Star Trek
  • I love the Discovery design itself. Retro but with the bridge cutout of the saucer. I like when the spunk drive spools up and it contra-rotates as well.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I’m loving the way this is going. Dark Trek pushes my buttons, so I’m happy.

(I’m assuming this thread is spoiler-friendly as long as we’re discussing episodes that have aired. Someone tell me if not and I’ll edit in tags.)

The Captain and Michael are great characters. First Officer Saru is okay, if a bit one-dimensional. A decent foil. They’re doing sod all with the rest of the crew so far though.

The Klingons are ridiculous. Clichéd and simplistic. Make-up and costumes so overwrought that they can’t emote properly. Speech patterns frustratingly slow and stilted. I appreciate that Star Fleet requires an enemy, though – and that enemy needs internal politics of its own. So I’m giving the Klingon clichés a pass.

Spoiler:
  • I've been spoiling any plot points.

Halfway through the latest episode and I'm just...*sigh*. It's just... not very good.
  • I've been spoiling any plot points.

Hmmm … okay. I’ll spoiler tag the bit about Ripper.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The Klingons are ridiculous... Speech patterns frustratingly slow and stilted.

I know no Klingon, but the subtitles fly past so quickly I usually miss a few lines, they may sound slow, but the language must be quite condensed. Why they’ve stuck with them talking Klingon and not just pulled the old WW2 movies trick of switching from German to English in the first few minutes to establish what they’re using is just daft.

Still enjoying it though, we’ve not seen the dark side of the Federation explored this much before and I’ve seen enough of traditional Trek shows to be happy with something new.
    Things can only get better.
  • Probably because they will speak English as well.
  • Ugh.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreeing with Poprock’s points there. Dante stop being a bah humbug and enjoy the ride.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    OUR OPINIONS ARE ALL PRECIOUS AND VALID
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Honestly, I think if this wasn't called Star Trek, it would have been laughed out of the building.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    We can teleport photons from the earth onto space satellites right now. FTL is just theoretical.
    Escape wrote:
    Theoretically impossible without curvature, but humans are so complex to teleport from a distance. We'd need new forms of compact data storage, and massively shrunken scopes with radically improved, atomic-level resolution that could be carried by ships. And then you have to account for disturbances between the ship and the surfaces of planets...

I've remembered a few more teleportation problems...

— Converting us into atoms for matter-stream transportation

To make this easier you could just take a ‘drive image’ of us before killing us, and then replicate. But that's not teleportation. To teleport us, you have to break us up into atoms and then hoover them up across space. The problem here is that the electric fields that both hold and separate our atoms would take enormous energy to tear apart, like say a cluster of our most powerful hydrogen bombs. Beyond atoms, quark-level tearing (for the most accuracy) might be impossible at normal temperatures.

So you'd have to heat someone up to a billion-odd degrees first, and that raises the question of what exactly you're reassembling after firing this Partridge microwave at them. If your image is good then I'd imagine you're okay, but...

— Data integrity and download speed

We lose enough data packets here on Earth between stationary computers, with only limited and/or weather-affected movement along the lines. One bad human packet... And they'd be dealing with wireless, including — if the Enterprise and/or planet were moving, which is highly likely — the Doppler effect. So you'd need a compensator alongside The Greatest Netcode Ever.

But here's the funny bit: at a transfer rate of 1 gigabyte per second, you'd be waiting a couple thousand billion years for your quark-level human to download. Almost a DOOM patch.

I just find it easier to imagine the Enterprise stumbling across the tools for warping spacetime in deep space, and thus unlocking warp. But then again, by the same token they might run into a similar-but-more-advanced civilisation that has a teleporter.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s just space magic.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    About half the reason I watched Voyager was for Jeri Ryan's bodysuits.
  • Escape wrote:
    About half the reason I watched Voyager was for Jeri Ryan's bodysuits.

Genuinely what was the other half?

SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Harry Kim pressing buttons Galaxy Quest-style? It's a been a while.
  • 8e6Fyq

Fucking image links...

tumblr_onnm201xC51w2bygso2_250.gif
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape you’ve just listed a load of practical implementation problems with teleportation. There’s loads you’ve missed - how are you re-assembling humans anyway? There’s marginally fewer problems than with FTL travel by virtue of the fact that it has, at some small level, been accomplished. That was the extent of my point really. Don’t you need a level of energy equivalent to the mass of Jupiter or something to bend space-time for FTL travel for even something as small as a plane?

Both are heavily dependent on mind-boggling levels of advancement across a range of other technologies so it’s a silly conversation really.

God knows why you’ve picked a data transfer speed for teleportation that even a current MacBook Pro can outdo. My last one struggled even on some of the more poorly-optimised, erm, media-oriented sites.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    how are you re-assembling humans anyway?

O'Brien does it.

Don’t you need a level of energy equivalent to the mass of Jupiter or something to bend space-time for FTL travel for even something as small as a plane?

Yeah, the Enterprise creates antimatter in quantities far beyond its natural occurrence in empty space. It's not like nuclear power where we're stockpiling what's there via some technical prodding, and antimatter contains so little energy by itself. The Enterprise might struggle to power some ecobulbs with the amounts currently available, never mind bend space.

The gravitational field of the Sun can bend light by a thousandth of a degree at most, so you'd need some alien graviton tech to voluntarily engage FTL travel as the Enterprise does. But you might, somewhere out in deep space, encounter a temporarily stable wormhole that takes you to a faraway place. Maybe into a nascent inflationary universe that pushes them even farther (more likely destroys the ship).

Both are heavily dependent on mind-boggling levels of advancement across a range of other technologies so it’s a silly conversation really.

It is a silly convo! I'm only saying that I find it easier to imagine stumbling into a wormhole that stays open long enough to survive its passage.

God knows why you’ve picked a data transfer speed for teleportation that even a current MacBook Pro can outdo. My last one struggled even on some of the more poorly-optimised, erm, media-oriented sites.

We could probably push our datarates quite a bit, I used a gigabyte-per-second because it's familiar enough to imagine. Looking at Moore's law, 16MB was a high level of RAM twenty years ago, versus 16GB today. Whereas it took about fifteen years to go from 16K to 16MB. Even at lightspeed, it takes a couple of tenths to receive data from the US, and so on.

In terms of transporting humans, it's clearly faster to drive-image them and send them as bits. Sending them as constituent atoms would take even longer due to mass.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Space travel using magic mushrooms sounding more plausible by the minute.
    Things can only get better.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Where no Nox has gone before.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm no Trekkie but I enjoyed this, watched it last night and it certainly is pretty

Bit annoyed that the Klingons don't speak English, I'd rather not read it if I don't have to, it's hardly a show that demands yuor full and undivided attention, so apart from that (*which is nothing more than fan service) I'm quite happy with it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    When is Q turning up i will start with that episode.
  • Jesus Discovery peaked early, eh?

Really enjoyed the first 3 but episode 4 was a mess. Michael's character is over the place. She was like a different person in this one. 

They Klingon sections have more than a whiff of Dr Who too. The silly prosthetics deprive the actors of the ability to emote, which they desperately need with endless silly made up language.  I'm not sure I can take much more of that.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    endless silly made up language.

Just out of interest, is it like proper Klingon, to appease the geeks - or is it just made-up gibberish?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently there’s an option for Klingon subtitles on Netflix, so I’m pretty sure it’s proper Klingon in the episodes. Be weird if it wasn’t.
  • The fucking meal they make of it, I bloody well hope it’s ‘proper’ Klingon.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It'll be proper Klingon, you can pick up nuances and repeated themes and structure

This means somewhere in a dark corner of the internet, there's a bunch of guys complaining about the klingon actors not inflections and stuff, with others empathising saying it can't be easy acting in a second or third language
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interestingly, while it's proper Klingon on Discovery, it sounds as though a lot of previous TV Trek just used bollocks with the odd word from the Klingon dictionary.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Does this mean that every time they encounter an alien race on this show, they'll have to come up with a whole new alien language?
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!