The TV you like thread
  • Yeah I mispoke there, it wasn't capitalising on that but it wasn't the same as a weinstein
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I had a similar convo with my brother at the weekend re. Spacey. I mean, not actively raping people willy nilly is less bad, for sure, but that doesn't diminish the experience of the people affected.

In fact that came up too, later, with another friend. How a lot of the time focus is placed on what actually happened at the time: the incident, rather than the impact it had on the victim. As in, people talk about what Aziz did or didn't do that evening, but it's important to think about how that would have impacted the other party over the next xyz time. With the Spacey thing, whilst he wasn't raping people (that I'm aware of), it's easy to dismiss the effect on a young, wannabe actor / industry person's life actions like that (comments, suggestions etc) can have. It doesn't just start and stop at that one time the incident happened, it can remain with someone, and ruin their career / life, forever.
  • Wife is watching The Handmaid's Tale.  Once again the fomo is real, I should've watched this one.  Iris Dement is singing over the current scene.  Will catch up at some point.
  • The Expanse is way better than it seemed at first. Top notch sci fi that doesn't fall into too many cliches or tropes. Some are still there, obv, but there's plenty that's fresh about.

But that rollercoaster bit was awful.

I'm drawing a blank on that bit.
    Spoiler:

Ah, so I blanked it out. I can't even remember why he had to do it.

I also severely underrated 12 Monkeys on first viewing. That one is worth a go if creating a spaghetti junction out of time floats yer boat.

So, what other quality shows are still on weekly release? I have A Handmaid's Tale to catch up on but I don't particularly view that as entertaining. I'm not in the headspace for Legion. Watched Westworld. Are there even any good shows that run over the summer?
  • I'm really a little conflicted in being arsed to watch GLOW. I thought it ended at a good spot in Series 1.
  • 1st ep of season 2 didn’t impress.
  • monkey wrote:
    1st ep of season 2 didn’t impress.

I thought the same, but I’ll get back to it and hope for improvement. If I remember right, S1 took a few episodes to grab me too.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Episode 2 of Preacher didn’t disappoint. Funny and gory with each expertly lit scene draped in a macabre veil.
    Spoiler:
    Essential.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I am missing this coz BT have fucked up me internets. Supposed to be hooked up on the 29th June for "seamless" tansfer with their home movers dept or some shite. Now waiting for the phone line to be connected on monday 9th July and then they will order the broadband. Possibly another week or 2 to get that in. Fuckers
  • The Detectorists is great.
  • It's so understatedly good it's making me a little emotional.
  • It's so understatedly good it's making me a little emotional.
    I need to watch this. I’ve seen the odd half an episode and loved it. Where’s it available?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Netflix.
  • As much as I moan about Netflix it really comes through sometimes.

• Detectorists is just wonderful.
  • Reminds me of that one set in Weston-Super-Mare. That's a great show too.
  • I was just thinking how for once Mackenzie Crook is really good in this. Then I noticed the end credits and he's written and directed it too. Wtf.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you’re enjoying The Detectorists, Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing on iPlayer is worth a look. It feels quite similar in a lot of ways despite being unscripted.
  • I love Bob. I just adore him. I could listen to him talk basically for ever.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If you’re enjoying The Detectorists, Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing on iPlayer is worth a look. It feels quite similar in a lot of ways despite being unscripted.

Well if it's as half as good as this I'm in.
  • Yossarian wrote:

I've been meaning to watch that, might give it a go tonight. 

Gentle sitcoms?  Early Doors was a winner.
  • Did any one see the new Keith Lemon coming in America?

Christ why he's chosen to keep his worst creation going for so long (I suspect money) is beyond me.. painfully unfunny.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Lemon seems oddly popular with the ITV crowd, same people who watch Love Island and Essex shit.
  • His early Bo Selecta stuff was great; that other 'character' is just awful.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    His early Bo Selecta stuff was great; that other 'character' is just awful.

He's thrown some sketches into this.. but other than David Dickinson.. (shopkeeper "its $10" I'll give you $1.) it wasn't really up to snuff.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've mentioned it before on here, but it's easy to forget it's a character. His other stuff seems like it was decades  ago.

Not my cup of tea, but I suppose he's about all that ITV has to stick in those late night slots where cheap TV will still make money. Sort of a budget Chris Evans/Graham Norton.
  • I finished Glow Season 2 a few day ago. I think it's comfortably better than Season 1. It has the benefit of having had all the character work laid down in Season 1, and so we got lots of resolutions to arcs in this season. It probes a lot of the industry stuff better this time around, has better inter-personal relationships, and is also a lot of funnier and warmer. You could potentially criticise it for being too warm and giddy at times, but fuck it, after the total massacre of goodwill in Legion, and the dour attitude of most shows and the current world climate, it's nice to have something that's full of good will and shows fuck ups being fuck ups, but getting by. They totally nailed the whole "ending with a song" thing, and Episode 8, "The Good Twin" is up there with Episode 6 of Legion S2, but then I do love a mix-up.
  • Tempy knows o/ 

The Good Twin had me howling with laughter, just such fun to watch.
  • Really glad to hear Glow sticks the landing. I adore the first series, and it ended in a great place so I wasn't sure if another series would work, but if it does, brilliant.

The cast turned up on Smackdown missing Kia Stevens, which was a shame, would have been nice if she'd appeared in her Kharma get up for a full circle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!