The TV you like thread
  • 6th best dressed loser.
  • Master of none is great. Acting is Seinfeld level shit tier, but it's sort of the charm. Especially Aziz's parents.

S2 is indeed riskier. If you don't like Aziz, that's a problem though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He was ok in Parks & Rec, but his standup is woeful.
  • Watched ep1 of Riviera last night. It’s darker than I expected, and that’s a good thing. Stiles is convincing as a Russian billionaire’s young second wife – who genuinely adores the guy, and had no idea what he was really involved in. I say ‘was’ because it’s no spoiler to say he dies in this first episode. Or does he? There’s mystery to it already. This is going to be a thriller, not a romantic drama. As soon as her husband’s dead, she starts to learn that he kept secrets – and that everyone around her seems to know more than she does.

I’m predicting a tangled web of financial fraud, art forgery, Government corruption and a conspiracy to murder and/or fake important deaths … and we’ve already been rushed around London, New York, Monaco and Nice. The locations are a big part of the scene-setting.

I like it so far. Will watch the rest.
  • Keep us posted pops. I've bookmarked it on my watchlist, but I'm still undecided. Been getting mixed reviews.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I reckon ‘Mixed reviews’ describes most shows I enjoy.

Riviera is fluff, not high drama, but feels like it’s had a lot of love lavished on it. There’s a whiff of cheese, but I’m okay with that. Y’know, ‘rich Russian is dodgy’ … ‘Concerned dectective has a secret’ … ‘ex-wife knows more than you think’ … etc. I’m on board.
  • I do like Julia Stiles.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    He was ok in Parks & Rec, but his standup is woeful.

Agreed on that but I still really enjoyed MoN so might be worth another go.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Master of none is great. Acting is Seinfeld level shit tier, but it's sort of the charm. Especially Aziz's parents. S2 is indeed riskier. If you don't like Aziz, that's a problem though.

This is my issue with MoN.  I like the show quite a lot, but the acting ranges from poor to non-existent, which makes it feel incredibly self-indulgent.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Good comedy doesn't really need good acting though. Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld are good examples.
  • I'm on to the second season of Underground, which has turned out to be very watchable (OTT use of modern music in a historical drama aside).

Also been watching Cardinal on the iplayer, a Canadian serial killer-detective thing.
  • Talking of detectives, I never mentioned my liking for the third season of Bosch. It's still fairly typical Hollywood, but the cast and production are absolutely top notch. The main strength is that they seem to have mastered the streaming format. It's not an episode of the week TV show and it's not an eight hour film. It is multiple cases and a shitload of characters, spun out over ten episodes without a stodgy bit in the middle or a couple of fake cliffhangers.
  • Can I just say that I hate Gogglebox but I love Gogglesprogs.  Does this make me a paedo? Okthanksbye.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    you are part of an infantilisation of society

that's deep DS i know thanks
  • The Last Leg was pretty awesome tonight. And I include Ed Balls doing Gangnam again in that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fell into watching something called Fearless the other night (Thursday?) on ITV.

Was ep.1  Seemed to have a lot going on - will keep watching.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Season 2 of Black Sails is continuing the steady improvement since half way through Season 1 and is really good viewing. The writing has improved, it still looks wonderful and it seems to have raised the stakes significantly. Great stuff.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Watched the first episode of Riviera and found it to be quite pleasingly interesting viewing.. it looked as Rich as it should .. apart from I wasn't sure what to make of Julia Stiles.. still I'd watch another episode.

Just about to start watching Preacher on Amazon as I think I'm giving up with American Gods.. it's just to dull.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You're in luck, as Preacher is anything but dull. Kept me on my toes the whole way through.
  • Aye, Preacher was great fun. American Gods has been a huge disappointment. It's almost like they had no idea how to adapt a book for television and make it interesting.
    It's stylishly shot, but it's candy floss story telling. The episodes in the present day narrative just meander along going absolutely no-where, and the only two episodes that have risen above that level of mediocrity have both basically been hour long montages that have to fall back on pop music and narration to tell their stories.

disappointing

g.man
  • Finished House of Cards. Descending into farce at times but still wonderfully entertaining. Cinematogz and acting are amaze.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • :D
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Assuming you're up to date with it, I'm pretty sure that there's only one episode of AG left.
  • You are correct. We're about to get a season finale for a show where absolutely nothing of note has happened for the previous seven weeks.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I feel as if they've definitely stretched content out to try and get more seasons.

Personally felt the Vulcan bit was rubbish. Since I saw the stylish opening credits I was hoping they'd introduce more aspects of American culture like firearms/military fetishism into a "new" new God but Vulcan is definitely not what I was hoping for.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's stylish enough to get me back in for season 2, I reckon.
  • Vulcan was definitely a poor showing but I've no issue with the show really, but I think it's just pretty marmite. At least it isn't trying to trick you into thinking it's superior like Westworld, it's just revelling in its own little thing. Which is good because I don't often find shows that are doing that in a way that I like.
  • How does the book stack up against the TV adaptation?
  • It's been a long time since i've read it but it moved at no brisk pace from memory. Gaiman has definitely grabbed extra stuff to make it longer here though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!