The TV you like thread
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’m not sure I’d call the original Utopia a classic.

I only managed about three episodes of the original before giving up. Thought it was was rubbish.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was ok, a bit dumb really. The second series was unwatchable.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I loved the U.K. Utopia. The feeling of queasy dread it managed to instil in me while I was watching it is unlike anything else I’ve ever experienced.
  • The soundtrack too was amazing.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Finished Fargo S4 - completely different experience to Kow. Loved it, loved the mood, the tempo, the way it captures the futillity of life. Only one moment where I thought they missed the omg moment somehow when it was supposed to be an omg moment.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished catching up with Talking Heads. iPlayer.  Nice little series of monologues by Alan Bennett. I remember enjoying them back in the 80s but I get more out of these reduxes being of a similar age of the subjects.

Smiley's People has arrived on Blu Ray. Magnificent followup to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with the original cast more or less intact. My weekend viewing sorted.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Talking Heads is awesome
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Finished Fargo S4 - completely different experience to Kow. Loved it, loved the mood, the tempo, the way it captures the futillity of life. Only one moment where I thought they missed the omg moment somehow when it was supposed to be an omg moment.

What was it?

Honestly I thought it was an amazing show. Really captured BLM as well, that feeling of racial struggle.

Personally, I was expecting:
    Spoiler:

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The death which followed the cops demise.
  • Everyone, especially the Scots in here, needs to check out Elliot the littlest reindeer on kids Netflix. Just skip to the "Scottish" reindeer on the farm.

The absolutely worst and most hilarious accent I've ever heard attempted.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Just finished the first ep of the American version of Utopia. It’s...not awful. Will watch more.

Thankfully, it's been cancelled after only one series.

A warning to others, don't mess with the classics.

US Office says hi. Actually a great example that it can work. Yes first series was trying to hard to ape the UK show, but once it got into its own stride and fleshed out far more characters than the two series UK show allowed, it became equally as good, and better in places than the OG.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Everyone, especially the Scots in here, needs to check out Elliot the littlest reindeer on kids Netflix. Just skip to the "Scottish" reindeer on the farm. The absolutely worst and most hilarious accent I've ever heard attempted.

You've not watched Bly Manor then.  I refuse to believe it's possible to do worse than that.
  • Seriously, I'd take the wager. It's staggering. There's a few scandy accents later that are nearly as bad too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    The death which followed the cops demise.

This is a good example of a totally pointless storyline, of which there are many in the show.
  • Man Down on Netlix. Greg Davies thing, hadn't heard of it but there are four seasons on there. Feels like a timecapsule 90s sitcom. Nice to see Rik Mayall gyrating at things in series one, which I binged in a couple of days. Doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's pretty good and seems to be getting better.
  • The Queens Gambit is a bit good, isn’t it?
  • Holy moly but Cobra Kai is really good. I know i praised it before, but i had only seen the first few eps on youtube then never got round to picking it up. just got netflix back the other day and have been hammering it though, now half way through season 2.

i was well up for a nostalgic repeat of the movie, but this does so much more, it's really quite an incredible achievement. It stands alone as a tv show, whilst also being true to the movie and in ways twisting and changing your perception of the original.  It's nostalgic but relevant, feelgood yet subverts expectations, and the way the yin/yang balance of the characters and their motivations ebbs and flows through it is really something. And there's a joy to it that means nearly every episode ends with a big smile on my face and a desire to watch more.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apparently it's been around for ages but we all only just discovered it thanks to Netflix.
  • I think someone mentioned that. Was it Gonz?
  • poprock wrote:
    The Queens Gambit is a bit good, isn’t it?

Yeah, loving it!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • poprock wrote:
    I think someone mentioned that. Was it Gonz?

No, he wouldn't like that sort of thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Man Down, Queen’s Gambit and Cobra Kai all get the Yoss seal of approval.
  • Finished Chernobyl last night. Absolutely outstanding stuff, want to watch it all over again.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Do it!

Apparently HBO's Chernobyl podcast makes a good companion piece to each episode:

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Oh, nice one. I'll give that a listen.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Chernobyl was so good, but it was just so traumatising to watch that I can’t imagine I’d ever want to watch it again.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    The Queens Gambit is a bit good, isn’t it?

Yeah, loving it!

Yep only watched first episode but quality through and through.

• Big Mouth s4 is up on Netflix.
    I watched the first few last night and the standard remains high.
  • Holy moly but Cobra Kai is really good. I know i praised it before, but i had only seen the first few eps on youtube then never got round to picking it up. just got netflix back the other day and have been hammering it though, now half way through season 2.

i was well up for a nostalgic repeat of the movie, but this does so much more, it's really quite an incredible achievement. It stands alone as a tv show, whilst also being true to the movie and in ways twisting and changing your perception of the original.  It's nostalgic but relevant, feelgood yet subverts expectations, and the way the yin/yang balance of the characters and their motivations ebbs and flows through it is really something. And there's a joy to it that means nearly every episode ends with a big smile on my face and a desire to watch more.

Cobra Kai Cobra Kai Cobra Kai!

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Big Mouth s4 is up on Netflix.
    I watched the first few last night and the standard remains high.

Love this show. Also started last night; binged four. It’ll be over far too soon.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!