Comedian Comedy HAHA LOL Thread Thread
  • Disabled mate and prostitute. Mad funniez.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    His story about Noah's Arc too. Man's a ledge. A LEDGE.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    doug stanhope is great.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Yay Stanhope. Watched Burning The Bridge To Nowhere again today. Ridiculous at times. So so so so good.
  • Love Stanhope's bit on Obamanomics from 'Before Turning the Gun on Himself', has me on the floor every time.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Gremill wrote:
    Went to see Eddie Izzard last night. A very few very funny routines swamped by a morass of random unfunny 'surreal' bits. I won't be going to see him again and he should probably give up stand up at this point. Disappointing.
    Looks like he's shifting gears: http://www.timeout.com/london/comedy/eddie-izzard-interview-if-boris-can-do-it-i-feel-i-can-do-it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Quick question:

Watching some Stewart Lee tonight. Seen his later. Which is the best of his other shows? I have them all, pick me one xx
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    goddammitguysimwatchininhalfanhourhelpabrooutyeah
  • They're all AMAZING there isn't a best one
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    THANK YOU.

I'll start with 41st.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stewart Lee is shit. Should spend less time being clever (i.e. patronising) and more time being funny.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow belongs in the comments section of YT.

I'd go chronologically.  Carpet Remnant World is far more rewarding if you know his stuff reasonably well already.

Edit: ah, you've seen CRW it seems.  Ah whatever then.  I like Milder Comedian, it goes from good to brilliant and stays there.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    CRW bored me to death. I understand how comedy works and I don't need it explained, even ironically. I did try to like him but it just didn't work.
  • I feel like it's all been downhill since "Standup Comedian" but that's cause he's a bit samey and he has to work harder because he tends to come off as a bit of a cock.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm wary of defending his work but I do like it a lot, so...

Lee the man is often characterized as a bit of a cock.  He (the 'stage' Lee) is sneering and patronizing, but ultimately he's railing against his lack of success (until now) and the delusion that mainstream comics are stealing his material.  The cocky exterior hides a bitter comedian who has become esoteric and superior in an increasingly vain attempt to mask his anger at being passed over in favour of dreck like McIntyre.  The breakdown at the end of Milder Comedian illustrates his frustration.  But, he's playing a character.  It's not 'him'.  He (stage Lee) loses, every time.  That's the gag.  You all know this though.  He's acknowledged that his play on being unsuccessful is now at an end because he has achieved success, so the next series of Comedy Vehicle should mark an interesting turning point.

@Kow: I think it's a simplification to say he explains comedy in CRW while he's doing it; I think there's more to it than that.  To my mind he's doing two different shows at the same time.  There's the show he wants to do, then there's the show he actually does where he inadvertently delivers the kind of routine he hates.  He notes that he's doing it part way through CRW, but he still gets trapped by it.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting one is wrong to dislike his work as that would be silly.  Nor am I suggesting that you don't 'get it' and are therefore stupid (a favourite pastime of Lee fans on YT and the like, eurgh).  I did however want to express a few thoughts on it.  He strikes me as a deep thinker who tries to communicate ideas in an interesting, novel, self-deprecating and self-aware fashion.  I like the chap.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I understand what he's trying to do and I did make an effort. It's not that I don't get it, it's more that it just doesn't entertain me. I like comedians who are original, clever, insightful, resourceful, etc. But I kind of expect them t make me laugh too and Lee doesn't do that, despite fulfilling some of the other requisites.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I understand what he's trying to do and I did make an effort. It's not that I don't get it, it's more that it just doesn't entertain me. I like comedians who are original, clever, insightful, resourceful, etc. But I kind of expect them t make me laugh too and Lee doesn't do that, despite fulfilling some of the other requisites.
    Yer, I specifically stated that I was not suggesting that you didn't get it, tbc.  I know you get it.  It's also entirely valid that it's not entertaining for you.  I find his work interesting, rewarding (and funny obv.) and like discussing it, but am at pains to distance myself from the elitist, dismissive attitude that seems to plague his fans, hence my repeated clarification.  The name is sadly synonymous with with the words elitist, snob, and liberal twat so I'd hope to avoid any such thing in here.

I've gradually consumed the majority of his back catalogue and, as a result, enjoy what he does more than previously.  He works better (in my opinion) with the benefit of context.  His long form mantra extends beyond each show, but then that's probably true of any considered performer.

I find it difficult to watch other standup (with some exceptions) now, which is the downside.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Anyway, who's work do you fund funny?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I was merely restating that I get what he's doing, not implying that you said I didn't. So there.

Currently I like Louis CK and Tommy Tiernan
  • Mick Foley is now a stand up comedian apparently...

Don't know what his stand up show is like, but he came across as an intelligent, very funny guy in his interview with Richard Herring. Its on the Richard Herrings Edinburgh Fringe Podcast if you're interested. Lots of other great stuff there too.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Aye, Foley seems the only guy other than The Rock who's come away from prowrestling with his shit together.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I was merely restating that I get what he's doing, not implying that you said I didn't. So there. Currently I like Louis CK and Tommy Tiernan
    Good, because I didn't say that... ?

I need to watch more comedians.  I like Munnery, but that is hardly surprising.
  • Stewart Lee calling out his internet critics. :)

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its amazing how that video starts at exactly the same point of the one I uploaded in December:

Thief.
  • Oops, didn't see that. My bad.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not your bad, mate. The uploader thieved my upload of my thieved rip of a thieved DVD. Its outrageous!
  • haha, 21st century thievery.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    hes a right smug cock, and shindig were right about his face.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    hes a right smug cock, and shindig were right about his face.
    I believed we've just covered this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!