Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Royal Armouries?

That's the one.

C'mon Matt, you can't expect me to google for someone who isn't googling.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why not just sit in a park and get drunk all day, it’s pretty much the same as watching cricket, isn’t it?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Royal Armouries?
    That's the one. C'mon Matt, you can't expect me to google for someone who isn't googling.

This is true.  Here, Sparkles, I hear Disney World is also good.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Royal Armouries?

That's the one.

C'mon Matt, you can't expect me to google for someone who isn't googling.

What makes you think I'm not googling?
  • If I had a day spare in Leeds, I'd probably go to Manchester.
  • My experience of Leeds is pretty much limited to Harehills and don't go there.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    My experience of Leeds is pretty much limited to Harehills and don't go there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Decided to get off in York instead to get our Viking on. Cheers for the recommendations anyway chaps.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ooh, go to House of Trembling Madness.
  • Yep. Or Mr Ps Curious Tavern if you just want food.
    Don't bother with Jorvik, it's just "It's a Small World After All" but with Vikings and the smell of dung... Do the wall walk instead, or just explore all the alleyways and snickets.
  • Is the Evil Eye Lounge still there? I liked that place.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye, was rammed last time I went though so didn't hang about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

Off license? Walked past it twice at least.

tin_robot wrote:
    Yep. Or Mr Ps Curious Tavern if you just want food.
    Don't bother with Jorvik, it's just "It's a Small World After All" but with Vikings and the smell of dung... Do the wall walk instead, or just explore all the alleyways and snickets.

Mr P's is shut, we've already done Jorvik, what the fuck was that smell?

poprock wrote:
    Is the Evil Eye Lounge still there? I liked that place.

Shut.

Good time being had though, we've started to booze a smidge early but should power through.
  • The Jorvik centre drunk would be like a night in Bedford.
  • York’s a nice city. The art gallery’s worth a gander as well, my pals just won some architecture awards for the refurbishment of it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm heading to Leeds with my old man and brother in tow tomorrow and due to the Pakistani capitulation in the cricket we have fuck all to do. Now I can find my own mischief to while away a fair few hours, but 12 is taking the piss a bit, anyone have any suggestions? First person who suggests an art gallery gets a poke in the eye.

poprock wrote:
    York’s a nice city. The art gallery’s worth a gander as well, my pals just won some architecture awards for the refurbishment of it.

giphy.gif
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

No no no. Like several places in York you walk through the off license into or up into the bar.

Have you never Yorked before?

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:

No no no. Like several places in York you walk through the off license into or up into the bar.

Have you never Yorked before?

Yeah, been here for the races and once before that. Spent the time by the river then, so never had the chance to explore until now. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite you withholding vital information about certain establishments. Went to a fair few quaint pubs though, thumbs well up. Fuck Leeds.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tbh I completely forgot it was like that. If you go again, check it out. S'nice drinking establishment with good beers.
  • Anybody know any tricks to get better London restaurant/theatre ticket/hotel prices? Also any good show recommendations! We haven't seen Wicked yet.

Lady Djornson deserves a night just the 2 of us away from the tiny Djornson's with all the associated perks that gives Djornson.
  • laterooms sometimes have good offers, but I've found it a lottery.
  • There's also the tkts booths. Google up tkts
  • Everyone always raves about Book of Mormon but dunno if it's still on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Djornson wrote:
    Anybody know any tricks to get better London restaurant/theatre ticket/hotel prices? Also any good show recommendations! We haven't seen Wicked yet.   Lady Djornson deserves a night just the 2 of us away from the tiny Djornson's with all the associated perks that gives Djornson.

Best trick for theatre tickets is to go to the theatre itself as there are surprisingly often people who've cancelled at the last minute, or if they haven't sold out they will often be prepared to offer you a good seat at a lower price.  (My mother, bless her, is the Queen of haggling with London theatres, but I can never bring myself to do it.)  The only problem with this tactic is that it's risky for shows that are in high demand, so you're likely to get sent away at the door with nothing.  (So trying it with Hamilton/Matilda/Harry Potter is unlikely to work, trying it with say, Young Frankenstein, is likely to saver you some cash.)  If you don't want to take that risk, then use ticket booths or online, but they're not the bargain they once were.

For shows - depends what you want/like.  Book of Mormon is indeed very funny, Wicked is impressive (though I'm not a fan), Hamilton is impossible to get tickets for, and Everybody's Talking About Jamie has been well reviewed (though I've not seen it).  Personally I still think Matilda's probably the best all rounder, and it's been going long enough that tickets are relatively easy to obtain, but I appreciate some people find it a bit of a hard sell.

Also - don't forget about the plays.  They're usually a bit cheaper (fewer cast members).  Of the current crop, I saw Red the other week - it's amazing if you're into Rothko, or extended debates about the nature of art (I am and loved it), but probably tedious otherwise.  I've heard lots of good things about Quiz - about the "coughing Major" Who Wants to Be a Millionaire thing - but also about truth, the media and erm, quizzes, including one for the audience.

No tricks for hotels really, other than- if you see a good deal on Late Rooms/ Last Minute etc, check with the hotel itself, sometimes they will give you the same room for less.  Oh, and this time of year it's possible to book accommodation in University Halls of Residence.  Often much cheaper, and very central (last time I did it, I stayed at LSE, just off Trafalgar Square) - but not remotely romantic I'm afraid.
  • Trying to remember the name of a comedian. I only know him from appearing on panel shows. Wears deliberately awful old fashioned suits and is morose?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Everyone always raves about Book of Mormon but dunno if it's still on.
    Yeh is still on, I went to see it this year. 
    It's ok.
    The first couple of numbers are very good and it's genre breaking (I was hoping for more of this but...) but then it just descends into a musical with slightly raunchy numbers. 

Beware - I despise musicals so...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My 11 y old saw School of Rock yesterday (school trip). Said it was the best thing she'd ever seen. Now granted she's not a professional critic but I bet it's fun.

My wife says to say Strictly Ballroom.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!