Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I doubt its supposed to have you rolling in the aisles, its just a nice addition and continuation of the canon. Like all good fictional comedy creations, not everything they do, or write should equal a hearty lol.
  • Partridge: good
    UK Office: bad
    US Office: good
    Curb: the best awkward comedy
  • Partridge is the greatest of all comedy.
  • And those emails are spot on. Top class.
  • Tiger knowing telly again like a really well informed champ.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That was damn good.
  • Well, that's The Expanse done. Really liked it. Anyone read the books?
  • So good to have Partridge back.
    Some full on belly laughs there
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Loved aspects of Partridge (the hygiene segment especially) but a fair chunk of it felt flat and some of the mannerisms weren't the character. Also Lynn was not Lynn in the way she acted.
  • I haven't watched much Partridge, missed the boat a bit and caught up here and there (speaking of boats, Watership Alan was a good one).  Everything I've seen suggests he's a quality character in a well written show, but I think I was so fed up with certain irl people quoting it I never went all in.

Using Gav's template:

Partridge: Good
    UK Office: Very good
    US Office: Probably alright but I only watched one episode
    Curb: Hit and miss but when it hits its the best thing on this page.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh god I agree with moot again :cry:
  • So, True Detective season three, huh? Well. That was a thing. Now that I’ve seen it all, I’m starting to think that Stephen Dorff out-acted Mahershala Ali. Which is quite a feat.
  • "A tumbledown farmhouse nestled in the cleavage of soft bosomy downs. Can you say cleavage? Can you say bosom? Might not be a woman, might just be a smooth, fat, teenage boy"

I liked it much better second time round. Some quite naff, weak bits, but partridge has always had those.
    It felt a tad flat, but I've got a feeling it's all intentional, this is going to be a slow burn in the way that something like "on cinema" is and the interpersonal tensions are going to grow and grow.

I think/hope they're playing a long game here and it's not time to judge it yet.

If this was a one off special I'd rate it as a rare misstep for Gibbons-era Partridge but with some very nice moments regardless, but I've got a feeling they're just throwing in the ingredients and things will start to simmer next week.
  • God the Walking Dead is bad. Why am I doing this to myself. I think I'll hit the point I know is coming and just leave it there

I didn't have the episodes for the second half of season 8 so I watched a recap. I'm so glad I did it that way because the recap was insanely dumb.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think I was so fed up with certain irl people quoting it I never went all in.

The cake is a lie!
    When I saw the stunt casting of Stephen Merchant for portal 2, my heart sank, but thankfully, he was very good in it.
    I'm just glad I got in on the ground floor, because like you say, once the great unwashed latch on to something, suck it dry of all nuance and boil it down to some shit-muncher tickling catchphrase, it's hard to see it with fresh eyes.

edit: I don't mean that to sound elitist, you know who I'm talking about, the mouth breathing, dullard oxygen thieves that you have to share office space with.
    Again, that's coming across as elitist. I'm just going to leave this hole partially dug, I think.
    The sort of people who'd be happy to leave their tellies tuned to ITV2, let's say.

Though to be fair, I'm Alan Partridge series 2 seemed to be desperately reaching for that at times.
    Jacka-nacka-nory! Spice World! Jurassic Park! Cashback! and so on. Maybe it was a satire of the trend for catchphrase comedy in the UK around the same time (Fast Show, Harry Enfield etc) but it didn't feel like that, it felt like they were trying to fit in and score some easy points.
  • Can I avoid sounding elitist while wholeheartedly agreeing?  For the record I thought Gavin & Stacy was alright, but I'm going to use it as an example for this kind of thing because I've seen people watching it like they're interval training for a laughathon - metronomic tittering interspersed with guffaws.  30mins of sustained chortling like they're watching You've Been Framed rather than a sitcom.  I don't understand it, is it because from where they're sitting they can see James Cordon"s belly?  I should be happy for them, but when I say them I'm actually referring to one person I work with in particular and he's the 'ladyboy!? A-HAA' guy and he's been doing it for close to two decades.
  • And The Inbetweeners. I thought that was great, but really? You're still fucking doing it?
  • I wonder how long I can remain self aware and not quote The Fast Show irl now.
  • g.man wrote:
    My sides, they are splitting. *rolls eyes*

Lol
    The Forum Herald™
  • poprock wrote:
    So, True Detective season three, huh? Well. That was a thing. Now that I’ve seen it all, I’m starting to think that Stephen Dorff out-acted Mahershala Ali. Which is quite a feat.

It was.  Last episode did the trick for me, I was braced for disappointment at one point but it pulled it back.  There's been plenty of great TV already this year.
  • Britbox sounds like iPlayer behind a paywall with the added bonus of whatever goddawful content ITV vomits up these days.  Awesome.
  • Really enjoyed Partridge despite the character being all over the place. DS is right about Lyne who has had a personality transplant for the worse.
  • the walking dead is a bit dull now. I'll keep watching it but yea.. 

Parks and Recreation - on Series three. Love the jokes which transcend the series

Ron and his meat fetish
    The weird named colognes which people (usually Tom) are wearing (who they meet in that ep)
    Hating the library people/department
    Picking on Jerry 

Series 3 has had me lol in public a few times
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • poprock wrote:
    So, True Detective season three, huh? Well. That was a thing. Now that I’ve seen it all, I’m starting to think that Stephen Dorff out-acted Mahershala Ali. Which is quite a feat.
    Yeah, echoes my thoughts that. I enjoyed most of the journey, but when we finally got to the destination I was a bit disappointed to find it was still a building site rather than a finished resort.
    Think as a whole, it would work better as binge tv. At times I really struggled with a week's break between episodes as all the multiple timeline shenanigans got really confusing at various points.
    Great performances from the leads tho. Dorff edged it for me too, mainly because of Ali's over-reliance on mumblecore that far too often left me scratching my head about what he was actually saying.

solid rather than essential

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Britbox sounds like iPlayer behind a paywall with the added bonus of whatever goddawful content ITV vomits up these days.  Awesome.

“Britbox is already available in the US.” Really? Wow. Not one American has ever mentioned it to me. Must be super popular.

This is just going to mean that it’s important to keep up with BBC shows and catch them while they’re still on the iPlayer.

They’re probably thinking that Britbox can replace much of the market for the BBC’s DVD/Blu-Ray box sets.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just reading the Graun report on this, the following line jumped out at me:

“They will be able to watch it on holiday within the EU, but only if the government strikes a trade deal with Brussels.”

BrexitBox anyone?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    BrexitBox anyone?

Uh-oh.

(You can tell we’re getting close to B-day, it’s seeping into every thread. Which is right and proper, because everything is affected.)
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I have Britbox and can confirm Unlikely described it perfectly. Cancelling soon as it’s my least watched streaming app and most of the shows I watch end up on YouTube earlier anyway.

Need to shift my pennies to DAZN as that’s buying up all the non North American sports rights in Canada, which is my kind of sports channel.
    Things can only get better.
  • The OA Part Two looks interesting. Looks from the trailer as if it contextualises and grounds the first series, then goes off on one. I’ll give it a shot.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Can’t watch the trailer now, but definitely up for a season two. I had know idea it was happening.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!