The TV you like thread
  • Re: rest of twinps.
    Spoiler:

The whole thing should be watched really.
  • Djornson wrote:
    There are some good OG Twin Peaks recaps on YouTube. Probably best to at least try to get up to speed before doing Swanson 3.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think all of Twin Peaks is worth doing. We don't half shove some trash in our eyes and dress it up. At least with Twin Peaks season 2 you can largely watch it and understand it with perspective, as a series of mistakes ushered in by a network that had very little idea what they had on their hands. 

It starts strong, and ends strong too, and whilst it frequently bottoms out in the middle (James and Evelyn?!) it's full of some real killer nonsense (Jerry's Civil War). You might as well go all the way with it, and enjoy it for what it is.
  • Also as amazing as Episode Eight of The Return is... The Return as a whole is better.
  • Yup. Agree with all that.
  • With the way TV is now, it's very hard to not just put on a fantastic show, or at the very least a well crafted piece of entertainment that hits all the right beats. I am way more interested in the stuff that fucks up, which is why all of my favourite shows have at some point during their runs been a disaster. Not that I don't love bonafide masterpieces like The Sopranos, but I'm more likely to watch Battlestar again.

It's also why I am currently watching a lot of anime, to try and get into some stories that just wouldn't make it onto TV, like Dennou Coil - one of the best programs about modern social technology i've ever watched.
  • BERLIN BABYLON.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think all of Twin Peaks is worth doing. We don't half shove some trash in our eyes and dress it up. At least with Twin Peaks season 2 you can largely watch it and understand it with perspective, as a series of mistakes ushered in by a network that had very little idea what they had on their hands. 

It starts strong, and ends strong too, and whilst it frequently bottoms out in the middle (James and Evelyn?!) it's full of some real killer nonsense (Jerry's Civil War). You might as well go all the way with it, and enjoy it for what it is.

Original twin peaks (both series 1 and 2) is an inevitable disaster. It’s two people with completely polar ideas about what this show could be but ride out the beginning because holy shit someone gave them a tv show.

I can’t see how lynch’s original plan is
    Spoiler:
    in any way sustainable.

It’s interesting to me that the return follows the template of one of the most successful episodes - series 2 finale- by having frost (co) writing but then completely letting go of the reins for lynch once the series starts.

• BCS is back!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • g.man wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    There are some good OG Twin Peaks recaps on YouTube. Probably best to at least try to get up to speed before doing Swanson 3.

Oh, so, it is related, sort of? Same.. universe but not direct sequel/prequel?
  • It's just 3 series of a TV show, with a 25 year gap between season 2 and 3.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Djornson wrote:

Oh, so, it is related, sort of? Same.. universe but not direct sequel/prequel?

It is direct sequel
  • In as much as anything is ‘direct’ in Twin Peaks.
  • mind blown, 25 year gap! cool. i will check it out
  • It’ll be a very different show without him, but I think it can still work. I’d have preferred the final season to be his victory and vengeance, but I’ll take this.
  • WorKid wrote:
    No Spacey no deal.

I'm more than happy to not have Spacey considering the circumstances
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • HoC was basically The Kevin Spacey Show when it began, but it evolved into a proper ensemble piece over time. As character creations go, Frank Underwood is one of the finest I’ve ever seen … but that’s separating the art from the artist, which I don’t really think is something we can do any more.

What I am happy to do is appreciate how bloody good his work was whilst acknowledging that he was a lecherous shit. And I’m happy to use the past tense because he’ll probably never work again.
  • Cross posting from the anime thread because I know it's weird in there. I recently watched a really good show, that's probably easy to find on yarr sites and is comfortably pretty niche and never seems to get talked about (I only found out about it due to obsessive animator acquaintance who seems to have seen and read everything from Japan)

Dennou Coil - Now this is a good one. An anime i'd recommend to anyone, which is high praise. Directed and written by Mitsuo Iso, who has had a long, long career in animation, it's a blindingly well made program that spends a long time setting up the rules and laws of its world, to deliver a really neat and well packaged story that touches on some interesting and culturally relevant themes. Essentially a mystery story following a bunch of kids as they live their life in a city that has fully given itself over to AR technology. Everyone wears glasses and people own AR pets. The world is made to look better by the inclusion of AR assets in real life, and the line between reality and technology is blurred. It feels in many ways like a more straightforward and less meditative follow up to Serial Experiments Lain. That may sell the ruminations it has on modern technology short, but it always feels very accessible. Aired on NHK in a traditional children's programming slot, it builds a complex world and reinforces its ideas quite a lot, but it definitely isn't just for children. Unlike a lot of anime the quality of animation is incredible from start to finish. It looks and feels like a Ghibli film, but is 26 episodes long. It also has a wonderful standout episode called "Daichi's Hair Begins to Grow" which may just be one of the best episodes of an anime I can care to name.
  • Boolitt wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    BCS is back!

Yay

• I don't see the point of continuing House of Cards. It was already completely daft anyway, and the only satisfying ending would've been finally seeing Frank get his comeuppance.
  • I've watched Killing Eve this week. A bit all over the place plotwise, but the characters and dialogue are strong. Good fun.
  • I liked Killing Eve. Daft, but really slick well made daft.
  • I've just watched episode of something new from AMC. Lodge 49.
    I good feelings about this one - not OMG levels but there's something there, slightly quirky, funny and odd.

Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Been recuperating in bed for a couple of days and needed something to binge on.
    Amazon Prime suggested Hap and Leonard.
    Ntpv55K.jpg

Never heard of it, but a quick look at reviews online and it's wiki page, suggested I might be on to something here.
    I'll cut to the chase. This is brilliant television, and well worth anyone's time.

It's a swamp noir. Darkly comic and deeply dramatic as the seasons progress, brilliantly cast, and just all round bloody well made.
    There are three seasons. They are all great. 
    Each season is only 6, hour long episodes, so about 45 mins sans commercials.
    If you liked stuff like Fargo (the tv series), Quarry, S1 of True Detective, then this is for you.
    gjernju.jpg

It's set in the late 1980's in small-town East Texas.
    It's a mismatched buddy tale. 
    James Purefoy plays Hap (channeling Garner's Jim Rockford like boss), and Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) is his buddy Leonard. This is some Gold standard casting.

Season 1 is a Cohen-esque caper tale.
    Season 2 is a racial serial killer tale.
    Season 3 is about the Klan and digs deep on weapons grade racism.

It's just brilliantly watchable stuff this. As I say the leads are magnetic, and they're consistently surrounded by a brilliant supporting cast full of familiar faces from days gone by. The writing is also consistently great (it's based on a series of novels). Full of twists and turns and curve-balls.

The kicker here though is that in this country it's exclusive to Amazon Prime, which probably most of you don't have. If you do have it, then check it out. If you don't, then this is well worth yarring on the high seas.

I don't recommend much on here, but as I suspect this one flew under the radar, I'm going to stick my neck out and give this two thumbs up and a hearty hell yeah!

quality stuff

g.man
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did season 1 a while back and enjoyed it. I’ve been meaning to get on the other 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!