Catch-up time already for Nintendo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had the Choplifter III cart. Might still do but can't remember. Is side on - plays a bit Defender-esque if I remember right. Was enjoyable enough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Addams Family SNES run from ADGQ 2018. Must have been a late nighter going by lack of people in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbL5pQxLqg
  • Might give that a watch on the commute home.

I always liked the look of it but never got around to checking out out via emulation all these years later.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is tough and you start out with a 2 hit health bar but it increases by 1 heart with each boss so picking the order of bosses is important. The main hall has a few secret doors that lead to rooms with powerups and 1ups which sort of makes up for its toughness.  I completed this game a few years ago - without the game's helpful hands I would never have done it.
  • Puggsley's Scavenger Hunt for more Addam's Family on SNES. it's also pretty solid. Mostly by the numbers but a couple of levels stood out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Desert Strike's pretty much a stone cold classic in my mind and for me it's the quintessential Megadrive game. I remember playing this turn about with mates back when it was a new game. Happy memories.
  • Same here, it's not aged particularly great and with a bit of patience and approaching from the right angles you can kinda cheat your way to victory to a certain extent.

It's iconic as fuck though, true classic of the era.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of my mates got the official arcade stick for the MD at the same time. It had a rapid fire option which was great for the machine gun.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Desert Strike? 

What. A. Game.

What EA once giveth freely, it now takes away, with no shame.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • So I've been playing Desert strike abit and I'm pleasantly surprised in how well it's held up.

The visuals aren't anything to get excited about, they're functional and match the tone of the game.

The sound is missing music during gameplay leaving just the sfx to set the atmosphere. It could've benefited from some music kicking in when approaching targets and fire fights but maybe that's alot to ask.

Gameplay wise, the hooks still there for me. Swooping round a base and one shotting each enemy and not taking damage gives a great sense of satisfaction (as it's not bloody easy I can tell you), while managing fuel, ammo and your passenger load adds a sense of tactical nous.

There's plenty to do there in what could be considered an open world design and it plays really well. I'd certainly recommend going back to it and checking it out.

Look past the dated audio and whats left is still a great game.

Errrm, I'd give it an 8, maybe pushing a 9 out of 10.
  • Tonight's the night for me, should be able to do 30 mins on each.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Glad to hear Strike still holds up.

I tried Desert Strike on SNES - it was more of the same but I think it's more at home on the Megadrive.

Anyone who likes Strike will find a nice path to shmups via Under Defeat which has a similar feel while staying very much a vertical 2D shump.
  • The AI can be very unforgiving moot so I'll give you a couple of pointers that might help you get the best out of it.

Picking up MIA soldier's and dropping them at a landing zone will replenish your armour 100 points per man.

Fuel depletes fast so cycle through the map legends to find more, same goes for ammo.

Figure out what missiles to use on different enemy's to take them down in 1 or 2 shots, this will help you to not waste ammo.

Use the momentum control scheme, it's harder to master but allows you to swoop in and direct your missiles whilst still moving to avoid incoming fire.

Do the missions in the correct order or you will be gunned down real fast for some reason.

Enjoy.
  • Noted, thanks.  I really wanted to like Jungle Strike in '93, nearly bought it but opted for something else.  When I borrowed it I really struggled with the difficulty.  Think I barely got up to the bike on mission 2, had to get passwords to see the stealth fighter.
  • I had a go last Thursday and really struggled with the difficulty, it's a top game though shame I'll never see the end of it though!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I haven't got to the end yet. I've done the first two levels and they were tricky and took some time. I think the third level is the final one so I might tackle it some day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I meant to say Jungle Strike on SNES earlier....

I can also remember playing the Saturn version - Soviet Strike - which wasn't bad.
  • I would've bought the Saturn Soviet Strike port, but the mags suggested the scrolling was a bit jerky on that one.  I did buy Nuclear Strike when I bought a Playstation though.  Initially I thought the lack of vehicle switching was a step backwards from the latter 16-bit days, but it was a very good game.  Probably my favourite in the series.  [*BURN HIM*].
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There may well have been dodgy scrolling in Soviet Strike - didn't play it a lot and it was a long time ago when I was picking up whatever Saturn games I could - would have been when people were trading them in and the games were dirt cheap.
  • Played a bit of both this evening.  Choplifter seems like a 'proper' game - very arcadey, gets tough pretty quickly.  Controls quite well too, I could see myself enjoying a full save state numptyrun if I get time. 

Desert Strike still hates me, I'm awful at it.  It feels like it should have a strafe button.  Managed to get to the third objective before running out of ammo and getting blown up.  Helicopter sprite is quality, it's a very good looking game for 1992.  Madman Hussain lives to fight another day, but I'll try another stage or two with passwords later in the week.
  • It might benefit from a twin stick remake. I'd certainly buy into a new shinier version of trying to blow up those dastardly Iraqis.
  • Pretty sure you can strafe in the SNES version with the L/R buttons.

You can on MD too, you hold A and then use left and right on the D-Pad.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The A button fires the hellfires though?
  • I hope you're right, and if you are this is the reason why I've never got on with the game, and proof that I'm an idiot.
  • Just found this nugget:

The strafe moves are tied to the hellfire missiles, and I didn't see anything around that but good news the game recognizes the difference between a quick press (which fires missiles) and a press+hold (strafes) so you don't have to fire a missile to start strafing.

Great memory Retro!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ha. I think it was called "jinking" instead of strafing ? That might have been just me - was a good while ago now.

My mate bought the official stick and I remember it controlling really well with that.

We used to love the sound it made when you had run out of missiles - you got a clicking sound - usually followed by an explosion as you were taken out.  :)
  • Missed these last two posts for some reason.  I'll try again, whoops.  Only shut the Pi down recently though, played a bit more Choplifter instead.  It's pretty basic for a SNES game, and I can't really tell how good it is now that I'm using save states so frequently, but I'm having fun saving little people and blowing up large boss sprites lacking in detail.
  • The was a game of the Amiga very similar to Choplifter called Apocalypse.
    I only ever had a demo of the first level but I loved it, the helicopter handled a bit better than Choplifter which made a big difference.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!