Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I wear Doc Marten’s. Super comfy when they’ve been broken in, smart enough for most situations, don’t stink like trainers. I hate trainers, me.
    AJ wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Even compared to trainers?

Yes, only a single trainer wearer I've known has had smellier shoes than the Doc Martens wearers, and he had the most hideous feet I've ever seen.
    Yossarian wrote:
    That’s remarkable, I do own a pair of trainers which I don’t wear often and you can tell from several paces which are smellier, and it’s no way the DMs. I wonder if your friends who favour DMs might just have incredibly smelly feet.

Possibly. Or it might have something to do with the fact you can wash trainers. Do you do the same things in your DMs and trainers? I mean, if you go running in the trainers but only walk in the boots, for example, yours aren't really something to judge this on.

While I've never owned DMs, I used to wear boots and reckon the way they don't breathe as well as trainers, and just collect all the sweat in them, made them smell more.

Anyway, trail shoes are the clear winner here.
  • Page turning like a boss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t run in anything if I can possibly avoid it.
  • Trainers only smell if you have something actually wrong with your feet, don't wear socks or wear the same pair all the time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t run in anything if I can possibly avoid it.

Ah, you're one of those naked midnight runners I've heard about. Never been sure if I respect that or find it creepy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The running’s not creepy, the stopping outside of your house and looking through the windows, on the other hand...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes? What are you doing with that other hand?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Check the bushes tomorrow.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Yeah just black and comfy for walking about 5k a day.

As I can attest after owning a pair and all the pure hunners of people wearing them on the trian to work, get yourself any kind of Asics Gel model that comes in the style you want in all black. 

Here are the Asics Gel Lyte V:
    ASICS-Gel-Lyte-V-Nightshade-Triple-Black-01.jpg

Or if you want real super duper comfort you can get some all black Nike Huarache Run Ultras:
    NIKE-AIR-HUARACHE-RUN-ULTRA-BLACK-BLACK-NKK792B-V4.jpg

or Adidas Ultraboost or 93/17s:
    adidas-ultra-boost-3-0-triple-black-where-to-buy-01.jpg

ipad_cdcb86f531b805433046902a5bd812275a14c2181e510.jpg

I have walked to work in all of them apart from the Ultraboosts as I got the 93/17 instead, all of them in all black as above, no one has ever said shit, worn them to meetings with big ass clients, no one noticed, unless they actually knew about trainers and then they just gave me compliments after they got their necks absolutely broke by how hard they are. 

If you buy a hiking shoe for walking to work you fucking up son, plain and simple. Am prepared to fight all of the people in this thread. You on the commute, you want some comfort, not some indestrucible heavy ass boots that are going to make your legs tired from lugging the weight around.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I walk about 7.5-8.5km a day average. All of the trainers above lasted or look like theyre going to last about a year, my Asics and Huaraches were pretty worn out in the soles after this time, I think my current 93/17s will last a bit better in the sole but the knit upper is probably going to wear more than the uppers on the Asics and the Huarache just because of the material. That said I'm of the opinion that I only have one lower back and one pair of legs and I'll be damned if I'm going to fuck them up because I went walking about everywhere in shoes that offer minimal impact protection.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thing with proper walking shoes is they will keep your feet dry in the winter.
  • AJ wrote:
    Those Nikes will also save you from getting shanked if man catch you on road.

Agree.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thing with proper walking shoes is they will keep your feet dry in the winter.

I've had wet feet probably a handful of times in those shoes walking in rain on the commute. Also repelling spray ftw. Worn them in the winter with warm socks and they were fine. Heatwise, the asics were warmest as they were typical trainer construction, then the 93/17s cos the knit upper is warmer than it looks, the Huaraches were the breeziest but with warm socks was no problemo.
  • Hey, where'd the rest of my post go? I wanted to say they look like something a spaceman from the future would wear.
  • AJ wrote:
    Hey, where'd the rest of my post go? I wanted to say they look like something a spaceman from the future would wear.

Fun fact, the Huarache nearly didnt get made, no one at Nike would back the production run initially because they couldn't get the pre-order numbers they needed for retail. Oh and the shoe design is now 27 years old, which speaks volumes about how good it is really when you consider it still looks forward looking today.
  • I'm not sure forward looking is how I'd describe it. My view of what a future spaceman would wear is heavily influenced by '90s sci-fi. Interesting bit of info, though.
  • I want to hug Roujin. Great post mate. Will hit the shops tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    wow those shoes.

the future is here.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I want to hug Roujin. Great post mate. Will hit the shops tomorrow.

No problem but I recommend only using shops to try on sizes. Usually you can get very good deals online for trainers and sites have sales quite often.

Example, the 93/17s are rrp £150, but they released on black Friday and i got 30% off online instantly. I have also seem them in the current sales on offspring and othat sites for about half price.

Caution using Amazon to get super bargain shoes though as they are probably fakes from a third party seller.
  • Ta. Great advice again.
  • I've got some smart black brown and beige shoes that are perfectly comfortable to wear for 10k trekking around the City and stuff like that.  Instead of buying a pair for walking and a pair to wear at work, why not just get a pair of smart ones that are suitably cushioned for walking?

I have some black slip on shoes that are like walking on air, and a pair of desert shoes that feel like slippers.
  • Do we have any graden landscaping experts on here? My current garden has some decking (10 years old) and grass which is anything but. Its out farm land so weeds grow like crazy. All my neighbours have given up on having lawn and paved their garden. I was thinking of doing the same. I know pics and dimensions help, but questions are, 1) is it worth keeping the decking (the upkeep is annoying) and 2) also how much should getting the decking ripped out and the entire garden slabbed cost? i am gonna get a few quotes soon so i can compare.
  • In before everyone else suggests fake grass.
  • Let it be wild.
    Plant some locally sourced wild flower seeds. Then mow or pave paths through it.

Manicured lawns are for brexiteers.
  • Need something safe for my son when he's able to walk and wants to play in the garden. I did think fake grass maybe an idea, but slabs would remove alot of insects in the garden and we have alot of insects at present due to the weeds.
  • Slabs aren't exactly safe though are they?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And insects aren’t dangerous.
  • I'm with live just plant it up as a meadow, them mow out some areas and paths.

Looks amazing about this time of year. Also minimal fuss and you might attract cool stuff like butterflies, birbs and hedgehogs and all that.
  • Also keep the decking if its in good enough condition maybe it just needs a power wash or a rub down and refinishing but decking is usually minimal maintenance.
  • I'm sort of landscapy but Yourfavouriteuncle may be better positioned as I do more commercial stuff.

Questions: Is your deck flush or raised in comparison to the rest of house/ garden? If all flush it's less of an issue but if raised you may need to import some fill/ incorporate steps which will obviously add to costs.

Is the substructure to your deck in decent condition? Lift a decking board and look for signs of rot. If not rotten replacing the boards is a good way to refresh cheaply. Also look at scaffold boards as an option. They look much better than traditional decking boards but will need stiff brushing every now and again to ensure they don't become slippy.

Depending on the size of your garden it's good to mix up the materials. Flagging it all may sound grand from a maintenance perspective but unless you incorporate some planting it's going to be look pretty barren. Drainage will be an issue too unless you incorporate some areas of soft to drain into.

Grass, it may have been farmland but that doesn't mean you can never have a nice lawn. An easy win would be to dig out 300mm of your lawn infill 150mm with clean stone add a permeable liner on top, then another 150mm of topsoil then turf. Real grass is lovely especially with you having a young un around. Synthetic turf is obviously an option but not a huge fan myself especially the cheaper more plastic looking piles ( tend to look very fake in the sun) plus where do the insects go!)

If it was me Dino I'd redo my lawn and reboard my deck!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!