The TV you like thread
  • The level of discourse because she wore in unmatching pants and bra was shocking.
  • Watched the first two episodes of Solar Opposites on Disney+ last night. It's the new animated comedy show by Justin Roland, which follows an alien family who have crash landed in a suburb and struggle (clearly) to fit in, given that the dad Corvo is a megalomaniacal human hater.

It sounds like Rick & Morty, looks like R&M and features at least 50% more swearing and extreme violence. Actually, probably more like 75% more.

I'm undecided about it. At the moment it's not really it's own thing, it's too similar to R&M whilst not being as good. It lacks the pathos and occasional warmth of it's predecessor and seems to by trying too hard to shock - but then again I'm only 2 episodes in and you've got to let these things breathe a bit. I'll keep watching, mainly because I enjoy Roilands voice work.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Evangeline Lilly, unless there’s another female actress in Lost that turned up in Ant Man.
    Yeah thats her. Still would
    PSN - minkymu
  • Gremill wrote:
    Watched the first two episodes of Solar Opposites on Disney+ last night. It's the new animated comedy show by Justin Roland, which follows an alien family who have crash landed in a suburb and struggle (clearly) to fit in, given that the dad Corvo is a megalomaniacal human hater. It sounds like Rick & Morty, looks like R&M and features at least 50% more swearing and extreme violence. Actually, probably more like 75% more. I'm undecided about it. At the moment it's not really it's own thing, it's too similar to R&M whilst not being as good. It lacks the pathos and occasional warmth of it's predecessor and seems to by trying too hard to shock - but then again I'm only 2 episodes in and you've got to let these things breathe a bit. I'll keep watching, mainly because I enjoy Roilands voice work.

I watched the first one yesterday and felt much the same. I'm pretty sure that the plot of the first episode deliberately puts a lampshade on the idea that it's a lesser copy of Rick and Morty, but unfortunately that didn't stop me feeling just that.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Evangeline Lilly, unless there’s another female actress in Lost that turned up in Ant Man.

Not
    In
    Mismatched underwear though
    The Forum Herald™
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Thought this video from Vincent was interesting. Despite being a fussy, physical media-prefering videophile, he actually prefers the Dolby Vision streams on Disney+ to HDR10 Blu-rays.

"ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    [Edit: double post]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Haven’t watched it, but I’m guessing it’s because HDR10 is a static method of applying HDR to a movie, whereas DV has dynamic meta data that changes based on the image? I like Vince.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Was a splendid elf in the Hobbit films.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Haven’t watched it, but I’m guessing it’s because HDR10 is a static method of applying HDR to a movie, whereas DV has dynamic meta data that changes based on the image? I like Vince.

Yeah, basically felt the pros of DV outweighed the cons of the compression artefacts.
  • Well the Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta is amazing. Such a brilliant show.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apparently Danny Boyle is making a six part series about the Sex Pistols for Hulu. Could be good if done well.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

Absolutely incredible ^

Not even going to bother trying to do it justice
  • Djornson wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

Absolutely incredible ^

Not even going to bother trying to do it justice

I’ve downloaded them to keep and savour when I’m in the mood.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bob wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Not
    In
    Mismatched underwear though

Tbf that wouldn’t be on long enough
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    WandaVision finale:
    Spoiler:

Looking back at the whole series, I wouldn't subscribe to Disney+ just for this on it's own but it's worth catching up with if subscribing for Mandalorian Season 3 or the latest Pixar movie or whatever.
  • Stuff about Lost (not Evangaline's underwear) on previous page, can't be asked to go back and get a proper quote

I only watched Lost up to series 2 when it came out.  It felt a bit like being jerked around watching it week to week, like nothing would happen and then CLIFFHANGER!

Actually watched it relatively recently in a binge and it suits that format better than week to week.  It's good this way, I wasn't too hot on the ending but I didn't hate it either.
  • I quite like stupid trashy cliffhanger stuff if it’s done right. But Lost, a few eps into into its first season, did a cliffhanger (Lock finds a metal door) that they didn’t return to in the next episode, or the next one. At that point I was out.

Had to return to it years later when I got together with the gf who made me watch the final few seasons. Still don’t think they’d properly explained what was going on with the metal door.
  • The hatch? That gets explained fully
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The thing with Lost is that you know full well that any explanations that they give for anything were entirely thought up months later to explain away something cool that Abrams had thought up months previously. Any explanation for anything in the show immediately feels unsatisfying as a result.
  • We were lucky in the UK as C4 had stocked up two series of Lost but if one had to wait a year for the end of the first series to resolve that would have been complete bullshit.

They clearly hadn’t thought a thing about it.
  • That’s simply not true
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The thing with Lost is that you know full well that any explanations that they give for anything were entirely thought up months later to explain away something cool that Abrams had thought up months previously. Any explanation for anything in the show immediately feels unsatisfying as a result.

I think where they suffered is reading all the theories that were being spouted online. Should have had their ending and just worked to it. Who cares if someone guessed it.
  • There was a plan. Yes they added bits in to extend it but it’s a myth that they didn’t know the ending etc.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Frankly, I don’t believe them. Of course you won’t admit you don’t know where something’s going when you’re still writing it, that would make everyone stop watching.
  • They might have known the full ending but the hatch stuff was a hack. Even if they knew what the hatch was why end series 1 with such a gut punch of a tease?
  • The ending was that they were in limbo. The internet guessed that in the first season and they were all “nah, guess again”. Then in the final season, they all had to get out of limbo. It just wasn’t on the island, it was somewhere else.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Which is why I don’t believe them saying that they knew where they were going with it. To specifically deny one theory only for it to turn out to be true doesn’t suggest to me that they had a plan.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!