Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Scout wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    In the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed a few cars with very darkly tinted number plates. I assume they’re legal, is this a new thing? Does it make it harder for dash cams to read or something?
    I've seen these too. Pretty shifty.

Did a cursory google about it, seems  they've been around a while and are probably not legal.  Definitely seems to be more prevalent round these parts recently.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Both the TV and the Xbox will have settings for turning each other on.

Switch has it too, nestled down in the settings.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I’m going to sign up for Virgin Media broadband next week.

Which badger who is already on Virgin wants to do the ‘refer a friend’ thing and get us both £50 credit?

I think you go here, log in, and stick my email address in a box somewhere.

Spoiler:
  • I thiiiiiiiink our Scott just got Virgin. Fire him a text.
  • I will take the bullet for you.
  • It's asking for a contact number, but I'm not sure if it's needed.

Edit - it is for you to get the £50.
    Referral channels: A referral via My Virgin Media or our online Refer a friend site will require your friend to follow the link in the email in order to be eligible for Refer a friend bill credit on their online sale. If your friend's telephone contact details are given via My Virgin Media or via our online Refer a friend site your friend will also qualify for the Refer a friend offer if they sign up when contacted by our Refer a friend team. If your friend signs up via any of our other sales channels (in our stores, via our Online sales site without following email link, etc) you and your friend will NOT be eligible for the offer.
  • Aaaand Dante’s in as the first definite volunteer. 

I’ll DM you.
  • I thiiiiiiiink our Scott just got Virgin. Fire him a text.

Was sky I got.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Garden types, I got a mandarin sapling last summer and all its leaves promptly fell off. I thought it was dead. But just recently it has sprung into life again, and then some. What should I do with it? Do I prune off the shoots at the bottom? Or do I just leave it to its own devices?
    D84gXpZ.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At the very least I'd say it needs a bigger pot. A plant that size is going to need room for its roots. You're best off doing a Google search because all plants are different.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The pot is pretty big, it's weird camera perspective.
  • Fruit usually does better with the leaves on the crown and not up the stem so clear that as a start.  It’s too late to re-pot really so do that at the start of autumn.  Water it and use a bit of citrus feed and you’ll be fine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers, I'll give it a snip so.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I have a Google pixel 3 and after updating Android (beta) when I take pictures with my camera, it is saving them in the photo album as 1970, chronologically. I've checked the phone's date and time and they're right. Anyone know what's happening? Any BttF references are not welcome.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    1970 is often the year that computer system clocks start from when not given another date. Something in the system seems to have reset the clock that is dating the photos and isn’t picking up the correct date from the phone or the interwebs.

Report it to Google and, if it’s really bothering you, uninstall the beta.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye computers count me since 1 Jan 1970. Which will hit the max integer size in 2032 or something. Y2K all over again.

No idea why that bug has manifested tho...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Aye computers count me since 1 Jan 1970. Which will hit the max integer size in 2032 or something. Y2K all over again. No idea why that bug has manifested tho...

Depends on the representation of the integer. 

midnight , 1 Jan 1970 is used by Unix systems - dates are stored as the number of seconds since that date.  This type of representation is called epoch.

Just googled a bit more info and on Unix it doesn't take leap seconds into account (!!!) so your application code needs to manage that if it is significant.

There are plenty of systems that record dates as an epoch - particularly within databases that usually have several options.

Epochs are great because it makes it easier to calculate differences between dates.

Pretty sure their underlying data representation will be sorted before any sort of limit is reached - which will require an OS update some time over the next 20 years. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Doesn't really need an update the data type will already know that it's seconds since 1970 and show you to perform calculations as such. All it means is that a new data type such as DATETIME2032 is created and is rated by all os as DATETIME+MAX(INT) or similar
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup. That's kind of what I meant when I said it will be dealt with by an OS update or similar.

I used to work with a date format that was number of days since 9th August 1948. Was something to do with the date a particular company started. Was software running on DEC-VAX machines using an API called SYSTEL that used indexed sequential files with some RDB style features such as rollback and commit across multiple files. Ran blindingly fast. Would be classed as an online transaction processing system without relational databases.

Obscure - has so far proved google proof .   :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ha....found a link. Had to remember the software house though.

https://www.cbronline.com/news/performance_software_does_its_own_transaction_benchmark_for_systel_sees_wider_uses/

I'd like to think the technology has been ported and embedded within something more modern as it was really good stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Seems this is a common beta issue. I wish I hadn't been so cocky and gone for it. To roll back, it ERASES EVERYTHING so fuck that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone have their ear to the ground re ecstasy tablets?

I may have found one.

Triangular shaped with rounded corners. White. With a pattern of 3 concentric triangles on the front. Nothing on the other side.
  • eat and let us know.  

you'll be fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yikes......
  • Post a pic? There are some resources online that catalogue pills, I vaguely remember.
  • Like this?
    5221_lg.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took a pic with my camera so will post when I get home.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Like this? 5221_lg.jpg

Similar shape but not that pattern. Will post a pic when I get home.
  • You've picked up what is commonly referred to as a "Smint".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!