@cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    @Cocko
    I have that problem with Visualiser/Visualizer all the time.

Color is creeping in as well for practical reasons. I imagine for coders its an inevitability that Americanisms become norm.

Haha, true enough, remember spending ages trying to debug my first proper piece of VB years ago, only to find it was because I used Initialise instead of Initialize

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I kind of hate that Americanisations are filtering into all of us, just purely aesthetically I much prefer British English spelling for words. I don't run a spellchecker any more but I always hated that it would always highlight properly spelled words, like US English is the default for so many things and it feels like it's forced upon us sometimes. Not sure if Firefox is still like this but I remember struggling and giving up trying to get the language to change from US for spellchecking, really annoying.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aren’t those set at a system level?

On a Mac you get the option for British English when setting up your computer and everything (aside from Word back in the day, not sure if that’s changed), respects that setting.
  • Yeah I think with Windows many programs have their own settings, or they used to at least.
  • Windows doesn't force everything, but there is a preferred languages setting in there and any apps or websites that have those language options will use those. 

Couldn't say off the top of my head how good it is at enforcing it though, because I feel like I've seen chrome spell checking stuff as though it was US sometimes.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • As someone currently struggling to explain to his kids why the fuck, exactly, English words are spelled so ridiculously, I absolutely am converting to the often more phonetic US spelling styles. trying to spell shit like we're half in the Middle Ages is beginning to make me believe we're as dumb about spelling as we are about imperial measurements.

It doesn't help that they're half Slovak, which is a very phonetic written language. "Why isn't it as easy as Slovak daddy" "fuck knows. conservatives are cunts"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tricky to have phonetic spellings when English regional accents vary so wildly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Tricky to have phonetic spellings when English regional accents vary so wildly.

I'm not sure: When you are learning to spell and read using phonemes, as all state primary kids currently do here, the dialects are less pronounced. E sounds like "eh" when you're being taught, for everyone, as far as I can tell.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That all would have come a lot later than spellings being settled on.
  • I reckon I pronounce the 'u' in colour, it's very subtle but it's there. Color looks like it should sound 'collar'.

I always will never be happy saying 'airplane', sounds like something a toddler would say whilst pointing at one. Aeroplane all the way for me.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    It doesn't help that they're half Slovak, which is a very phonetic written language. "Why isn't it as easy as Slovak daddy" "fuck knows. conservatives are cunts"

Because we’re not lazy and if something is worth conveying it should take effort. Simple languages are for simple minds.

There’s your answer. You’re welcome.
  • "Not lazy" to modernise an ancient language in a way that makes sense, and helps our children with literacy, and probably helps children with dyslexia - reducing attainment gaps and educational / life outcomes?

Keep your unwanted welcomes sir!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    "Not lazy" to modernise an ancient language in a way that makes sense, and helps our children with literacy, and probably helps children with dyslexia - reducing attainment gaps and educational / life outcomes? Keep your unwanted welcomes sir!

I bet you don't even send them up t'chimneys or down t'mill.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Because we’re not lazy and if something is worth conveying it should take effort. Simple languages are for simple minds. There’s your answer. You’re welcome.

I mean - English is a wonderfully expressive language due to the incredible amount of word stealing it's done, its adaptability, the sheer weight of words we have. You can put as much effort as you like into expressing yourself with a vast vocabulary, incredible idioms, elegant expressions, perfect puns, asinine analogies. But putting that effort into actual spelling just seems backwards to me
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If your language is phonetic you learn to spell by listening, if it's English you learn to spell by reading

Ergo facto English makes you a better academic
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I can't shake the feeling that the US English way of spelling some words seems kind of childish, like they got it wrong once and no one corrected them.

I think there's something important about the extra letter or two in our words, I think there is something subtle about the difference in pronunciation of those syllables, and having it spelled as such is a better representation of our speech. Also our history and etymology is encoded in our words, and I think we should try and preserve some of that -
    RPh8LMS.png

Also I don't think there's anything meaningful to be gained from trying to reduce the complexity of our language, it's really not that hard to learn correct spellings and type out an extra letter or two..
  • you got kids? you remote schooling them now? if not jog on
  • I mean you do know that the French long stopped spelling colour like that, right? because they moved on? but that doesn't mean that etymologists can still trace the history and spunk on middle englishisms does it

what is meaningful about stupid spellings of words? what possible benefit do we get out of Knight, Night, "I" mean "IGH" spelling I mean what is even that? the meaning comes from the sheer number of words and the various ways you can put them together, inspired by a rich and varied and vulture-like culture
  • My understanding of it was that back in the days when America was formed English used multiple spellings for some words, as one might expect from a language made of other languages which themselves often have similar words.

The division between English and American was decided when Webster wrote his dictionary. That defined what Americans would use while England carried on pissing around until print and the ability became common place.
  • also just for avoidance of doubt I don't really actually care about this and am just wasting time instead of paying attention to this endless zoom call and no offence meant etc
  • but trying to explain to bewildered children the "subtleties" and "meaningfulness" of our spelling is an exercise in frustration. back to the main point: pay teachers more damnit
  • It's really just a point of aesthetics for me I think, I like the way our words look somehow. I'm not mega invested either way, but I will be spelling it 'honour' until the end of my time.
  • if you keep defending poor innocent tories that time may come sooner than you think
  • English spelling is just a mash up of all the times us brits got our shit pushed in by everyone that used to come over here and wreck us up big stylee in the middle ages. It's like a big list of historical defeats inflicted by horrible johnny foreigner ever time you write something down. 

We got all the extra U's next to O's in them words cos the french kicked the fuck out of us, we got all those hard SK sounds like skull, sky, etc. from the vikings after they came over and just occupied the north for free. 

Thank god that since I do the majority of communication these days by spamming the grimacing face emoji, twitch emotes or various pastas, I have truly transcended the language barrier of the world. I don't need to know how to tell people I am feeling sad if I get stuck somewhere remote, I will just say biblethump until help appears and I get a hug.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Didn’t intend for actual discussion to happen, was just EZ Bantz. My apologies.
  • Jebaited by Cinty. Kappa.
  • Why do you hate Britain Funk?
  • Why doesn't everyone

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!