Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And it's mentioned a couple of posts before.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    I enjoyed Toast and Fools tbh but he's gonna end up the next Brian Blessed, showing up as VO on TV ads WITH THAT VOICE.
    I think he already is, he did the links for Absolute Radio for years.

Absolutely, his voice is everywhere, he even did a Sea of Theives advert.

Still like him though.

• Now this is the kind of TV show I can get behind.

I've always thought that the Vimes books were Pratchett's finest work (yes, even better than the Moist works), so this is very, very good news. Now get the casting of Vimes right please. Clint's too old now, so maybe a grizzled and out of condition Hugh Jackman... (it'll never happen, but a lad can dream).
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • So Mary Berry is a vampire.  Figures.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I do not want to know what Mary Berry does in the shadows.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd imagine he talks in a funny way with that voice in the shadows.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh wait, his sister Mary. I don't know.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Now get the casting of Vimes right please. Clint's too old now, so maybe a grizzled and out of condition Hugh Jackman... (it'll never happen, but a lad can dream).

They’ve been working on the idea of a Watch TV series for years, even back when Terry was still with us. Glad it’s finally reached the ‘official’ point. The original chat from Rhianna was to make it a police procedural that just happens to be set in that world. If they can tone down the silliness and give it some grit, I’m in.

Casting Vimes used to be regular drunken argument around here. Here’s a left-field suggestion: Dennis Quaid. Check out his recent performance in Fortitude – he could do it. (My pick is probably Richard Dormer, since we’re talking Fortitude anyway. But he’d need to work on his accent.)
  • Jaco wrote:
    Now this is the kind of TV show I can get behind. I've always thought that the Vimes books were Pratchett's finest work (yes, even better than the Moist works), so this is very, very good news. Now get the casting of Vimes right please. Clint's too old now, so maybe a grizzled and out of condition Hugh Jackman... (it'll never happen, but a lad can dream).

I loved the Watch stuff too. Never really enjoyed the other TV adaptations that i've seen though, but here's hoping this can be pulled off. A series is a better start than a one off special anyway!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Now get the casting of Vimes right please. Clint's too old now, so maybe a grizzled and out of condition Hugh Jackman... (it'll never happen, but a lad can dream).
    Here’s a left-field suggestion: Dennis Quaid.

Ooh, that's an interesting call. Yeah, I could go with that...
  • Is Matt Berry going to be done that one thing Matt Berry does?

I'm with Kow.
  • I like Matt Berry but I'm not too keen on his voice.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I like Matt Berry but I'm not too keen on his voice.

But that's his one thing, apparently.
  • I think there's more to him than just his voice. But he absolutely is just that one character in all his stuff that he either dials up or down (usually way up). I still think he's hilarious, but it depends on the script.
  • He likes his surrealism too in Snuff Box, Toast, and his work with Bob Mortimer. He’s also a great musician, he just hides a lot of it under that One Thing he does which is pointing and saying things like “You better SHAPE UP or SHIT OFF bucko.”
  • Berry is a very good visual comic too. He's not quite Rowan Atkinson level, but who is?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rowan Atkinson?
  • I think that might have been implicit, Yoss.

Also, John Cleese.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Now this is the kind of TV show I can get behind. I've always thought that the Vimes books were Pratchett's finest work (yes, even better than the Moist works), so this is very, very good news.

6Music have just done a segment on this forthcoming Watch series. Sounds positive, in all … but it was only a pundit’s opinions based on the original press release. No new facts.
  • If they get it right, it'll be brilliant. Hopefully it'll be based on the original 'City Watch' trilogy ('Guards! Guards!', 'Men At Arms' and 'Feet of Clay') and set up the story properly. Coming into an "existing world" simply wouldn't work as there is too much background you need to understand to really get the characters.
  • Aye. The development of Vimes, Carrot, Angua etc over the course of the books was one of the best things about them.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yup. If they did those three and 'Jingo', 'Carpe Jugulum' and 'The Fifth Elephant'  over the course of a few seasons, I'd be a very happy boy. The characters dropped off in 'Night Watch', 'Thud!' etc. But those six books would make a superb overall arc.
  • Look, as long as it's got Rincewind in it, I'll be happy.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment were my two favourite Pratchett books as I got older and developed a bit of perspective. Less of the silliness, more inherent comedy in the tragedy of how true they were.
  • Aye, the Watch stories are my favourite Discworld novels. How they turn that into a TV show is tough though, I have no idea. 
    poprock wrote:
    Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment were my two favourite Pratchett books as I got older and developed a bit of perspective. Less of the silliness, more inherent comedy in the tragedy of how true they were.

This sounds like a good start though. Basically the opposite of those Sky1 attempts.

Idris Elba might make a good vimes? He has the gravellyness from Luther
  • Frosty wrote:

Vimes needs to be more of an everyman. Wiry, middle-aged and a bit broken. No one intimidating or muscular. Vimes got his ferocity from moral outrage, whisky (in the early days) and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Charles Dance was a perfect Vetinari though.
  • poprock wrote:
    Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment were my two favourite Pratchett books as I got older and developed a bit of perspective. Less of the silliness, more inherent comedy in the tragedy of how true they were.

I forgot Monstrous Regiment. That's a great book. I think my favourite Vimes story was Jingo, still holds up really well today. More so, with all the daftness going on in the world.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Frosty wrote:

Vimes needs to be more of an everyman. Wiry, middle-aged and a bit broken. No one intimidating or muscular. Vimes got his ferocity from moral outrage, whisky (in the early days) and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Charles Dance was a perfect Vetinari though.

Yeah... he doesn't fit at all. I'm bad at fantasy casting

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!