Ask the Bear & Badger
  • AJ wrote:
    Turns out that's a fairly accurate answer, watched some video of Skyrim and they're equally jittery. Anyway, came here to ask: has anyone had to get replacement hardware from Game and, if so, what's the quickest way to go about doing it? Don't suppose they'd let me drop it into a store and pick up the replacement immediately?

If its in stock, yes this will be fine.

You saw the addendum that I ordered online?
  • Yes, doesn't matter.
  • Tbh I was just holding the fort waiting for Dante to arrive.
  • Anybody know anything about gardening? 20% ish of my garden waterlogged this winter, killing all the grass. I've turned over, forked, put a bit of sharp sand in and re-seeded. Grass growing but the ground is still getting very soggy even with the slightest bit of rain (at the same time the rest of the grass is fine, not dry but not wet.) This leads me to think grass will never be safe on there. If it can't be grass that's OK but i don't want a boggy/marshy mess. 

I contacted a few professionals they recommended artificial lawn/concrete (then put a shed on top.) However, I don't really get how artificial lawn will help drainage. I understand it won't be damaged by water but surely won't be useful under 2 inches of water. Also, surely concrete will just push the water elsewhere?

I am open to any solution really. Is there a bush/tree/plant that will soak up lots of water? South facing garden about 10m x 6m or something. Live in Aylesbury in the south east, soil is known to be quite clay like. Mid terrace. The 20% is a thin strip down the left hand side. It's really bad right at the end of the garden (left hand side.) Left hand side neighbour recently built a patio at end of his garden, seems like water runs off his garden into mine. At end of garden is a fence, other side of fence is concrete path which probably doesn't help either. I own this path but the right hand side neighbour needs access to his garden via it. I've heard of french drains but i am not sure where the water would go.
  • I dug a drainage channel into mine. It hasn’t cured the issue but it’s definitely better than it was.

Basically you take off a layer of turf, dig out a channel. Put some gravel and an overturned drain pipe in then turf back on top. Can’t even tell it’s there now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Now I’m the man for this such problem.

To actually fully cure it will either be expensive or very labour intensive.

French drains are probably your best bet but with your sub soil being clay, you’re gonna need somewhere to discharge it to. Do you have any fairly easily accessible surface water pipes? That basically drainpipes and those linear grids you see in driveways?

An other option would be planting. This *would* help but may not entirely cure it. Ideally I’d need to see pics of the garden but I could come up with a solution for you. Pm if you’d like.

May not respond straight away but I’ll help you at some point.
  • What you need to do is blow up your neighbours patio.
  • I was thinking a pond or swimming pool would be nicer, but that works.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Now I’m the man for this such problem.

To actually fully cure it will either be expensive or very labour intensive.

French drains are probably your best bet but with your sub soil being clay, you’re gonna need somewhere to discharge it to. Do you have any fairly easily accessible surface water pipes? That basically drainpipes and those linear grids you see in driveways?

An other option would be planting. This *would* help but may not entirely cure it. Ideally I’d need to see pics of the garden but I could come up with a solution for you. Pm if you’d like.

May not respond straight away but I’ll help you at some point.

This reply has made me smile. Good work, uncle.
  • Not an ask, just a moan. Ordered a new fridge freezer, completely forgot about its sitting time before use. 3 hours unplugged then 4 plugged before it can be used.

Fridge food should be ok, its the freezer food thats annoyed me. We have alot of fish and chicken and both our neighbours are out. sigh.

Only plus side is that i am cooking the fish fingers, chips, burgers, pizza in one go to finish off between today and tomorrow. Hope my neighbours get back soon.
  • thank you hodge360, I'll post in the right place in future
  • :) Just wasn't sure if you were aware of them. :)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Now I'm here,
    been playing about with the "net user" command on Windows and have been able to change setting for most users except one whose username is there full name and I can't seem to access it. Is there something magic I need to be doing when there's a first name and surname separated by a space?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Put quotes around it?
  • As AJ said puy quotes around it. Windows command line and powershell don't like spaces. Quotes link first and last name together as one syntax to be executed
  • I'll give it a shot but wouldn't all names need them?
  • Yes they would, its Windows its a bit crappy (coming from a Windows guy).
  • It's the same on Linux, AFAIK; stuff with spaces needs quotes, stuff without can have them but doesn't need them.
  • @Paul the Sparky
    Or anyone else that may know.

Is there a max regulation height for a fuse box in a residential property?
    Would it be insanely expensive to move one up about 30cm?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The recommended height is 1m to the centre for ease of access. Moving it one way or another depends on your meter tails and which direction your feeds are heading, basically if you have length on the feeds you'll be fine, if not then you'll have to rewire the first legs of each circuit which will get messy/expensive. I'd be surprised if you can't get 30cm of length on them though, you should be fine.
  • Cheers mate, I could take it up by that much and still be fine height wise.
    Will have a think.
    I'm trying to mask a bit of boxed in ducting with a skirt dropping down to door height and a picture rail but doesn't quite line up with the fuse box.

Other option is to box it in and make a floor to ceiling cupboard.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm heading to Leeds with my old man and brother in tow tomorrow and due to the Pakistani capitulation in the cricket we have fuck all to do. Now I can find my own mischief to while away a fair few hours, but 12 is taking the piss a bit, anyone have any suggestions? First person who suggests an art gallery gets a poke in the eye.
  • Imperial War Museum
  • Go to The Fenton and get drunk.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Imperial War Museum

Star Wars stuff is always a winner.
  • Well the Imperial War Museum is in London so not sure that's really the best suggestion.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Royal Armouries?
  • Huddersfield!  It's just 20 minutes further on the train and it'll make you appreciate life in the toon!

Leeds is a great city though despite the footy team.  Get yourselves along to Harvey Nic's for some brunch then hit the Northern Monk brewery for some trendy hipster beer in cans.  Royal Armouries is an option as it's pretty central.  True fact: I was once a bouncer in Leeds.  Just two nights and nearly got arrested for unlicensed door-manning.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!