Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Luke is his father.
  • I'm up to ep4 and enjoying it. It feels very much like Watchmen so far and is enjoyably wild. 
    Spoiler:

I'm still wary that it will run out of steam and end up its own arse.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My favourite TV series ever is on Bluray at last.

The 1980 BBC production of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy starring Alec Guinness and a stellar supporting cast.

7 episodes long clocking in at 315mins and every second is understated gold. I've had it on DVD for ages and this Bluray upgrade is excellent. It's also retained the original BBC version - the US got it cut down to fit in with schedules - sacrilegious.  Have heard that streamed versions are the US version sadly so if interested be aware of that.

There's a BBC radio play version that lasts 3 hrs which is actually very good and quite close to the TV series dialogue in places but is different enough for Le Carre fanboys like me to make it worthwhile.  It's actually available on CD from the BBC but it's on youtube of course.

Also - have just seen that Dekalog has been released on Blu Ray now too. May well pick that up at some point.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I hadn’t seen Taskmaster until they started putting up episodes on their official YouTube channel, comedy gold. The latest episode, series 2, ep 1 with the red green potato challenge had me in stitches.
    Things can only get better.
  • davyK wrote:
    My favourite TV series ever is on Bluray at last.

The 1980 BBC production of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy starring Alec Guinness and a stellar supporting cast.

7 episodes long clocking in at 315mins and every second is understated gold. I've had it on DVD for ages and this Bluray upgrade is excellent. It's also retained the original BBC version - the US got it cut down to fit in with schedules - sacrilegious.  Have heard that streamed versions are the US version sadly so if interested be aware of that.

There's a BBC radio play version that lasts 3 hrs which is actually very good and quite close to the TV series dialogue in places but is different enough for Le Carre fanboys like me to make it worthwhile.  It's actually available on CD from the BBC but it's on youtube of course.

Also - have just seen that Dekalog has been released on Blu Ray now too. May well pick that up at some point.

Check out I, Claudius if you haven't. Similarly excellent.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Never got around to watching it but I saw Brian Blessed give a talk once and his anecdote about the “hardest thing he’s ever had to do in acting” was about his death scene in this, where he had to just lie inert, not breathing with his eyes open as Sîan Phillips commenced to do a four minute monologue confessing to her crimes. Amazing stuff.
  • Yeah, hard to imagine Brian Blessed shutting the fuck up for four minutes.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah, hard to imagine Brian Blessed shutting the fuck up for four minutes.

If I remember the scene correctly, he opened one eye and winked at the camera before a minute was up
  • mannaboy wrote:
    I hadn’t seen Taskmaster until they started putting up episodes on their official YouTube channel, comedy gold. The latest episode, series 2, ep 1 with the red green potato challenge had me in stitches.

Taskmaster is awesome. Moving to channel 4 now and has secured another 6 series. But not on for a while now I think.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Never got around to watching it but I saw Brian Blessed give a talk once and his anecdote about the “hardest thing he’s ever had to do in acting” was about his death scene in this, where he had to just lie inert, not breathing with his eyes open as Sîan Phillips commenced to do a four minute monologue confessing to her crimes. Amazing stuff.

It's all on YouTube, maybe need a VPN to watch is all.

It is faithful to the book though, and the book is the epitome of late Victorian misogyny, so you know, trigger warning and all that
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    @MattyJ Yeah saw that news. At the rate they're releasing them on YT, I think I'll be fine until the new ones appear.

I wish more broadcasters released content on their YT channels like they have. Stuff like 8 out of 10 cats, Only Connect will never pop up on the major streaming apps.
  • War of the Worlds: Ep 2...
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    War of the Worlds: Ep 2...
    Spoiler:

I want to kinder than that as this was something I desperately wanted to be good, but it’s hard to argue. It also needed a per episode budget more similar to His Dark Materials in order to cope with demands of the story.

Speaking of His Dark Materials, I’m really enjoying this. The bear is beautifully done and the two leading ladies are excellent.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, I'm stockpiling HDM for the Xmas period. Looks like a better production than WotW anyhoo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cooper went absolutely bloody mental at that bear tonight. Growling, barking, snarling at the TV.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I tried His Dark Materials but I don't get it really. Is it kind of a Harry Potter type thing (kids' book or something)?
  • I stated reading it when it was first published but thought it was a bit shit. No desire to watch anything related to it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The TV show is definitely on the Harry Potter level. Can’t speak for the books.

Nice production values, and lots of recognisable actors taking a kid’s story very seriously.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Watchmen episode 6 took the show from being a good show to a great show. From how it was shot, to the story itself, perfect from start to finish.

• His Dark Materials is kind of a slight step up from HP but still mostly for kids. It has a few things to say about organised religion and other more adult concepts. I really enjoyed the books and I'm looking forward to getting into the show sometime soon.

I've just started my Deadwood rewatch and it's just fantastic in every way. I was worried it wouldn't hold up but it got me from minute 1. I'm always impressed by shows that captivate you when it's just 50 mins of conversations. Such well crafted characters. I also saw Nick Offerman's penis so there's that too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Had a go at HBO series Euphoria. It reminded me of Brett Easton Ellis stuff - messed up rich kids. If there's any truth in it then the American middle class are fucked.
  • His Dark Materials is kind of a slight step up from HP but still mostly for kids. It has a few things to say about organised religion and other more adult concepts. I really enjoyed the books and I'm looking forward to getting into the show sometime soon.

I've just started my Deadwood rewatch and it's just fantastic in every way. I was worried it wouldn't hold up but it got me from minute 1. I'm always impressed by shows that captivate you when it's just 50 mins of conversations. Such well crafted characters. I also saw Nick Offerman's penis so there's that too.

I'm just coming to the end of my rewatch. Utterly brilliant TV.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow wrote:
    Had a go at HBO series Euphoria. It reminded me of Brett Easton Ellis stuff - messed up rich kids. If there's any truth in it then the American middle class are fucked.
    I just finished this last week.
    A pretty apt description of it.

Like the Joker movie in that I thought it was very good but I didn't enjoy it tbh.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Atypical

Netflix original sitcom starring Jennifer Jason Leigh. Centred around a high functioning Autistic and his family i watched the entire first season over the weekend. It's really funny. Even if the best friend character is the best thing in it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • mannaboy wrote:
    Watchmen episode 6 took the show from being a good show to a great show. From how it was shot, to the story itself, perfect from start to finish.

I am excited for this tonight.

I think I’m enjoying Watchmen more than I should because there’s fuck all on at the moment that’s really top-tier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Episode 6 is better than previous ones. Bit late to start getting decent.
  • That’s what I said about episode five.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How many episodes are there going to be in total?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    It’s 9 episodes and is a complete story.
  • I’m carrying on with the Netflix Marvel stuff even though Luke Cage was a bit rubbish and Iron Fist was just plain utter crap. Daredevil S1 and S2 were both decent though, I enjoyed them, and even Jessica Jones picked up during the second half of the series. 

Let’s see how The Defenders fares.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!