The TV you like thread
  • Fuck sake I said I'll get my coat! Jeez...

Nah, never got on with Bottom past the slapstick. Chaz fucking loved it.
  • I was 11 when i first saw Bottom. It was incredible. The funniest thing I’ve ever seen.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gav mate, probably doesn’t help your cause any but found most of his work just amusing at best. The Young Ones used to have people rolling in the isles O_0. Seemed a lovely guy though.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • After The Young Ones, Bottom always felt kind of b-grade.

It took one (admittedly good) element out of a show that had loads of them and wore it thin. Just doesn't have the variety and is a bit one-dimensional.
  • Bottom was clever. Really clever.
  • Young Ones was a weird show. Sitcom? Sketch show? Erm, why are Madness doing a song now?
  • WorKid wrote:
    Young Ones was a weird show. Sitcom? Sketch show? Erm, why are Madness doing a song now?

I think that was a big part of the appeal of The Comic Strip lot. They weren't pigeon holed into what came before.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Young Ones was a weird show. Sitcom? Sketch show? Erm, why are Madness doing a song now?

Something to do with having a band on pushed it into light entertainment and that mattered for some reason.
  • Wiki wrote:
    Eleven of the twelve episodes had a musical guest performing in the house or street. By including the groups, the show qualified as variety rather than light entertainment by the BBC and was allocated a bigger budget than a sitcom. Groups that appeared included Dexys Midnight Runners, Motörhead, The Damned, and Madness, who appeared in two episodes. The one episode that featured no musical act still fulfilled the variety criteria by including a lion tamer whose presence also directly contributed to the plot.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    New Sacha Baron Cohen show this Sunday, Who Is America. He gets Dick Cheney to sign a waterboard. In.

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1016082033099997184
  • Well at least he’s stopped making increasingly shit movies
    The Forum Herald™
  • Hopefully it will be good.
    Just watching some Ali G in the USAiiiii

Borat hasn't aged too well, both Ali and Borat suffer from over exposure. I still find Bruno hilarious though, he does well showing up the worst parts of America.
  • Unsolved.
    Brilliant, the Biggie/Tupac re-enactments are probably the weaker parts. Jimmi Simpson is great, only took 5 minutes to forget all about the McPoyles.
  • Rik Mayall you say?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What we can gather from Mayall’s career is that a little goes a very long way .. and he couldnt ride a quad bike for shit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Rik Mayall was as a god to me. No one on earth has ever made me laugh more. I was utterly devastated when he passed away.
    Get schwifty.
  • Watched the first episode of Sharp Objects tonight, on Sky. Pretty good. Tense, atmospheric, and mostly well acted. Definitely has potential.

Stars Amy Adams and based on a book by the same author as Gone Girl.

Spoiler:

I tentatively recommend it. Could be the next True Detective, or it could nosedive and be as bad as True Detective season two. Too early to tell.
  • I'm starting that tonight.  Full giggling crush on Amy Adams since Junebug, she's the only actress that can make me watch things I don't want to see just so I can see her.  Luckily I fancy watching this one.
  • Same here, I’ll watch Amy Adams in anything.
  • ...aaaand, that's me caught up and finished S2 of Legion.
    Dazzlingly inventive television that's pretty much in a class of it's own. Doubles down on the psychedelic insanity of S1 and just never lets up. I gather the ending was apparently divisive, but I loved it, and it does contain an elegantly woven truth unusual to the genre that's more akin to someone dropping a hand grenade in the room, rather than the usual lumbering pachyderm in the corner.
    Seriously, if you haven't been watching this, then you should be standing in front of a mirror asking your reflection why.
  • I still don’t know how to feel about the ending really
  • I thought it was brilliant, but I can understand why it was divisive. Massive spoiler ahoy!
    Spoiler:
  • At the moment, I'm working on ambivalence, which means feeling two opposite, irreconcilable emotions about the same thing

ActiveSpiritedFishingcat-max-1mb.gif

As you can see, I haven't quite got the hang of that one yet. I look like
    a dog with a caramel toffee.
  • I’m just not entirely sure whether I feel the show earned that moment or not. I enjoyed it, and thought it was bold, but I don’t know if am fully happy with it. The thing that happened in Syd’s episode was handled much better IMO. I think as well, Syd is quite easily convinced of some things in the episode prior which makes me thing the show is trying to wedge in the potential to back down. It is exciting having a show almost entirely constructed around subjective truths and characters you have to really work to find purchase in.
  • It's just refreshing to see such ridiculous levels of moral ambiguity in what is basically still a comic book superhero show. It sure beats the hell out of men in tights punching the fuck out of each other from where I sit.
  • Stand by for Episode Three of Preacher.

Recorded the Amy Adams thing. Add me to the list of admirers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • As for the fans thing, the show absolutely haemorrhaged viewers during this season, precisely for the reasons you and I liked it, which is I expect why it hasn’t had much coverage elsewhere. That and accessibility, as for me it was a torrent only thing.

I think it’s excellent, definitely in the vein of Hannibal with it’s excellent use of visual flair and weird soundscapes all used to back up a show where you’re rooting for characters that can gut you at a moments notice. The actor they got in to play Farouk, Navid Negahban is absolutely phenomenal, and definitely has that Madds air about him.
  • Aye, he was absolutely fantastic, but the entire cast is up there with him. Struggling to think of a show in recent memory that nails the casting as well as this did.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!