The TV you like thread
  • UK Netflix to show new Rick and Morty on day of broadcast
    So that's this Sunday. Although it doesn't go out until 11:30 pm in America, so not sure when on Sunday they'll put it up. Still, avoids the need for piracy.
  • That is some amazing news! No need to wait or pirate!

Finished Season 2 of Black Sails this afternoon. Absolutely cracking series of TV. It has raised its game immensely this season and fulfilled the potential of season 1. The way it all converged at the end was very satisfying and the final episode was excellent.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I think Supernatural is the worst shit ever created, so Grimm is a step up. A small step up, mind, and I'd never recommend it to anyone.

Having watched both, I'd say supernatural season 1-5 is pretty watchable and fun. After that it gets quite rubbish. Grimm started OK and would have been better as a 10-12 episode a season show. Too much filler in a 24 episode season. I got bored after season 3 and never went back.
  • monkey wrote:
    UK Netflix to show new Rick and Morty on day of broadcast
    So that's this Sunday. Although it doesn't go out until 11:30 pm in America, so not sure when on Sunday they'll put it up. Still, avoids the need for piracy.

About fucking time a content provider just gave us what we want when we want it. I'm happy to pay.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    UK Netflix to show new Rick and Morty on day of broadcast

About fucking time a content provider just gave us what we want when we want it. I'm happy to pay.

Excellent news
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • They’ve been doing the same thing with Orphan Black ever since the BBC stopped broadcasting it over here. Still can’t get my head around that, with it being a BBC America production.

With Orphan Black, Netflix put each episode up at 00:01 in the morning after it’s been shown in Canada/USA.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Just finished fargo s3, best tv I've seen in ages. Want to watch it all over again, so much better than s2, which I thought was fairly shite all in all, despite the love it gets.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Matt Groening's got a new animation heading to Netflix next year with voices from most of the cast of Futurama and Noel Fielding.

http://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/4268/news-new-adult-animation-matt-groening#sthash.tQiXshIe.uxfs
  • US cartoons have been in such rude health for so long now it's going to be worth a half-season minimum.
  • But the drool face!
  • Junk TV. Guilty pleasures. First Dates has me smitten.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Matt Groening's got a new animation heading to Netflix next year with voices from most of the cast of Futurama and Noel Fielding. http://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/4268/news-new-adult-animation-matt-groening#sthash.tQiXshIe.uxfs

Matt Berry? That Matt Berry?
  • nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Just finished fargo s3, best tv I've seen in ages. Want to watch it all over again, so much better than s2, which I thought was fairly shite all in all, despite the love it gets.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Rewatched, good ep. Great series.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Matt Groening's got a new animation heading to Netflix next year with voices from most of the cast of Futurama and Noel Fielding. http://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/4268/news-new-adult-animation-matt-groening#sthash.tQiXshIe.uxfs

Matt Berry? That Matt Berry?

Presumably. Not too surprising seeing as he has that Noel Fielding and Matt Berry has that voice.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Finished Season 2 of Black Sails this afternoon. Absolutely cracking series of TV.

I spent the first two seasons fast-forwarding past all the Nassau bits. The land-based actors and characters were largely terrible, struggling to work with abysmal, cliche-laden writing. But the next two seasons are much better, and though the acting doesn't really improve beyond the mains, at least those lubbers are given a bit more to work with. Some of them finally get out to sea, etc.

Brooks wrote:
    US cartoons have been in such rude health for so long now it's going to be worth a half-season minimum.

I never watched The Simpsons beyond season 7 at the time (save a couple of episodes from 12), so I've gone through them until the end of S12 over the past couple of years. S8 was the last really good year. I think that they made two great mistakes after the Millennium: they didn't argue for lengthy, two-year-plus breaks in-between seasons; and they refused to start ageing the characters.

Homer's 34 in 1990, and ‘about’ 38 in 2000, so there was an admission. At around the same time that Homer was revealed as 38, Bart made a joke about how he should be 21. Beavis and Butt-Head were run into the ground during the '90s, but made a welcome return in 2011 and haven't been seen again. If only The Simpsons had limited themselves to 10 episodes per year at the most...

I wouldn't have aged them in realtime, though. Probably one year in their lives for every two or three in ours. Futurama suddenly felt fresh in '99 because Fry was 25 (y'know, and the space stuff). Bart should be 38 himself now, but he'd be 19 or so at post-Millennium half-speed. They've missed out on so much potential evolution as a family, and that's my main reason for being unable to watch any of the later episodes.
  • My main reason is that the jokes were weak as piss.

Lazy writing too.

Let's go to [spin globe] this country for no reason! Let's do some stereotypical gags at [ country] 's expense. Homer messes up. Lisa sorts it out. Everyone goes home.

See you all next week guys.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    My main reason is that the jokes were weak as piss.

They walked themselves into a stale corner by refusing to adapt. You can't keep reworking the same jokes, and they've missed out on so much emotional content via stasis.

It actually worked in their favour for their first ten years. The comfort of continuity. But now they feel like relics.
  • I remember Lisa had a birthday. Happy birthday Lisa.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The only character to age a year officially, from 7 to 8. A few years after that, they really turned on Mike.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Up to episode 7 of Twin Peaks, I know the next one will be something special.

Loving it a lot so far, have no clue what's going on and where this might go, but it probably won't be what you expect anyway.
  • I was not expecting that when I clicked the link.
  • Disguising links to country as other things is the way forward for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape wrote:
    I never watched The Simpsons beyond season 7 at the time (save a couple of episodes from 12), so I've gone through them until the end of S12 over the past couple of years. S8 was the last really good year. I think that they made two great mistakes after the Millennium: they didn't argue for lengthy, two-year-plus breaks in-between seasons; and they refused to start ageing the characters.

Homer's 34 in 1990, and ‘about’ 38 in 2000, so there was an admission. At around the same time that Homer was revealed as 38, Bart made a joke about how he should be 21. Beavis and Butt-Head were run into the ground during the '90s, but made a welcome return in 2011 and haven't been seen again. If only The Simpsons had limited themselves to 10 episodes per year at the most...

I wouldn't have aged them in realtime, though. Probably one year in their lives for every two or three in ours. Futurama suddenly felt fresh in '99 because Fry was 25 (y'know, and the space stuff). Bart should be 38 himself now, but he'd be 19 or so at post-Millennium half-speed. They've missed out on so much potential evolution as a family, and that's my main reason for being unable to watch any of the later episodes.

I wouldn't have aged the Simpsons at all. I don't think that is their problem. Cartoons enable you to freeze the age of the characters, and I don't think they should give that up.

The world the Simpsons came in to no longer exists, and the shows it was sending up are long gone. It has evolved as a show, although it's never going to find that same groove again now it is essentially the establishment.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Age them, don't age them, it doesn't really matter. The fact is that they ran out of ideas, they should have just knocked it on the head somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago and left people wanting more.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wouldn't have aged the Simpsons at all. I don't think that is their problem.

No other cartoon's had nearly as long a run, to the extent that I was Bart's age when I started watching it. The best part of my lifetime later, they haven't dared tackle what was so obviously going to make them an anachronism. It might not be their primary problem, but it became the Stampy in the room as the '90s closed.

They just needed to have had the balls to upset a lot of people at the time, trusting those same people to see the wisdom in it a few years later.
  • Aging them would have been worse than what we have now. They have done episodes where they are older which are entertaining as one offs but changes the dynamic far too much.

Fact is, while ratings and quality are falling it remains the top rated comedy series on Fox.

If you don't like where it has gone don't watch it, I don't anymore, but it's clear plenty of people still enjoy the show.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!