from scratch.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There'd be murders if Kylo Ren popped up in Rogue One but then a dodgy Star Trek comes along and all the filthy plebs ooze up out of the woodwork with their 'ooh, don't care, ooh'.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!