Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    changes the dynamic far too much.

Yeah, because Bart and Lisa are suddenly adults. It needed to be progressive, and a good bit slower than realtime to let us adjust to what would've been a dramatic, but ultimately very much worthwhile evolution.
  • I agree with Escape. They'd run out of road after 7 or 8 years and should have changed it if they weren't going to end it. Ageing the characters or bringing in new supporting ones would have given them fresh stuff to work with.

It still wouldn't have been as good and everyone would have blamed it on the change. They probably didn't think they'd still going for decades more either.
  • If you want to make an animated Modern Family then just do that, having Simpsons past as a millstone is sure fire fail.

TBH there are more than enough animated comedy shows out there, it's not really worth getting hung up on the Simpsons.
    Just watch F is for Family, Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty etc.
  • Aye, Simpsons is what it is, and I wouldn't want much change to it. A 19 year old Bart sounds utterly awful and not what I'd want to see at all. One off episodes and such are a different matter, but a continually aging family would be shit. We'd probably have killed off Grampa Simpson, who's  a brilliant character.
  • Watched the first 2 episodes of American Gods last night - really liked it. Loved the extremely odd, off kilter feel of it and it is absolutely gorgeous to look at.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • If you want to make an animated Modern Family then just do that, having Simpsons past as a millstone is sure fire fail.

I caught a bit of Modern Family the other day.  The episodes I'd seen before were quite amusing, it seemed far better than last previous round of American sit-coms (Big Bang, Mother etc).  This was a recent one though, and I couldn't work out if the precocious toddler was a send up of precocious toddlers in American sit-coms, or just a terribly unfunny precocious toddler.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The latter, but yes, MF is quality.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I disagree, I think it stayed good longer than most, in fact, I think it's still good now.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Watched the first 2 episodes of American Gods last night - really liked it. Loved the extremely odd, off kilter feel of it and it is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

He'all yea
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Started it the other week, finally got around to watching the last few last night, bloody lovely programme. I like Gaiman a lot anyway, but I love the ambition shown in American Gods by the makers, really happy to give a free reign
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Tempy wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Watched the first 2 episodes of American Gods last night - really liked it. Loved the extremely odd, off kilter feel of it and it is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

He'all yea

I'm also enjoying the disorienting feeling it's giving me - like I'm sure I should totally understand what's going on but instead are struggling to keep up, much like Shadow. It's nice to watch something that is so entirely the vision of two people (instead of by committee) and is so stylistically unique.

McShane is superb as ever and Czernobog and fam are almost exactly as I imagined them to be.
  • Yeah I loved it for those reasons too. Wouldn't want Fuller running most things, but Hannibal and AG were perfect fits.
  • I've never seen Hannibal, but it's on the list.
  • Hannibal was really really good.
  • One thing I will say for American Gods is that McShane is utterly magnificent
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also dead wife and the russian sister are both utterly wonderful creatures for the looking at
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • And yet Mad Sweeney is the only likeable character.
  • I like Gillian Anderson.

No wait, I fancy Gillian Anderson, carry on.
  • Gillian Anderson as a floating Marylin Monroe somehow ended up less attractive than Gillian Anderson as herself.
  • Because Gillian Anderson is the sex.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I thought Hannibal was very good. And then the third season happened and it wall went to shit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We'd probably have killed off Grampa Simpson, who's  a brilliant character.

Burns, too. But if this had averted my abandonment of the series twenty years ago, it would've at least been a successful change for me. Homer'd be coming up to retirement at the plant about now...

The majority of ageing resistance comes from Bart and Lisa entering their teens, but they'd become second-tier characters by 2000, and most of the others wouldn't have changed all that much. But their evolving lifetime phases would've given its writers a lot more to work with. Maybe they lost their nerve with “The Principal and the Pauper”, because that was the perfect time to start introducing big changes. (Creatively, not commercially.)

Soon after, we endured Basinger and Baldwin, Gary Coleman, Britney, Kid Rock, and NSync. You can't say that the signs weren't there. They were trying to track with the times with horribly shoehorned celebrities and pop-culture references, increasingly neglecting the most interesting aspect — their own characters' foibles. It's not as easy as saying ‘Write funnier episodes’, because after so many years with that cast — years of building affection for them, what became of them via their enforced commercial stasis is really quite sad.
  • All changes or lack of them are a gamble. By focussing on forward momentum people start giving a shit about plot and arcs and bollocks, when the simpsons has always had a red herring set up and plot free from any real constraints.

Even if it was a successful move you end up with 1000 year old judge dredd and so on.

Lisa is only notionally 8 at least. She did grow up even though her age was the same.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Lisa is only notionally 8 at least. She did grow up even though her age was the same.

That's one of the main reasons I have for supporting the idea. It absolutely feels as if they should've aged by now, but commercially, it was a bad idea to launch back then. So they went from being incredibly fresh and original to a product with zero free will, and that leaked into its being.

It's not that it's stale nearly as much as its staleness resulting from corporate railroading.
  • Finished The Handmaid's Tale last night. Hands down one of the greatest TV series I've seen - goes straight into my top 5. Was sceptical about whether or not they should do a second series but I'm now looking forward to seeing what they do with it. Top tier TV.

Started watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last night too, as an antidote to the gore fatigue of Preacher and American Gods. Found it quite amusing - only 2 episodes in but I'm going to persist as it's a pleasant enough watch.
  • We just finished episode 9 of Handmaids Tale and it's deffo dipped.. a strong last episode (there's 10 right?) could save it.

Last episode of Preacher was great.

Started Catastrophe last night. The most laugh out loud sitcom I've watched in ages.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Catastrophe remains ace. Definitely the best UK sitcom in years.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Are all the episodes of The Handmaid's Tale up on Ch4's iplayer then? I can't be done with one episode a week anymore, so I've been waiting to jump in.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Are all the episodes of The Handmaid's Tale up on Ch4's iplayer then? I can't be done with one episode a week anymore, so I've been waiting to jump in.

No, they've only got about the last 4 or 5 or so. Final one airs on Sunday.
    Bob wrote:
    We just finished episode 9 of Handmaids Tale and it's deffo dipped.. a strong last episode (there's 10 right?) could save it.

Last episode of Preacher was great.

Started Catastrophe last night. The most laugh out loud sitcom I've watched in ages.

Last episode of HT is astonishingly great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!