The TV you like thread
  • Frosty wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Idris Elba might make a good vimes? He has the gravellyness from Luther
    Vimes needs to be more of an everyman. Wiry, middle-aged and a bit broken. No one intimidating or muscular. Vimes got his ferocity from moral outrage, whisky (in the early days) and sheer bloody-mindedness. Charles Dance was a perfect Vetinari though.
    Yeah... he doesn't fit at all. I'm bad at fantasy casting

Whoever we think is the right fit, you just know the producers will choose someone in their 20s with ridiculously good hair and a chiselled jaw!

Kill me now.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • or worse...Danny Dyer! ;)

I thought Dennis Quaid was a good shout.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Okay

Michael B Jordan for Carrot.

What about Cheery? Do you cast a man or a woman?
  • Could always find a shortarsed trans woman for the part of Cheery. Admittedly, that narrows your casting pool somewhat.

Detritus is CGI, obviously.

Discworld casting is a really good drunken argument game. I recommend it.

No idea what the current TV plan is, but the original chat from Rhi Pratchett and co about this was that they didn’t want to go with the well-known characters. They belong in the books, written by her Dad. The TV show was going to be full of new characters within the Watch. You might see Vimes giving a speech or helping someone along, you might see Detritus rumble past in the background, but it wouldn’t be about them. Similar sort of idea to the Mega-City One TV pitch – Dredd might appear in one episode as a legendary hero figure, but he ain’t the focus.
  • Ah, okay. Makes sense I suppose – everyone has there own personal vision of the main characters, and you'll never please everyone. Or even most people. Or even some people these days.
  • I dunno – as I say, that was the plan discussed in interviews years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if the current iteration of the pitch has changed somewhat. And I know we all want to see Vimes & Co.

Just remembered another fun bit: They described the old pitch as CSI: Ankh-Morpork.
  • poprock wrote:
    They described the old pitch as CSI: Ankh-Morpork.

Oh no, I just died a little bit inside.
  • No, bear with me. As a one-line elevator pitch, that works. It tells you that we’re talking about a long-running episodic police procedural series, with independent stories week by week, centred around a core cast of characters working as an investigative team. That works for me.

Hell, imagine Columbo with Sam Vimes. I’d watch.
  • poprock wrote:
    Columbo with Sam Vimes. I’d watch.

I'm listening again.

I can see Vimes eating pickled eggs too.
  • Boiled, runny on the inside. Mustard on the side. Lady Sybil packs his lunches.
  • Salt. He'd dip it in salt. Or possibly bacon dripping, the sort with the crunchy burnt bits in.
  • Mark Strong as Vimes comes to mind
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • He'd dip it in salt as soon as he was out of Lady Sybil’s sight.
  • poprock wrote:
    He'd dip it in salt as soon as he was out of Lady Sybil’s sight.

Oh my, yes.

There'd be one of those stern, disapproving looks.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Mark Strong as Vimes comes to mind

Good actor, but too good looking.

I tell you who'd be perfect (other than Clint about 30 years ago, naturally) – a young John Hurt.

Now I've just reminded myself that John Hurt is dead and I'm a bit depressed ☹️
  • Showtime have just announced a sequel series to Penny Dreadful. I really really liked Penny Dreadful. I hope this isn’t shit.

Den of Geek link

penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-poster-showtime.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Weird one that.

If the announcement had been “new show from writer of Penny Dreadful called X, set in LA in the 30s, said to be a spiritual successor to PD”, I’d probably be keen. As it is, I’m just thinking that Penny Dreadful in the States in the 30s sounds all kinds of wrong.
  • Is that Bond girl woman still in it?  I only watched it for her.  Still couldn't get past the first episode.  But I do recall Timothy Dalton was in it too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Jaco wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Idris Elba might make a good vimes? He has the gravellyness from Luther

Vimes needs to be more of an everyman. Wiry, middle-aged and a bit broken. No one intimidating or muscular. Vimes got his ferocity from moral outrage, whisky (in the early days) and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Charles Dance was a perfect Vetinari though.

Tom Jane in The Expanse sounds like an audition for that role.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Is that Bond girl woman still in it?  I only watched it for her.  Still couldn't get past the first episode.  But I do recall Timothy Dalton was in it too.

No-one’s still in it, it was cancelled. The new one is apparently going to have a new cast of characters.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Weird one that. If the announcement had been “new show from writer of Penny Dreadful called X, set in LA in the 30s, said to be a spiritual successor to PD”, I’d probably be keen. As it is, I’m just thinking that Penny Dreadful in the States in the 30s sounds all kinds of wrong.

Agreed, but I’ll give it a chance.

I mean, even the name ‘Penny Dreadful’ is knee-deep in Victoriana. I get that they want a reinvention, but they should have the courage to ditch the brand equity and start fresh.

What this has done though, is tempt me to start rewatching the original from the start.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    No-one’s still in it, it was cancelled. The new one is apparently going to have a new cast of characters.

Indeed, but the tagline is ‘sometimes what’s dead doesn’t always remain’ so they’re keeping options open.
  • Man House of Cards S6ep1 was a bit of a dogs dinner.
  • Finishing off Daredevil tonight, diving in to House of Cards tomorrow.
  • I'm currently ploughing through all of Discworld from book 1.

Having read then over a period of hmmm 25 years, I aim to do the lot in 12 months.

I've never failed to be disappointed by the TV adaptations by the way.
  • Aye, they’ve all been poor. Going Postal was the best yet, but it’s a bloody low bar.

I’ve said it before, but Discworld Noir on the PSOne was the best adaptation to date.
  • Some of the audio adaptations have been canny.
  • All the audiobooks are great. Tony Robinson does a fantastic an job.

The voices in Wee Free Men get a bit much, admittedly.
  • After risking Big Mouth after a couple of recommendations and finding it surprisingly good, I thought I'd try a couple of other animations Netflix have been pushing: Paradise PD and Pacific Heat. Wish I hadn't bothered; they're both really quite bad.
  • Hap and Leonard Season 2 finished this afternoon. It was really rather good. The first series was thoroughly entertaining and this season was very different, more serious and no less enjoyable. Great characters (certainly the main two) and a surprisingly good mystery. It was so good I have bought the first four books to read.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!