Ask the Bear & Badger
  • The numbers on a toaster, are they for time or heat?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Usually time, could be heat. Depends on the toaster.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is the result not the same?
  • nick_md wrote:
    The numbers on a toaster, are they for time or heat?

Watched a short video on this the other day after it auto played on YouTube.

Short answer is no, they are random and vary depending on the toaster.
    However some, more expensive toasters might have proper timers.
  • The numbers are for toastedness.
  • The well known unit of measurement.
    :D
  • Usually time. But a vague amount of time, not a specific minute or anything.

(I’ve got a poncey Dualit one and the instructions said theirs are definitely actual minutes.)
  • I have a Dualit toaster. Setting it to 4 does the toast for about two minutes.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Watched a short video on this the other day after it auto played on YouTube. Short answer is no, they are random and vary depending on the toaster. However some, more expensive toasters might have proper timers.

Tom Scott by any chance?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I guess one of you has a life twice as exciting as the other and time is just flying
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @Dante

Yeah it was. Not watched any of his stuff before or since mind.
  • He seemed alright.
  • Ftr I thought heat. We're going to run a scientific test at work and figure this out once and for all.
  • Need to share this with someone so here goes.  My neighbour (Molly) requires home help, which she pays through the fucking nose for every week.  I honestly think even your wildest guesses as to how much she pays would be lower than the actual fee.  She's been bedridden since she came out of hospital earlier in the year.  She's 88, and has no legs below the knees as she lost them in the Sandhurst Road school bombing, 1943.  She's also so awesome writing this sentence has choked me up, hats of to the woman her stiff upper lippedness is off-the-chart ridiculous.  Dunno if anyone remembers but she had £100 stolen from her bag while she was in hospital last year, which I moaned about on here, and she refused to chase it up officially.  I had to go over her head in the end, but nothing came of it anyway.  She absolutely hates rocking the boat with anything.  Anyway, she's had £300 go missing today.  She's supposed to keep it in a cash box, Christ knows why she moved it again, she's cooped up in bed all day and just sort of restlessly moves things around.  She literally can't get out of bed so it can't have gone far, but she said she remembers having it this morning and now it's gone.  It's properly gone too (the cash, not the cash box), I turned her room upside down looking for it this evening.  It's either gone out with the rubbish somehow (it 100% hasn't), or one of her carers has nabbed it.  I try not to point fingers but I'm 95% sure it's the latter, nothing else seems plausible enough to entertain.  She's been in tears, not because of the money but because I've been trying to make her understand that this has to go further than just chalking it up as (another) 'one of those things'.  I didn't/don't know what to do tbh.  Police?  Ring the agency directly?  She didn't even want me to tell her (92yr old) sister because she's had a bathroom leak today and she didn't want to make her day worse.  In the end I rang her sister anyway and she's contacting Molly's solicitor tomorrow and I've requested that she contact me.  I'm not family and I can't bear to force her to do anything.  I also know she'd pay £600 to avoid any sort of official investigation.  What the fuck do I do?
  • Obviously ringing her 92yr old sister definitely sounds like the wrong thing to do, but I keep her in the loop with everything.
  • nick_md wrote:
    On my Delonghi (sp?) toaster it’s time. I know this, because it’s a four slicer, with two dials, which results in different popping times when both pairs are started at the same time.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    What the fuck do I do?
    At the very least, I’d let the agency know. They need to know if they’ve got dishonest staff, because it could be going unnoticed elsewhere, or this incident could narrow down who is responsible if it has been reported with other clients.
  • You're doing the right thing by the sounds of it Moot, fucking tough situation though I get, I know what old folks 'don't want to trouble anyone' can be like. I'd say contact the agency without being accusatory and just informing of the situation, £300 isn't something to be sniffed at. In future can you persuade her to kept her cash somewhere more secure, or even buy a £30 motion detection camera thing? I got one of those once for reasons I won't go into, and it came up trumps.
  • The numbers are for toastedness, the higher the number the more toasted the toast. My toaster (a white one) takes longer when you make the first batch in the morning then the second because its warmed up and the toasting efficiency has increased.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually, a similar question - is the number on the dial in the fridge the temperature or the level of intensity of the cold (ie higher number equals colder)?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    The numbers are for toastedness, the higher the number the more toasted the toast. My toaster (a white one) takes longer when you make the first batch in the morning then the second because its warmed up and the toasting efficiency has increased.

I'm uncomfortable with "toasteder", or at least this phrasing which sounds like the "more toasty the toast". A single slab of carbon is not more like toast than a slice of bread, toast is a happy medium between the two

Sorry Moot, sucks to be stuck with that, wanting to help but never quite knowing where your boundaries lie, and of you're causing more upset by trying to protect. You're doing the right thing, camera isn't a bad idea, and before anyone shouts about DPA or GDPR it must be remembered that laws to protect private citizens should not be invoked by corporate entities. These people are acting on the behalf of businesses and therefore are not private citizens going about private business
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My toaster’s old school. The timer is an actual mechanical timer. Don’t plug the toaster in and the timer still works just the same.

Moot, I second what Andy said: Call the agency and let them know. £300 has gone missing from their client’s bedside and you suspect their staff.
  • I'll do it tonight if her solicitor doesn't get there first, the telephone number's on the book they sign in on (and write bollocks about how long they stayed and what they did).  I get on with most of them in a 'they're alright' kind of way, but they all take the piss.  It's supposed to be double handed care but more often than not only one turns up at a time.  Molly's convinced if she complains they'll start to treat her like shit.  One of them told her they couldn't see her TV remote under the bed a couple of months ago, when it was the only thing under the bed, they obviously couldn't be bothered to crawl under and get it.  So I'd say that counts as treating her like shit anyway.  I don't want her to feel like she can't trust me, it's not like she's got anyone else.  But yeah, enough's enough.  She knows she needs to go into a care home but she's like limpet and she loves her independence/being in her own place.
  • Yer a good man, Moot.
  • She's been good to me since I was a kid.  Worked in the hospice my mum was in.  

https://www.spokenhistories.com/

Snippet of an audio interview she gave (before she started to refuse to do any as she was fed up with her words being twisted for extra pathos).
  • Don’t tell anyone. Put more money in the tin and film it when the agency person is next in. If you don’t catch them doing it, nothing will happen.
  • That was my wife's suggestion too.  If she kept it in the tin I don't think there would've been a problem.  She's supposed to keep the key to the tin in her bag and the tin next to her, so even if she dozes off there's limited scope for a swipe, but she was fiddling about with it and remembers having it in the open zip compartment of her bag.  The point stands though, a camera would pick it up regardless.  I'd be tempted to do a set-up, but then I'd be tempted to drown the culprit in the sink.
  • You're a good man Moot. What sort of heinous cunt do you have to be to be stealing from an elderly bedridden woman?

makes me fucking sick

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's a shit industry from what I have heard from two of my neighbours who worked as carers.

One was hired without a driver's license but the travel windows he was scheduled weren't possible by bike or public transport. No miles expenses either btw. His rota constantly changed, which to me seemed odd as surely people need care on a schedule. He couldn't build a relationship with any clients either because of the rota swapping.

The other neighbour told me she was given half an hour per client where they would have to help them to the toilet and feed them. If they dont need the loo in that half hour window, tough. No time to spend talking to them. She was also asked to go to dodgy housing estates and blocks of flats at night on her own.

Two man lifts were never done as such, always one person struggling.

Minimum wage based on their rota do that extra travelling time becomes unpaid overtime.

The industry pretty much forces out the good ones, the ones that care while making clients just another job. Cattle to feed and muck out, not people to care for. So the majority of people left doing it are desperate or uncaring.

It is a cunt thing to do stealing from the elderly but the situation is created by these private care companies. That person may well have stolen it to go on a binge weekend with the lads. Just as easily could have stolen it for rent because their shit cunt employerer takes the piss.
    The real crooks are the people sitting on the boards of these companies. They rob the elderly monthly by Direct Debit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!