Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Last episode of the series for The Good Place is disappointing and doesn't bode well.
    if you're on series 1, you're wrong...if you're on series 2..SPOILERS! ;)

Baffling either way.  But if he didn’t enjoy the end of season one then he doesn’t deserve the brilliantly inventive season two.
    Get schwifty.
  • Well this doesn't sound all bad, will give it a shot since I like the sound of it:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/01/altered-carbon-review-ambitious-netflix-sci-fi-is-flashy-flawed-and-fun
    impressive step up from what we’re usually offered

If it is shit I might just let it play in the background to encourage more sci fi.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Final episode of series 2 of Good Place was great I thought.
    Spoiler:
  • As for where Good Place might go next...
    Spoiler:
  • It was the end of season two I was taking about. It felt conceptually lazy and designed to turn things into an ever ongoing thing without a larger overreaching story arc that actually goes anywhere. It wasn't bad in itself but, if things continue on the apparent trajectory too long, I could get fed up with it fairly quickly.
  • AJ wrote:
    It was the end of season two I was taking about. It felt conceptually lazy and designed to turn things into an ever ongoing thing without a larger overreaching story arc that actually goes anywhere. It wasn't bad in itself but, if things continue on the apparent trajectory too long, I could get fed up with it fairly quickly.

My whole reply’s a spoiler...
    Spoiler:
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Well this doesn't sound all bad, will give it a shot since I like the sound of it: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/01/altered-carbon-review-ambitious-netflix-sci-fi-is-flashy-flawed-and-fun
    impressive step up from what we’re usually offered
    If it is shit I might just let it play in the background to encourage more sci fi.
    Watched two episodes. Not bad, at the end of the day its a murder mystery but it's fairly close to what I can remember of the book... Which was a sci fi murder mystery.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • tin_robot wrote:
    My whole reply’s a spoiler...
    [...]

Totally might not be going the way I worry about, true, but that's what my gut's telling me is going on. I'll certainly watch more with the hope that it's wrong, but the seven season contacts suggest that my initial hope that they'd written a self-contained tale isn't the case.
  • I’m enjoying Altered Carbon so far. It’s a hot mess of cyberpunk and detective noir clichés, which works just fine for an extended B-movie.

It’s a bit obsessed with objectification of women, but so are all of its influences. Still feels a bit awkward in places though.
  • Just wrapping up my second run of Breaking Bad.

First watch I found there to be a dip around season 3. Second time round I quite enjoyed these more low key runs.
    I don't think some of the later stuff holds up as well, what made the show unique gets lost in the inevitable increase of pace and drama. Time for long B roll shots is lost, tension is dropped in favour of rolling drama. It makes sense and totally fits the story but I prefer the earlier episodes over all.
    A good comparison is how quickly Gus is killed compared to Crazy 8. Again it fits Walt's arc so not a criticism at all but I found the tension of Walt's first kill to be more impactful.

Still an absolutely brilliant show, one of the best and may never be truly topped, it happened just as, and was a reason for the second coming of TV. Too many focus groups for something like BrBd now.
  • Oh, forgot I had a second watch recently. I felt quality dropped early in season two and, while it started to pick up again near the end of its run, never quite recovered.

Should write more, but I'm about to fall asleep.
  • Whilst I enjoyed BrBad, I think it’s massively over-rated. It creaks all over the place and as the series go on it increasingly becomes a pastiche of what it originally was. I think a fair bit of its cultural cache comes from being one of the programmes that ushered in the era of binge watching through non-traditional sources and the visual hit of “alright, well I’ll stay up for one more episide, then.”. Plus it does manage to maintain a constant dramatic tension, which most shows can’t.
  • I’ve never managed to get much further than early season 2.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show ever. Watched through it three times.
  • Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show ever. Watched through it three times.

Im on my 4th time thru.
    1st was by myself.

2nd with my now girlfriend who hadn't seen it.

3rd with my cousin who were borrowing my spare room and had never seen it.
    (moved on but came back just to watch the last few episodes)

4th with my mate who comes round daily and usually games with me but iv not been able to as much lately so this was perfect.

Its perfect tv.
  • Up to ep6 of Altered Carbon. It’s getting better. Max Headroom turned up in a cameo! Nice nod to its influences, that.
  • I thought that was him!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Breaking Bad wood have been so much better had the network not insisted it was stretched out. The first season clips along at such a pace I was actually surprised how much happened in it that I thought wasn't until the second or third. It's quite understandable Andy didn't get through season two with all the chaff they added to pad things out.

I often wonder if it'd be possible to edit the whole run down to something shorter and more satisfying.
  • You’ve just described most TV drama that lasts more than ten or twenty episodes.
  • Actually, scrap the episode qualification. Most TV drama.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I often wonder if it'd be possible to edit the whole run down to something shorter and more satisfying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/2017/03/13/breaking-bad-movie-perfect-anyone-cant-bothered-watch-show/

I've watched this, its good but the editing is a bit all over the shop at times. Got it if anyone wants to peruse. It was up on the web at release but obviously got taken down quick.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I thought that was him!

Gotta be honest, the further I get through this show the more it makes me want to go back and watch Max Headroom again. Mrs Poprock has never seen it, so we might have to fix that.
  • BrBd definitely has its slow points, I found them much more frustrating first time round when I was keen to have the plot develop.

Watching back there are some brilliant episodes that are slow. The Fly is great as is the episode early on where Jessie leaves the keys in the RV ignition and they are stranded.
  • AJ wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/2017/03/13/breaking-bad-movie-perfect-anyone-cant-bothered-watch-show/

I've watched this, its good but the editing is a bit all over the shop at times. Got it if anyone wants to peruse. It was up on the web at release but obviously got taken down quick.

Cool, thanks. I'll give you a shout if I ever fancy watching it, but I was more interested in if it'd actually work than anything else.
  • Altered Carbon. Yup.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yay, I was hoping it would be better than OK.
  • I like the aesthetic.
  • The Grand Tour continues to steadily improve. Last weeks episode was good, in particular Jeremy's film about Lancia winning the WRC in a 2WD car and this weeks was also good. Another great film from Jeremy and while they've done submerisible cars before the twist this week was very entertaining. The subtle tweaks from the first season (dropping the american, dropping the travelling, dropping most of the studio bits) have all improved it.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!