• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Keep us posted.
  • I play poker, predominantly cash games (as opposed to tournaments) at micro stakes (£0.01/£0.02). 

Used to play mainly on Sky but recently my favourite site is PKR.

My lifetime (8 years ish) profit from small stakes tournaments on Sky is ~£780 from occasional play, according to Sharkscope.

I'd class my level of skill as "above average" in the sense that you technically have to be better than average in order to make a consistent profit even at the very lowest levels. But also, I'm still very much a basic poker player who tends not to vary much from "standard poker".

I also have a friend who is a professional poker player. We quite often discuss interesting hands. I would be nowhere near as good at poker if it wasn't for him. I am still a vastly inferior player to him - some of his thought processes about particular hands just blow my mind. He's been to Vegas for several weeks in the summer for most of the last few years.

I'd love to chat more about poker with you guys. It's one of my favourite subjects.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBH, I've barely played recently. I don't like the online stuff and haven't found myself a room full of people to play against for a while.

I would like to get better at working out odds. I kind of guess at them, but could do with getting a few mental shortcuts in place so I can get there a bit quicker.
  • I can definitely help there.

Disclaimer: I may be mistaken in the following, I should probably double check at some point.

Off the top of my head:

1) The % probability of hitting an out on a later street is roughly 4 * the number of outs on the flop, and 2 * number of outs on the turn. So if you had 8 outs on the flop (e.g. an open-ended straight draw), your probability to hit is approx 32% by the river.

2) Preflop, you are almost always at least 30% to win against any ONE opponent. The main exception is when you are dominated (e.g. You have A9, your opponent has AJ) - in which case you are probably only 20% or worse.
  • I recommend this book. It's well written and clearly explains all of the basics for cash game poker. This was my first ever poker book.

If you read and apply the lessons from this book, you'll already be better than the vast majority of low stakes players.

Tournaments are basically like cash games but with a whole set of extra considerations on top.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I need to reread this when I'm awake enough to process this information.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!