The TV you like thread
  • g.man wrote:
    Are you telling me someone has made a prequel tv series to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?
    If so, Jesus wept.

Yeah, Ratched on Netflix.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    One of those things where it seems there's literally no other reason for that character to be included, other than to get publicity.
  • It's not grabbing me atm but tbf I'm on my phone typing out messages about it to you guys.
  • I'd have preferred a knockabout RP McMurphy prequel tbh.
  • I have SkY Arts on in the background at the mo. They've just trailed Danny Dyer on Harold Pinter.

What a time to be alive!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tbf to the man he did start on stage and was originally a serious, very good actor.

Hes played the Dyer character well, made him minted.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    When was he a very good actor?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Always has been.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    ok
  • g.man wrote:
    Are you telling me someone has made a prequel tv series to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?
    If so, Jesus wept.
    Is it called Zero flew?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Always has been.

I got it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So, Ratched. I watched two episodes. Obviously a lot of money has been spent on it, it looks great. But it's garbage. Apart from the glaring problem, it's just not very interesting, has scenes that make zero sense and has a glossy unreal feel to it.
    But yeah, the big problem is the character. There is literally no reason for it to be about Nurse Ratched (so far anyway) and worse, it's destroying an iconic villainess. McMurphy hit the nail on the head when he described her as "something of a cunt". Because that's all she was - a jobsworth cunt who didn't like her authority being usurped. This presents her as a scheming and brutal sadist. Of course you're allowed to be creative with characters, but really why bother? Why take a character and turn her into something so pointlessly different? The whole feel of the series is just so far from that of Cuckoo's Nest (gore? For fuck sake) that it seems a monumental waste of time and money.
    The other thing that annoyed me is the score. It flits between Cape Fear, Psycho and fucking Star Wars and never gives you a second's peace. Maybe a moment of quiet for some dialogue? No, here it comes again, the fucking tuba of doom.
  • I'll be giving that one a miss then.

I've just watched the first episode of Raised by Wolves. I'm certainly intrigued.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ratched is by the American Horror Story team I believe so no surprise.

Mad Men hit some glorious highs during season 4 and 5 but by fuck is Season 6 a slog. Feels like we're back to the same old tropes of the earlier seasons. A couple of top drawer laughs, however.
  • I really like AHS but it is camp and ott. It is not the same realm as Cuckoos Nest.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    To be fair, I don't think they had any intention of trying to make any serious connection with Cuckoo's Nest, they just wanted to have some fun with the character. But a) there was no need to use this particular character and b) it's not much fun.
  • Probably a step too far.
    AHS wears its influences on its sleeve but filters them through its own style, quite often mixing up those influences as well smashing sub genres together.

I can see why studio heads would see Ratched via AHS is a good idea but it isnt. It is like getting the guys behind Hot Shots to do a comedy Top Gun prequel.
  • The Daddy wrote:

I've just watched the first episode of Raised by Wolves. I'm certainly intrigued.

Strong start, some annoyances for a couple of eps, but I'm up to ep 5 and it's turning out real interesting.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just searched for season 2 of Next in Fashion and learnt it has been dropped.

I'm a bit pissed off. The show is excellent, it really turned me on to what high fashion is.
    The failures of the show are clearly Alexa Chung who is a shit presenter and past it model but mainly forcing creatives to work and be judged as pairs some of whom have never met.

Great show hindered and cancelled by corporate TV twats.
  • Kow wrote:
    So, Ratched. I watched two episodes. Obviously a lot of money has been spent on it, it looks great. But it's garbage. Apart from the glaring problem, it's just not very interesting, has scenes that make zero sense and has a glossy unreal feel to it. But yeah, the big problem is the character. There is literally no reason for it to be about Nurse Ratched (so far anyway) and worse, it's destroying an iconic villainess. McMurphy hit the nail on the head when he described her as "something of a cunt". Because that's all she was - a jobsworth cunt who didn't like her authority being usurped. This presents her as a scheming and brutal sadist. Of course you're allowed to be creative with characters, but really why bother? Why take a character and turn her into something so pointlessly different? The whole feel of the series is just so far from that of Cuckoo's Nest (gore? For fuck sake) that it seems a monumental waste of time and money. The other thing that annoyed me is the score. It flits between Cape Fear, Psycho and fucking Star Wars and never gives you a second's peace. Maybe a moment of quiet for some dialogue? No, here it comes again, the fucking tuba of doom.
    I watched the trailer and came to the same conclusions. It was never a character that needed a back story, and definitely not this one.
  • It will probably be terrible, but the WandaVision trailer looks intriguing at least. They appear to be leaning into the more interesting/bizarre elements of their comic book history...

• So the Emmys happened. Lots of wins for Schitt’s Creek, Succession and Watchmen. Quite a few technical awards for The Mandalorian. Best supporting actress deservedly went to Julia Garner for Ozark. Best actor went to Jeremy Strong for Succession, which was nice to see - felt like he was criminally overlooked at the BAFTAs. A pretty solid year, in all.
  • I don’t understand the premise of wandavision. Is the whole thing Wanda trying to get out of a delusion?
  • poprock wrote:
    Best supporting actress deservedly went to Julia Garner for Ozark.

Yes, she is superb.
  • Kow wrote:
    Tuba of Doom

I can't find an emoji that sums up how happy this phrase makes me feel.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • PAAAAARP!
  • tin_robot wrote:
    It will probably be terrible, but the WandaVision trailer looks intriguing at least. They appear to be leaning into the more interesting/bizarre elements of their comic book history...
    I do like the look of that.
  • I don’t understand the premise of wandavision. Is the whole thing Wanda trying to get out of a delusion?

Doesn’t appear to me that the trailer spells it out explicitly but give Wanda’s powers in the canon, I believe she has probably constructed some kind of false reality to exist within to cope with some kind of trauma most likely.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Ratched There is literally a scene where a huge squealing parp intrudes for no good reason at all.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Mrs Hair wanted to see Ratched. With my planned counter watch going to be Interstellar I took it on the chin, but found myself quite enjoying it's gruesome and stylish shtick. Reminds me of the old Hammer films, but wrapped in 40's Americana.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!