Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Demon's Crest.

It's OK, I actually tried it before but couldn't be arsed with fighting a dragon while I'm trying to figure out buttons.
    I did find it a bit fiddly. Often firing over or under enemies, could do with a crouch fire.

Might come back to this and didn't get enough of it to give it a score.
  • @Moot

Im happy for you to chuck me into the picking pool now if you like.
    Don't mind which faction, both if it helps or Nintendo to make up numbers.
  • Go for Nintendo this week if you like, platformer please.  Questor's MIA and Davy has his hands full with power supplies, adjustment pots and such.  I meant to go through some ROMs this evening to see what caught my eye for the Sega consoles, but got sidetracked.
  • OK cool will have a hunt this evening and find something mostly playable.
  • Here is my pick then.

The Jetsons - Invasion of the Planet Pirates

It's quite tricky but not broken difficult. Just remember to utilise the Hoover if stuck.
  • I've spent too long looks at lists, so I'll just settle on something I almost picked yesterday - Monster World IV on Megadrive.  It's the Wondergirlboy that didn't see a PAL release.  I'm pretty sure there's a ROM in English on my Pi, will have a look later.
  • Sweet, looking forward to both of these
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Slight snag,  I've just remembered the English language Monster World IV I played briefly would've been on XBLA.  I doubt there's a converted ROM knocking around, but you never know.  Will double check the Pi later.
  • I can play the Monster World collection on my Bone thanks to BC, so that's me sorted, but I doubt that helps anyone else.  Will also check if it'd be playable in Japanese.
  • MW4 is uploaded to the b 'n b Dropbox account. You can find it in the MD rom folder.
    It's a dejap translated rom so should work fine. Text displays in English so game is playable for English speaking audiences.

I'll upload the Jetsons rom too soon.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Also, if you're looking for interesting roms I suggest yuu yuu hakusho for the MD. Reasonably obscure game by Treasure, the devs behind gunstar heroes.

Do re mi Fantasy on the SNES is also a gem in the rough. Cutesy platformer done right.

MWiv looks fantastic and is a solid pick.

Playing through Wonderboy the dragon's trap remake now and it's amazing. Retro done right.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A counterpoint to Wonderboy on SNES is Hudson's Super Adventure Island. An early release with a nice soundtrack which is worthwhile trying.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gave Monsterboy a go, all be it in Japanese.
    I seemed to go right, a lot, there were some bubbles.
    Will see other's verdicts and grab the English sub next week I think.
  • I've played Yu Yu a few times.  I'm terrible at judging fightmans though, if a quarter circle doesn't produce a fireball these days I find it hard to muster the enthusiasm to delve deeper.  It seemed really impressive though, and probably a good game to put an hour or so into with a few mates, rather than 10 mins in sp.  

Surely Treasure has the highest batting average of any long-standing developer.  I don't think it'd be entirely crazy to suggest that they're responsible for one (or more) of the top 5 games on Megadrive, Saturn, N64, GBA, Dreamcast, PS2 and/or Wii.  Maybe it'd be a bit crazy if one person suggested it for all categories.  In general I mean, as a cross-section of opinions.  /waffle
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd rate Treasure pretty highly - looking at those platforms you have:

Gunstar Heroes on MD
    RSG and Guardian Heroes on Saturn
    Bangai O N64 & DC
    Sin & Punishment on N64
    Gradius V on PS2
    S & P 2 on Wii

all candidates for top 5 on those platforms.

There's Ikaruga on GC and DC too.

Even their mis-hits have some credit - quite fond on Warioworld on Gamecube for example.
  • They're the old Platinum Games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dynamite Headdy MD (even better than the excellent Gunster imo).  Astro Boy GBA.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ignorant of GBA despite owning an SP - had heard of Astro Boy though.

Not up on my Megadrive either if I'm honest.
  • I hope you get a massive urge to play handheld consoles in a few years, you've missed some gems.  GBA also had the Treasure boxing game, which I own but haven't devoted much time to.  Hajime no Ippo - supposedly very good.  

Alien Soldier gets a lot of love but I really don't like it, and I've tried many times.
  • Go Go Troublemakers was decent.
  • all be it

I wouldn't normally mention, but that's the second time I've spotted this over the last few days, albeit without actually recalling where the other one was.

:)
  • Only played it briefly, I've heard it's good but I didn't give it enough time.

The rest:

Super Gunster Heroes is reasonably good on its own merits but terrible when compared to the original imo.  The vertical shooting sections are surprisingly atrocious.  See also: Guardian Heroes Advance.

Tiny Toons on GBA is shocking from what I played.

Wasn't keen on Light Crusader.  

The McDonalds one was quite good (for a McDonalds game - also has some excellent translation issues).  

Freak Out was fun but nothing special.   

Never played Silhouette Mirage, looks great. 

also never played Silpheed on PS2.  

Bangai-O on DS seemed to be an excellent game ruined by overdoing things, it suffered from terrible slowdown.  The XBLA HD one might be good, but Level 3 destroyed me.  So tough, so early on.  

I don't recognise the rest of the games on the Wiki list that haven't been mentioned.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mischief Makers is a nice game - haven't played enough of it. It seems to have some nice replay value too - I still have the PAL cartridge CIB.

Silpheed is a 2D shooter with fake 3D graphics on PS2 and is nice but a bit of a yawn. It looks great though. It might have been a casualty of my clearout - will need to check.
  • Loving the Treasure love. What a fucking team.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They did a by-the-numbers platformer - Mc Donald Land - but I believe even that wasn't without some merit.

They are of course ex-Konami - devs of my beloved Parodius series.

WarioWorld on Gamecube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsa5kWUSGVk
  • I think the team at Konami who did Bucky o'Hare (nes) were pretty much the guys who left to become Treasure. Easily in my top 5 Nes games, arguably top 3.
  • Week after next will now be [insert Treasure pun] chaps, before continuing with the Vs thing.  Hopefully Jon can be coaxed back with some Dynamite Headdyness.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe we should think about setting some ports of games against each other? The Disney platformers spring to mind - I believe they were quite different on SNES and MD.

Maybe there are others to consider such as Alien, Castlevania , Streefighter, Aleste, Smash TV etc?  Don't have to be ports - just different entries in same series or licence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!