Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I mean, no, I'm not - I just recognise the frustration of trying to find a worthwhile savings mechanism for my limited funds, and am fairly confident in the fruits of my research. In my experience and view, there is nothing to be wary of, and it absolutely supports the idea of infrequent irregular savings

I knew you weren't, just joshing with you.
  • How can you have less in an ISA than when you put it in? That's not possible.

Sorry yeah cash ISAs should be immune from that. But more meagre in their returns. You can also get caught up in withdrawal fees etc.

You’re losing money in anything unless you’re beating inflation which I doubt any of these things are doing at the moment.
  • *sighs loudly*

*possibly adds a "harrumph"*
  • Heh. Yeah that generalisation doesn’t apply to ratesetter which I know fuck all about.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I mean, no, I'm not - I just recognise the frustration of trying to find a worthwhile savings mechanism for my limited funds, and am fairly confident in the fruits of my research. In my experience and view, there is nothing to be wary of, and it absolutely supports the idea of infrequent irregular savings.

there doesn't seem to be anything to feel guilty about. Most people look at savings accounts / ISAs and go "what's the point of that?" when they offer 1% APR at best. The other options, mainly investment funds, are absolutely not for short term liquidity, and everything else looks like a scam.

As usual the apparent complexity is masking simplicity
    Tempy, put a third of your money in this, a third in an ISA. Leave a third for contingencies. Review after 3-6 months.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Ah.
    Seems currently savings accounts may be better than ISAs right now for low amounts that aren't taxable.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p084p8fj
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have a current account that pays 5% as long as you pay £1000 into it each month. I just use it as a savings account. 1000 in on the day I get paid, 1000 out the next day. Then I just top it up with whatever I can spare each month for savings.
  • That's smart hacking, nice
  • Wait from whom is this available? Only one I can find is Nationwide, 5% limited to one year only and £2,500
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's the one, my wife has one too.
  • Nationwide gave me an extra year on that for some reason, but I'm back to peasant rates now.
  • While we’re on the subject, it’s potentially worth doing some bank account switch whoring to get a bit of a cash boost. E.g:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/switch-bank-account-3405382

Always read the small print or check out threads/guides on HUKD/MSE to make sure you don’t get charged or anything like that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • We swap bank accounts every year. It's easy with the Switch thing, and between us it's £200-£350 cash.
  • Looking for some banking advice. I'm about to put out an app with a couple of friends and we're looking into opening a business/joint account. Just wondering if anyone has done similar and might have any recommendations. A bit overwhelmed with the options.
  • Starling’s business account. If you’ve set up a limited company, you can set up a Starling account very quickly for free. Each person with significant control over the business can access the shared account. Transactions are free which is very rare in the business account world. You get a debit card if you need one. You can also set up accounts in euros and dollars if you go international.
  • Cheers Funk. Starling came up in my search as a good shout. Won business bank of the year 2019 I believe.
  • I've been using them for over a year, and have been so impressed I've moved my personal banking to them as well (and recycle high st accounts for £bonuses).

Are you going to be trading as a ltd company? It would probably make your accounting a lot easier, depending on a few factors.
  • I don't' know anything about the whole limited company thing to be honest. Is it a simple and hassle-free process? We've basically made a digital kids book for iPad and we're about to release it. All this banking/company stuff has crept up on us.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    personally I think the only real benefit of registering is if you get a VAT rebate. For example as a contracter I could charge VAT on my time at 20%, yet being as I was a developer for the first two years I only paid VAT at 12% which basically meant I could claim that 8% difference back on anything I bought to help the business along with standard allowances. If you;re at the point where the app is out and about to make money, it seems madness to register, as your spending has finished
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This article covers a lot of ground - it seems pretty up to date. I personally (this is not financial advice! get a professional for that!! :))  would not bother with setting up a limited company for one book as you see how it goes, and that seems to be the advice of the article:

https://www.theaccountancy.co.uk/news-articles/do-i-need-to-pay-tax-on-my-hobby-side-business-13671.html

The short of it is: if the book earns each of you less than or up to £1,000 in a tax year, then you don't have to declare it or worry about it at all.

If you start to earn more than that, you'll want to consider setting up a business. As there are more than one of you, this should probably be a limited company with multiple shareholders.

Setting up a company and running it is not rocket science, but it does take attention and time and will cost you quite a bit in accountancy fees. I'd only set it up if this looks like a real goer with significant revenue potential.

Setting up a separate account to log the book's revenue is a good idea, and allows you to keep the transactions separate (and thus more easily calculate possible personal tax liabilities), but setting up a business account won't be possible without a company registration number.
  • Thanks for the great advice and info chaps. Very useful and have passed on to the team.
  • This thread is lively! The good lady and I are looking to get a fucking mortgage. It's all a bit frightening. We're on the way to possibly having a some kind of a deposit and would like some tips on what the hell to actually do. She has more of an idea than me and says we probably have between 5 and 10% on a mortgage round here and a house value of around £250,000.

Apart from that I know very little. I'm aware of other costs involved - mortgage advisors, surveys etc and the different schemes help to buy, buy to let blah blah. I know very little.

TLDR, has anyone bought a house recently? Any tips?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    However tempting it is , do not scrimp on the survey.

And be patient. It is really easy to get carried away - esp. after a first viewing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Try and have as little a loan to value (what you're borrowing vs the value of the property, essentially as big a deposit as you can) as possible. You will likely get a better interest rate that way.

Also, leave room for contingencies in the monthly repayments. If you go for the max you can afford then any unplanned expenses or drops in income will hit hard. That also allows you to make overpayments (depending on your mortgage) when you're flush, which can knock thousands off the cost of your mortgage over 25 or 30 years.
  • Get an independent mortgage advisor to help you. Most estate agents have one in-house (but they’re still independent). At the same time, talk to your own bank’s mortgage advisor, because existing customers usually get the opportunity of better deals – you’re likely to get a better deal from them than your independent guy gets offered.
  • I guess you have used the online calculators that most banks have on their sites. If not that is your first stop to see an estimate of what you can borrow based on your combined salaries and any outstanding debts like loans.

At that point you can look around at sites like Right Move.

Eventually you will want to speak to a mortgage advisor/broker. I recommend trying to speak to someone not tied to a bank as they will be able to look at a broader range of mortgages for you and get the best deal.
    Most estate agents will have an advisor and will likely hassle you to speak to their advisor before they listen to offers on properties. In fact they will want you to have an agreement in principle before you make offers.

An agreement in principle is just that. You have passed the basic tests and the bank will sign on for a certain mortgage providing your circumstances dont dramatically change. These normally last 3- 6 months.

I would try to book in with an advisor first.

In the mean time you should look to get your accounts in order.
    They will do an affordability test based on 3 months bank statements so try to make them look good. Try not to have lots of little transactions like lunches or rounds in the pub.
    Pay off any debt you can without dipping into your deposit.
    They will also want to see proof of deposit, so a bank statement from where ever that is stored (ISA, savings account etc)
    They will also do a credit check. Not much you can do here but worth knowing.
    They may ask you to take certain insurances as well, certainly property insurance but sometimes loss of work insurance depending on circumstances.

In terms of mortgage type you have repayment or interest only. Repayment means you aim to pay off the debt. Interest only is just that, you only ever pay the interest on the mortgage. I believe interest only needs to be secured against something else, it's also expensive and not really what you want.
    So you will be on a repayment mortgage.

From there you have fixed rate or tracker mortgages. Trackers follow the bank's variable interest rate, you dont want that as it is always more.
    Fixed rate sets the interest rate for a certain term, normally 2 years but can be more. At the end of that period you either switch to another fixed term or automatically move to the bank's tracker rate.

Once your mortgage offer is made, then you browse properties, make an offer, have it accepted it is solicitor time. You can source your own or estate agents can recommend one they partner with. Your solicitor should then handle most things between you, the seller's solicitor, the bank and the estate agent, although you may need to kick them up the arse now and again. During that period you may be asked for fees for certain things and at the end you will get a bill and wonder how standardised paperwork costs a couple of grand.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say narrow down the area and the criteria for what you want so you have to see as few places as possible. If you're working etc then it's a pain in the hole having to go and see houses, especially as you'll need a few viewings on anything you're interested in. 

Check things like boilers and so forth actually work, radiators are in good order, wardrobe doors open and close, skirting boards aren't just propped against the wall, windows open and close, things that have locks have the keys etc etc. There are a lot of little things you won't notice until you move in, unfortunately.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh about mortgages, sorry. Dunno, different country and all that. I got a fixed rate for the life of the mortgage, so the monthly payment never changes at all. Not sure how available that is elsewhere though.
  • Turn the shower on. I always do this and people think it is weird but I'm not gonna spend 6 figures to have a dribble for a shower every day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!